Enso Ango (Fuya II) - A SLH Hotel

Old Jul 11, 19, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, MB Titanium, WoHyatt Disc, IHG Spire Amb, HHonors Diamond
Enso Ango (Fuya II) - A SLH Hotel

This Kyoto hotel is a recent addition to the portfolio of SLH Hotels which are bookable via Hyatt. They call themselves a “dispersed hotel” as the Enso Ango encompasses five different buildings in central Kyoto within a walking distance of 5 to 10 minutes. However, only one of the buildings, the Fuya II, is participating in SLH and therefore bookable via Hyatt.

The Enso Ango Fuya II has three types of Western twin rooms with a minimalist Japanese touch. The base twin room has a size of 24 sqm and was selling for approx. JPY 20,000 with taxes etc at the time of booking. At the same date the room was selling for approx. JPY 16,000 at the hotel website. Even at the Hyatt price this is a nice, reasonably priced and well located addition to the Hyatt portfolio in Kyoto when considering the highly overpriced HR or the coming PH. There was one negative point about the room I stayed in. It hat non-transparent windows in order to obstruct the view into the neighbouring residential buildings.

Every of the hotel buildings has a lounge. Every lounge is accessible to all guests of every building. The lounges serve continental breakfast in the morning btw. 6:30 to 9:30 (think coffee, juice, toast, corn flakes, miso soup etc), and Kyoto style nibbles and soft drinks during the rest of the day. Additionally there is a Spanish themed restaurant in Tomi II building serving what they call a “Pinchos buffet” until 11:00. One more breakfast choice can be found in a traditional Machiya building next to Tomi II, serving Japanese style set breakfast. The breakfast choices go for JPY 2,500 per person when not included in the room rate. At approx. 8:30 to 9:00 on a weekday morning, the lounges were quite full with guests having continental breakfast, while the buffet restaurant was empty, and I had the Machiya for my own while heaving Japanese breakfast.

I’m not sure if the two breakfast choices are included in the room rate when booking through Hyatt. When checking in it was no issue to get the 14:00 late check out, but the check in staff had no idea about upgrade and breakfast benefits. At the end of the day I got a one category upgrade and one breakfast voucher, but the free breakfast in the lounges seems to be adequate to a “complimentary continental breakfast” as described in the SLH participation terms.

Nevertheless, I liked the property quite a lot, also because of the convenient central location and the boutique ambiente, and would stay again when in need of some affordable Hyatt nights in Japan.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 15, 19, 12:55 pm

In my experience with this property, booking directly with the property instead of going through slh/hyatt saved ~20% with the only differences being no upgrade, early check in, or late check out. Being that we weren’t going to make good use of those it made sense for us, but ymmv
Old Jul 16, 19, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
yea going through hyatt to book this hotel is a lot more expensive, wonder if hyatt would fix that in the future and I think SLH don't have elite benefit?
Old Jul 23, 19, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The property is well done in the common areas. The lounges are pleasant and have simple but top notch coffee and bread (oh, the toasters!) and each has a little something the others don’t. The rooms are a bit standard Japanese business hotel, but that isn’t why we go.
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:29 pm

I've been here and I would not pay 15k again. The cash rate is always under $150, so there's no way I'd give 15k Hyatt or UR for that. In fact, going through my CSR, it only takes 9k there per night.

I would definitely pay $150 here due to the fact that it's really clean, aesthetically pleasing, and really close to the main street Shijo. It's also far enough that it's serenely quiet even during the day (it's in one of the small streets about 200m away from Shijo).

The breakfast was a disappointment. I expected at least meat. There were corn flakes, hard boiled eggs, bread, jelly, milk, orange juice, water, and coffee. Walked over to Enso Tomi (like 200m away) because I heard that the breakfast was there, but apparently you have to pay 2500yen. We opted to just walk around to get breakfast and found some extremely good traditional Japanese breakfasts. 500 yen for all you can eat vegetarian breakfast, and another 800 yen for 6 small dishes of Japanese cuisine. We had two breakfasts that day, what a delight.

So I definitely won't spent 15k UR/Hyatt there, but will gladly pay under $150 cash rate or 9k UR via portal (Search keywords Enso).
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:36 pm

Sorry for the double post, here is my full review:

Review

Due to me having some more Airbnb issues, this time solely my fault (SO had booked the wrong dates and I didn’t check), I had to use a FNC for a night here. This was one of two bookable hotel on points at a moments notice with the other one being an SLH for 60k a night.

Enso Ango Fuya II is a category 4 hotel and costs 15k to book per night. It is part of a dispersed hotel system. This means that there are several sites of faculties that require traversing outside to get to. As a guest of one site, you will have privileges to all the other sites. I don’t know how I feel about this because I'm used to pressing 2 to go to the gym, not google mapping it. Also, I walked into another site and they did not even screen me to see if I was a guest.

