FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/)
-   -   Current travel situation to Chile (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america/2052886-current-travel-situation-chile.html)

Yarhead Mar 27, 2022 5:01 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 (Post 34109703)
Had a very smooth experience landing in SCL today. One big line to the health document check where you have to show your pre-departure PCR test, traveller declaration/affidavit, and proof of insurance (they look for your name, valid dates, the word COVID-19 and the coverage amount). Then to the random PCR testing center which seemed to be almost everyone. Then another line to passport control.

All in all this only took 45 minutes from doors open to stepping outside the airport terminal. I received an email before leaving the airport from the ministry of health stating that quarantine was not required unless the arrival PCR test proved positive. I got the arrival PCR test results back in 5.5 hours.

Great! Had you done the mobility pass (for vaccine approval by Chilean government) previously? Is that still required? Seems like it is on their website, though the URL has been difficult to find

YYCCL3 Mar 27, 2022 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Yarhead (Post 34110594)
Great! Had you done the mobility pass (for vaccine approval by Chilean government) previously? Is that still required? Seems like it is on their website, though the URL has been difficult to find

I did do it about a month ago and yes it is still required. It took me about 48 hours to receive the mobility pass upon submission of my certificates.

Yarhead Mar 27, 2022 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 34100268)
Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason. One of ours was accepted without issue, one took three weeks to reject, and then accepted upon second upload the following day. (Same thing, same legibility.)

Glad it worked out. I was rejected too, but I wanted to ask you how you did the second upload. Did you start a new account or just use the same account be reupload the items in question?

13901 Mar 28, 2022 12:22 am

I'm considering some travel in Chile's north later this year and I was thinking of going into Bolivia and back out again, all on foot. Do the 'paso de movilidad' and testing requirements apply even for walking/driving through or are they only applicable on air travellers? Thanks!

Viajero Perpetuo Mar 28, 2022 8:47 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 34113083)
I'm considering some travel in Chile's north later this year and I was thinking of going into Bolivia and back out again, all on foot. Do the 'paso de movilidad' and testing requirements apply even for walking/driving through or are they only applicable on air travellers? Thanks!

Currently, all far north land borders are closed but monitor the official government site for announced reopenings and entry requirements.

13901 Mar 28, 2022 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo (Post 34113931)
Currently, all far north land borders are closed but monitor the official government site for announced reopenings and entry requirements.

Thank you Viajero Perpetuo! My idea of straying into Bolivia was mostly to get into Sajama, but if it doesn't work I can still do some trekking and camping in Lauca and be a (literal) happy camper.

On the topic of Lauca and thereabouts, I was told that there's no petrol stations beyond Arica. Since it's a good 150km to the border and back, plus ambling around and so on, I was planning on getting a vehicle with a large tank and, additionally, a jerrycan or two. However, from previous experiences, I was told by a motorist that travelling with a fuel can onboard (or inside the cab of the van) is a no-no from a legal PoV. Is that the case?

Viajero Perpetuo Mar 28, 2022 9:59 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 34114032)
Thank you Viajero Perpetuo! My idea of straying into Bolivia was mostly to get into Sajama, but if it doesn't work I can still do some trekking and camping in Lauca and be a (literal) happy camper.

On the topic of Lauca and thereabouts, I was told that there's no petrol stations beyond Arica. Since it's a good 150km to the border and back, plus ambling around and so on, I was planning on getting a vehicle with a large tank and, additionally, a jerrycan or two. However, from previous experiences, I was told by a motorist that travelling with a fuel can onboard (or inside the cab of the van) is a no-no from a legal PoV. Is that the case?

Have to lookup the exact law on the restrictions regarding gas cans onboard as I don't know the exact details. More important is the security situation along the border with Bolivia. The Chile control points may be closed but each day hundreds of illegal immigrants enter Chile on foot and then try to get rides to the cities. Traffickers of drugs, arms, people into Chile and stolen cars into Bolivia, etc. make for a not so safe situation.

Eastbay1K Mar 28, 2022 10:29 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 34113083)

As a wise FTer recently mentioned, probably not the best idea. Even a 1% risk of getting "stuck" in Bolivia because Chile won't let you back in is 1% too much for me. This is in addition to all the other issues.

No matter what you do, consider no less than a night in Putre for altitude acclimatization prior to physical activities of any exertion. It has been many years since I've been up there, but I won't forget the extreme headache I suffered. The issue isn't just the altitude, it is the rate of ascent to the elevation.

You've got not only the lack of fuel (although I expect that you will be able to arrange for some in Putre), you won't necessarily have a mobile device that will function everywhere, and you've got a climate that can kill you if things don't quite go according to plan.

Notwithstanding all of this, Lago Chungara was up there in the "priceless scenes of a lifetime" department. Making sure the tour van driver (I was in the passenger front seat) didn't completely fall asleep and drive off the road was up there in the "priceless experiences of a lifetime I'd rather not repeat" department - and this was someone who drove up there frequently, for a living.

13901 Mar 28, 2022 12:50 pm

Thank you both. Yes, perhaps the Bolivia part of the plan might need to be shelved for the foreseeable, especially as the car couldn’t be driven up there. But I’m a sucker for high altitude desert, having been in Atacama and the Pamirs in the past, and I just adore that vibe. We shall see… thanks for the suggestions!

davidgrahammd Apr 18, 2022 1:23 pm

Apparently, with todays update, pre-travel testing is no longer necessary??
  • Although it is not mandatory, we always advice you to undergo a diagnostic test before traveling.
  • The accreditation of vaccines to access the “Mobility Pass” (Pase de Movibilidad) is voluntary. We encourage you to apply for it, as the pass allows you to enter the inside lounges in restaurants, cinemas, theatres, and on bus trips, among others
  • Travel to Chile Plan

13901 Apr 27, 2022 9:27 am

[rumour-according to locals] Rapa Nui will be opening to visitors overseas from July 1st 2022.[/rumour]

behuman Apr 28, 2022 2:33 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 34200984)
Rapa Nui will be opening to visitors overseas from July 1st 2022.

Can't believe it :rolleyes:. Source ? All LATAM flights to IPC are still zeroed out.

13901 Apr 28, 2022 5:03 am

Mark a Kiwi who lives on the island, told me as much. It apparently is a decision being made by the local authorities, though the flights still need to be loaded. Original Post edited to clarify.

sullim4 May 18, 2022 9:12 pm

Quick point of clarification - is the $30k in mandatory COVID insurance per traveling party, or per person?

For example, if I get a policy with $50k worth of coverage for my wife and I, will that be sufficient? Or will I need to select a policy with $60k+ coverage, or two separate $30k policies?

Vamos5589 May 25, 2022 7:17 am

sullim4 - did you ever get any clarification or go to Chile and test it out?