Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt > Small Luxury Hotels (SLH)
Reload this Page >

Hyatt & Small Luxury Hotels Of The World Announce Partnership MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 59Impala
There is a Hyatt sub-forum for everything related to SLH, benefits, reviews, etc...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/small-luxury-hotels-slh-772/

would be nice if the forum would get a boost Cheers 59Impala

Paid stays are 10%+ cheaper if booked as an SLH member on its website. It, also, includes continental breakfast. (note from @59impala. I paid a 30% premium for The Plymouth Southbeach.) (antonius66 I observed 10-30% premiums for 2 hotels in Portugal over SLH direct, closer to 50% over OTAs)
A limited number of reviews of SLH properties may be found in the Other Hotel Chains Forum.
World of Hyatt members can earn 5 Base Points for every $1 USD spent on qualifying room rates and can redeem points for free nights at participating SLH hotels. It doesn't stop there, members can also enjoy exclusive in-hotel benefits when staying at a participating SLH hotel.
Complimentary continental breakfast for two
Complimentary Wi-Fi
Early check-in 12:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
Late check-out 2:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
One category room upgrade (based on availability at check-in)

Review Master Threads:
HGU New York: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1958701-hgu-new-york-slh-hotel.html
Byblos Art Hotel, Villa Amistà, Verona, Italy: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ing-hotel.html
SINA Centurion Palace - Venice, Italy - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...l#post31441012
Hotel Ranga - Iceland: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1984015-hotel-ranga-iceland-small-luxury-hotel.html#post31442837
137 PIllars House, Chiang Mai, Thailand https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...hiang-mai.html
1906 Lodge Coronado (San Diego), CA: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...sland-slh.html
137 Pillars Suites & Residences Bangkok, Thailand: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2007231-137-pillars-bangkok-small-luxury-hotel.html
Akyra Thonglor Bangkok, Thailand: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...er-thread.html
Opus XIV Bergen, Norway : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains/1983274-hotel-opus-xvi-small-luxury-hotels-bergen-norway.html
Ambassador Zurich, Switzerland: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...er-thread.html
Inverlochy Castle, Scotland UK: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...-scotland.html
Cromlix, Scotland UK: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...-scotland.html
Print Wikipost

Hyatt & Small Luxury Hotels Of The World Announce Partnership MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2021, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Fair enough. I can only speak to my experience. If it’s the same rate, no reason not to book. If it’s not the same rate (or if you have access to corporate/special rates), it’s not worth it IMO.
Not all of these hotels are the MO, Pen, or Aman - but when you can rack up Hyatt status benefits for a (oftentimes) small premium vs. the SLH-direct rate, there are a lot of positives for us plebeians

(also just redeemed 40K/night for a SLH hotel room that was going for 1,300 EUR/night...YMMV)
Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:59 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not all of these hotels are the MO, Pen, or Aman - but when you can rack up Hyatt status benefits for a (oftentimes) small premium vs. the SLH-direct rate, there are a lot of positives for us plebeians

(also just redeemed 40K/night for a SLH hotel room that was going for 1,300 EUR/night...YMMV)
I agree SLH is great for redemptions. For someone that books the majority of his Hyatt stays on UR points, I am satisfied with the partnership for this reason exclusively. There are a lot of very interesting SLH properties.

However, I fail to see how there is a benefit to booking SLH on cash rates if the WoH rate is meaningfully more expensive. Hyatt benefits at SLH are minimal and the perks are oftentimes not even exclusive to booking through Hyatt. There are also far cheaper ways to earn EQNs and especially Hyatt points. If you are close to hitting Globalist or even a milestone for suite upgrade certificates, maybe it’s worth the extra price? Idk I would still rather just pay the 1 point / dollar opportunity cost and put my Uber’s/tolls/whatever onto the WoH card and earn the EQN that way. Also, if you’re within the first $15K of annual spend on the WoH card, the opportunity cost is 0 and the EQNs are free.

