FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/)
-   -   Current travel situation to Chile (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america/2052886-current-travel-situation-chile.html)

gcashin Dec 3, 2021 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Travelchase (Post 33777494)
Going on hour 7 of no results from PCR test. Got swabbed at 748 am at SCL. It’s pretty miserable sitting in a hotel room

I hope you’ve got your results by now! How long did it end up taking?

BlatheringPenguin Dec 4, 2021 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Travelchase (Post 33777494)
Going on hour 7 of no results from PCR test. Got swabbed at 748 am at SCL. It’s pretty miserable sitting in a hotel room

Curious if the instructions you received were clear about “quarantine until negative result received” vs. “quarantine for 7 days”. I’m aware of two cases of people entering since 1-Dec who should have been told “quarantine until negative result received” but have received “quarantine for 7 days”, but their pases de movilidad show as “enabled” when scanned, so who knows what the system really thinks they’re supposed to do.

Will be very curious to hear of other people who have entered since 1-Dec and what instructions they receive (and whether they match what the current rules say or not).

-BP

stan1162 Dec 4, 2021 5:18 pm

Just got back from Santiago/Puenta Arenas/ Antarctic cruise. From getting our tests upon arrival at SCL, until we go the results at the hotel, we got out to dinner after negative results at about 6:30 p.m. We were at the Mandarin Oriental, and could be much worse rooms to be stuck in til the results!

Between PCR's and Rapid, all totaled for the whole trip, we were tested 7 times. We had a fabulous time, and feel fortunate just to be able to have had this trip a go.

Any questions, be glad to answer if I can.

BlatheringPenguin Dec 5, 2021 4:33 am

Originally Posted by stan1162 (Post 33784641)
Just got back from Santiago/Puenta Arenas/ Antarctic cruise. From getting our tests upon arrival at SCL, until we go the results at the hotel, we got out to dinner after negative results at about 6:30 p.m. We were at the Mandarin Oriental, and could be much worse rooms to be stuck in til the results!

Between PCR's and Rapid, all totaled for the whole trip, we were tested 7 times. We had a fabulous time, and feel fortunate just to be able to have had this trip a go.

Any questions, be glad to answer if I can.

Note that the rules have changed since your travel. The rules were set to change on 1-Dec, with changes pre-announced several weeks ahead. Then omicron appeared and the rules for post-1-Dec were changed at the last minute. The situation seems to a bit of a mess right now with rules being applied inconsistently/inaccurately and/or that some rules aren't fully published. Local expectation is this should settle down over the coming week and clarity will emerge.

Glad you had a great trip!

Viajero Perpetuo Dec 5, 2021 6:26 am

On the TA Chile forum, it was also reported that the new December email sent to incoming tourists was very badly worded leading to shock and confusion.

I surmise the new December email text was not properly proofed. The only things that changed on December 1 was the continuation of mandatory arrival testing/isolation till negative test result, the extension to 7 days from 5 days for the mandatory quarantine of special case situations - aircrew, diplomats, special consular permissions, direct family members of citizens and residents who are not jabbed, the entry prohibition for a list of African countries and the mandatory arrival quarantine of Chilean citizens and residents who have passed through those countries within the past 14 days.

You can still continue onwards on a domestic flight after going through the process to isolate at your destination till negative test result.

Chile's first case of the new panic was discovered yesterday in the central zone in a resident who traveled from Ghana (which is not on the list put out by the health authorities).

The test still is free as of today.

TBD Dec 5, 2021 7:53 am

What? So the quarantine and testing waivers for vaccinated travelers is no longer available?

Viajero Perpetuo Dec 5, 2021 8:24 am

Originally Posted by TBD (Post 33785915)
What? So the quarantine and testing waivers for vaccinated travelers is no longer available?

Correct. The change to the December changes was made on November 29 due to the new variant panic.

TBD Dec 5, 2021 8:32 am

Lovely..

Eastbay1K Dec 7, 2021 9:32 am

Approval came in the 8 to 9 day range. So, as I understand it, the current state of affairs are:

1) Obtain approval re: vax proof upload. No approval, no go.
2) Upload negative test, insurance proof, etc., prior to departure.
3) Take test upon SCL arrival. No charge (as of today). Quarantine in hotel until negative test result received.
4) Good to go after negative result.

Correct?

aau Dec 8, 2021 1:42 am

Well I got my vaccine approval today. My departure is on Thursday so I was mentally prepared to cancel this trip. Now I'm scrambling to see if I can get everything together. Already did a PCR test this morning and had the results accepted by Verifly. Now I'm working on the travel authorization and its already asking for proof of medical insurance. Anyone have a link to something reputable I can purchase online and get proof of coverage right away? TIA

cheltzel Dec 8, 2021 6:40 am

with

Originally Posted by aau (Post 33794616)
Well I got my vaccine approval today. My departure is on Thursday so I was mentally prepared to cancel this trip. Now I'm scrambling to see if I can get everything together. Already did a PCR test this morning and had the results accepted by Verifly. Now I'm working on the travel authorization and its already asking for proof of medical insurance. Anyone have a link to something reputable I can purchase online and get proof of coverage right away? TIA

I have used an online insurance agency multiple times and found them to be thorough and quick, link at the end of the post. Make sure you are very specific up front with what you need. They do a lot of covid travel insurance and my guess is they will have a package for whatever you need.

In all transparency I have no relationship them (aside from being a customer) and I have never used them for traveling to Chile.

https://www.aardy.com/

unmesh Dec 8, 2021 4:23 pm

We were supposed to travel earlier this week but cancelled because one traveler in the group did not get their vaccination certificate approval in time for the flight. They did get it a day later and we are trying to rebook.

One question that we're struggling with it is whether we need to enter Chile within 45 days of the earliest person's approval date. (The fares have gone up significantly for December since the original booking). If we can't pull that off, do we have to wait until everyone's approval expires before applying through mevacuno again?

I asked on TA but did not get a definitive answer.

Thanks

BlatheringPenguin Dec 9, 2021 8:15 am

Originally Posted by unmesh (Post 33796669)
We were supposed to travel earlier this week but cancelled because one traveler in the group did not get their vaccination certificate approval in time for the flight. They did get it a day later and we are trying to rebook.

One question that we're struggling with it is whether we need to enter Chile within 45 days of the earliest person's approval date. (The fares have gone up significantly for December since the original booking). If we can't pull that off, do we have to wait until everyone's approval expires before applying through mevacuno again?

I asked on TA but did not get a definitive answer.

Thanks

Yes, That would be my interpretation - within 45 days of the earliest person's approval date.

BlatheringPenguin Dec 9, 2021 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 33792459)
Approval came in the 8 to 9 day range. So, as I understand it, the current state of affairs are:

1) Obtain approval re: vax proof upload. No approval, no go.
2) Upload negative test, insurance proof, etc., prior to departure.
3) Take test upon SCL arrival. No charge (as of today). Quarantine in hotel until negative test result received.
4) Good to go after negative result.

Correct?

Correct. I'm aware of people arriving in the past couple days who've had the rules applied correctly. I'm aware of people who arrived within the first couple of days of December who who were incorrectly put into 7 day quarantine and were unable to get the issue resolved, so simply did their quarantine. If at all possible I would not plan to arrive in the first few days after an expected rule change.

stan1162 Dec 9, 2021 5:49 pm

Insurance

Originally Posted by aau (Post 33794616)

Just go to squaremouth.com or insuremytrip.com.