**First impressions:**

The whole hotel is very sleek, with a zen feel but with a modern touch. The whole lobby is very dark, but it felt appropriately dark.

When we got to our room, our eyes lit up. It is really small but it was very well lit, very clean, and still very pretty.

**Room - 4/5**

Pic of our tiny but lovely room: https://imgur.com/iS2Nxpk

The room is beautiful, clean, comfortable, and cozy, but it's incredibly small. We barely had any place to put our luggage though but on the plus side, we could push our twins together.

We were situated in a tight alleyway and a big annoyance for taxi drivers but we were two blocks away from the most popular street in Kyoto: Shijo. This was a big plus as a 3 min walk meant we were right in the middle of the action. There was also a supermarket one block away towards shijo so, even we could get things we want on our way out or back. Even better.

Around the neighborhood you’ll find amazing hole in wall, mom and pop shops, and places to eat and lots of department stores and food markets.

The location is ideal since it is close enough to everything but far enough to not have any foot traffic.

**Facilities: 1.5/5**

There’s no pool. I think there’s a spa somewhere in the other sites, but our site has a gym. The gym was treadmill gym with a bench and a ball, so don’t expect to get much of a workout here.

I went to like one other site for breakfast and found out that it wasn't free so I just walked out and had some great food.

**Dining: 1.5/5**

So the free breakfast items at this site was bread with Jam, hard boiled eggs, and some drinks. If you don’t have status, that’s all you’re getting.

If you want to have the paid breakfast then you had to make a 3 minute walk over to Enso Tomo, otherwise it will be 2500 yen ($25).

I recommend not to pay for breakfast because we were in such a good location that some googling and a short walk would give you some amazing options. We walked around, found a breakfast for 800 yen for 6 Japanese small dishes, rice and soup. Then when we were walking back, we found an all you can eat vegetarian breakfast for 500 yen. We had two breakfasts that day.

**Other amenities:**

They have bikes for rent.

**Overall: 3/5**

The reason why it scored so low is not because the hotel sucks. I actually really enjoyed my stay here. It was clean, it was beautiful, it was in an ideal location, but it is freaking 15k Hyatt points a night. It's totally not worth it for the amenities you get, which is pretty much nothing.

The alternative is Hyatt regency Kyoto at 25k and Hyatt regency Osaka (which is roughly an hour away via JR) at 8k. HR in Osaka is older than my dead grandmother and is in a terrible location. It is however only 8k, and they offer a pretty decent breakfast and a really good evening service (one of the best I’ve ever had really), so if you are have status you’d be getting a lot of free food for only 8k a night.

**Pro tip:** This hotel is category 4 and requires 15k Hyatt points. The daily rates go for like $200+ on Hyatt website. I would not pay either rates for this, but it's discounted heavily on expedia. You know what that means: You can snag it up on the Chase portal for 1.5x for under 9k UR. Search in Kyoto and keywords "Enso" so you can see their full list, I believe the other sister hotels are there at even less than 9k.

Last edited by NightFury1; Aug 20, 19 at 12:23 pm
Old Aug 20, 19, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
If you book directly with the hotel (or via Chase portal) rather than Hyatt, will Explorist benefits kick in?

Are the lounges accessible for all guests?

And can anyone confirm if Explorists get free buffet breakfast?
Old Aug 20, 19, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
If you book directly with the hotel (or via Chase portal) rather than Hyatt, will Explorist benefits kick in?

Are the lounges accessible for all guests?

And can anyone confirm if Explorists get free buffet breakfast?
All Hyatt members get the same benefits if booked via Hyatt. Going over the SLH benefits, I don't believe any explorists get the buffet breakfast. The complimentary continental breakfast is a joke.

Lounges are accessible to all guests.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 5:37 am

I actually used points to book this hotel for next year (during peak cherry blossom season in Kyoto, so cash rates are well over $300). It seems to me that there's only 1 room available for points booking at a time, since if you search for the dates of my booking, there are no more rooms left, but any dates outside of that still has rooms available via points.
Old Sep 25, 19, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by slowreactor View Post
I actually used points to book this hotel for next year (during peak cherry blossom season in Kyoto, so cash rates are well over $300). It seems to me that there's only 1 room available for points booking at a time, since if you search for the dates of my booking, there are no more rooms left, but any dates outside of that still has rooms available via points.
I don't believe that's the case actually - I have a reservation next April for two nights using free night certificates (so they're booked into the room available via points). When I search I can still see availability. My dates are $478/night so a solid deal on points!

Search this Thread