So for me, the only situation where I think it could be worth booking a SLH rate on cash is when all the following are satisfied:

I have already hit $15K spend on my WoH card for the year
Price difference is less than $35/night
I’m close to a milestone reward that I am confident I wouldn’t otherwise hit

Idk just seems backwards to me to warp my behavior for a “loyalty” program. I want loyalty programs to reward me… I don’t want to reward the loyalty program. But, I also realize that this is a forum where people mattress run for status so I’m guessing this will fall on deaf ears. It’s probably impossible to convince people on the internet to change their preconceived notions on how to earn/spend money. To each their own.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 11:05 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well everyone needs to make their own decisions as you said. I've been assessing whether to book via SLH or Hyatt for a hotel in Vienna, Austria and given I won't know if there will be 3x earnings promo or something like that next year, it was easy to go with SLH directly (as a member of their loyalty program though).

Price difference for 4 nights for 2 rooms came out to ~500€ and benefits are same incl. breakfast (maybe minus a potential upgrade, who knows). Somehow, for this property, booking via Hyatt also meant getting charged a fully refundable deposit (rate cancelable 72hrs prior) and I wasn't keen on 1.5k € being charged like 9 months prior to my planned stay. So certainly YMMV and for each cash booking one needs to assess anew what fits.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 2:26 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Edit: wrong post

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Aug 25, 2022 at 12:15 am
Old Sep 4, 2021, 7:39 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by demue
Price difference for 4 nights for 2 rooms came out to ~500€ and benefits are same incl. breakfast (maybe minus a potential upgrade, who knows). Somehow, for this property, booking via Hyatt also meant getting charged a fully refundable deposit (rate cancelable 72hrs prior) and I wasn't keen on 1.5k € being charged like 9 months prior to my planned stay. So certainly YMMV and for each cash booking one needs to assess anew what fits.
I think you made the right decision. 500 euros for essentially the same benefits is just donating money to Hyatt lol. That sounds pretty bad. Not sure what level you are in INVITED but their mid-tier is eligible for complimentary room upgrades too. TBH, you could prob get a similar upgrade just by asking nicely.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by WasKnown
I think you made the right decision. 500 euros for essentially the same benefits is just donating money to Hyatt lol. That sounds pretty bad. Not sure what level you are in INVITED but their mid-tier is eligible for complimentary room upgrades too. TBH, you could prob get a similar upgrade just by asking nicely.
Agreed on saving the money. I'm just basic member in Invited though if that stay in Vienna happens I shall make it to the mid tier which comes with breakfast and possible upgrades. Handy if a rate should not include breakfast, though more often than not SLH hotels include it by default. YMMV.

As we said, points redemptions can be great value, for cash bookings to make sense to go via Hyatt a few stars need to align.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 5:52 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
Originally Posted by scillyisles
My experience when trying to book SLH hotels through Hyatt.com is that there is often limited to no availability whereas if you go to the SLH website there is lots of availability. For example we spent a month in France in August and tried many times to book SLH hotels through Hyatt - no availability and yet those same hotels we booked through SLH. For example we spent 14 nights at the Tiara Miramar Beach Hotel on the French Riviera - no availability on Hyatt.com both then and none as far as I can see in the future. We booked direct with SLH and there was and is lots of availability.
I'm trying to book the Miramar myself for 2022 and am seeing this exact issue. Do you have any idea of why it's not available through Hyatt?

Beyond the booking, what are your thoughts on the hotel? Would you recommend a stay?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I had dreams of Karuizawa Prince East coming in as a Cat 4...
At long last, Karuizawa Prince Hotel East can be booked using Hyatt points.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ja...tel-east/hndyk

Unfortunately, this hotel is rated a Cat 6, so not a very good value to be had with Hyatt points reservation. But if you're limiting yourself to using an international chain hotel, it's a better location than the Marriott option, and probably still cheaper than the Hilton option.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Just booked the Naxian Collection on Naxos for June. The cancellation terms seem to be a copy of the paid rate terms. I assume usual Hyatt cancellation terms for award nights will apply?
Realize this is a very old post but did you end up staying at the Naxian Collection? Have been looking at that property but not a lot of reviews from bloggers I'm familiar with.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by scillyisles
My experience when trying to book SLH hotels through Hyatt.com is that there is often limited to no availability whereas if you go to the SLH website there is lots of availability. For example we spent a month in France in August and tried many times to book SLH hotels through Hyatt - no availability and yet those same hotels we booked through SLH. For example we spent 14 nights at the Tiara Miramar Beach Hotel on the French Riviera - no availability on Hyatt.com both then and none as far as I can see in the future. We booked direct with SLH and there was and is lots of availability.
I am trying to book a SLH hotel in the Lake Como area for May, 2023 and am finding no availability through WOH. Perhaps I am trying too far in advance? Does anyone know how far in advance SLM inventory is loaded?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:08 am

SLH hotels seem to have more leway playing games with award availability than other Hyatt brands. Many times there's plenty of availability of base rooms on the SLH hotel site but on Hyatt theres restrictions (minimum night stay, no availability at all, or cash availability but not award availability). I've always thought about it as - if the property is confident it can sell a room directly for more than Hyatt's going to pay them, theyre going to be stingy with availability. We see these SLH hotels join/leave Hyatt a lot and many are in seasonal locations (Greece, Switzerland, etc).

Best bet is to check back often.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by ECR12
SLH hotels seem to have more leway playing games with award availability than other Hyatt brands. Many times there's plenty of availability of base rooms on the SLH hotel site but on Hyatt theres restrictions (minimum night stay, no availability at all, or cash availability but not award availability). I've always thought about it as - if the property is confident it can sell a room directly for more than Hyatt's going to pay them, theyre going to be stingy with availability. We see these SLH hotels join/leave Hyatt a lot and many are in seasonal locations (Greece, Switzerland, etc).

Yes the hotels I've booked do play games with availablity. They like the advertising on the Hyatt website but don't like paying Hyatt the commission. I'm sure Hyatt isn't a fan of paying the point redemptions either especially during an in demand timeframe.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:45 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold

SLH is not a Hyatt brand. It is a collection of independent hotels some of whom have a marketing relationship with WoH. Hyatt is also clear that SLH properties are free to not allow Free Night Award redemption, per the SLH T&Cs ...

"Some properties that otherwise qualify as a Participating SLH Property for purposes of these SLH Terms do not have standard rooms or otherwise do not participate in the redemption of Free Night Awards and, as a result, no Program award of any kind is redeemable at such properties (unless otherwise specified by Hyatt in other terms and conditions applicable to a particular award). No Program award may be redeemed at any Excluded SLH Property."
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Realize this is a very old post but did you end up staying at the Naxian Collection? Have been looking at that property but not a lot of reviews from bloggers I'm familiar with.
Yes we stayed there for 4 nights and thought it was splendid. Extremely stylish place, friendly and personable service. And the food was excellent - pricey but high quality fine dining so good value. The proximity to Agios Prokopios provides a wealth of other dining options - though a car is required.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:52 pm

Didn't end up staying at Naxian, but did have mostly positive experiences at both Canaves Oia Epitome (Santorini) and Summer Senses Luxury (Paros) last week. Canaves was points redemption (3 nights) + 1 paid night (SLH, not Hyatt). Awesome property (even though unfortunately didnt get an upgrade). Summer Senses I actually used Citi Prestige 4th night free benefit for the first time in years, the cash savings were well in excess of the Hyatt point value.

I've loved the partnership for redemptions but on cash stays the premium for booking through Hyatt is often well more than the value of the points (and most SLH offer free breakfast in base rates so minimal value to globalist benefits). Always worth doing the math though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.