Ambassador Zurich (SLH) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:56 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Ambassador Zurich (SLH) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

We decided to do a one-nighter in order to take full advantage of the Double Points Promo - 2/15 to 5/15 (after 2nd stay) promotion. We live just about 20 minutes from Zurich and chose The Ambassador. It had the cheapest rates of all WoH hotels in Switzerland for the respective night, and if checking out before March 2nd, we also could benefit from the 3000 bonus points for staying at SLH. The stay did not post after 5 days, so I completed the form on the WOH website and it was credited within 48 hours.

Check-in was very efficient and friendly. We were first offered either sparkling wine, beer or OJ to enjoy during the check-in. Once completed, we sat in the lobby area to finish our drinks.
I was greeted as a WOH member. No upgrade to a higher category, although available for sale on the SLH website (Hyatt showed "sold out"). I however did not push, as it was for just 1 night, and I had requested a room with a shower, not bathtub, so that could have been a reason for no upgrade.

We chose the "Ambassador Superior" room, which was the middle category of 5 room types. The "Ambassador Classic" and "Ambassador Classic Plus" are more intended as single rooms.
This size of 25 sqm (around 280 sqf) was a decent size, especially for Switzerland. Nice Bathroom with shower.

When we first sat on our beds, we were shocked how soft the mattresses were. However, we then figured out, they were adjustable beds and actually extremely comfortable! we slept 9.30 hours, which is extremely unusual for us (I typically sleep 6.30 hours max).
Room was very quiet, although in the corner of a very frequented street.

Location is excellent. Right behind the Opera house and Bellevue/Sechselutenplatz, 10 minutes by foot from the Old Town. 1 minute and across a major street, and you are directly on wonderful Lake Zurich with ideal possibilities for extensive walks along the lake.

Restaurants
There are 2 Gault Millau restaurants (1 in the building, 1 across the street) - we did not try those. We are meat eaters, but love vegetarian food as well. So if anybody needs a recommendation for vegetarian food: We suggest trying "Tibits". It is a self serve buffet style restaurant, you pay by weight. But quality is exquisite, and selection extensive. Tibits belongs to the Hiltl Group, the first vegetarian restaurant at least in Europe.

Breakfast
Contrary to the SLH benefit of "continental breakfst included", a full breakfast buffet was available at no charge (regular price around USD/CHF 35). Very nice selection of cheese, cold meats and various fish, fresh fruit, a couple of juices, wide selection of breads. Hot offerings: scrambled eggs, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes. Various eggs were made-to-order and included, cappuccino, etc. Excellent breakfast.

Would I recommend this hotel?
Yes, it is a good hotel and the price was ok. Obviously the Park Hyatt, which is about 15 minutes away on foot is better, rooms bigger and nicer. But The Ambassador Zurich is a good option. I probably would chose the PH though.
Football Fan likes this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Mar 8, 2020 at 11:55 pm
Old Jul 14, 2023, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I am staying here at present, check out tomorrow. A four night stay.

The Good:

As the original poster said, the location is very good. You are one block from the lake, tram stop and also a train station are up the street. A lot of restaurants and stores in the area. There is a supermarket up the road and they do have a refrigerator/mini bar that you can raid for free, except for the hard alcohol (its water, soda and I think 1 or 2 beers). But it has room if you want to add anything you buy or have leftovers from dinner.

The room is fairly small, I dont think I was upgraded from the room I selected. But its functional and the air conditioning works well (it was hot a couple of days in Zurich).

Breakfast for Hyatt members is the continental breakfast, there is no buffet anymore. But this includes an egg dish to order. You also get bread with butter and jam, some cheese and meat (ham) coffee, water and a juice. Its actually pretty filling and pretty solid. Its 28 CHF per person on the menu, I believe, per person, so its a pretty good benefit.

The not so good:

the TV didnt work, though they were able to fix it. The shower door doesnt open all the way, it gets caught on the floor. Its just sort of sloppy in that they cant fix this or think this is acceptable. You shouldnt need to shimmy your way into the shower at a place charging $600 a night. It seems like other guests are having problems. At least three times walking through the lobby I have seen guests complaining about what sounded like some major issues. Some staff members seem really comportment, a couple however seem completely lost. Maybe they are new?

Overall, its a decent hotel, but something just seems a bit off. If I am in Zurich again, not sure I would stay here again. I would probably give it a 7 out of 10.
59Impala likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:14 am
j_x

Programs: UA Silver; DL Silver
I just wrapped up a one-night stay here for an extended layover in Zurich. Used some Hyatt points before the upcoming SLH disconnect.

I agree with most of the above points, but here's some specifics:

Location is indeed very good, extremely walkable from the Stadelhofen train station, and there's a 16 train that runs direct to the airport every half hour.
Views on the lake are beautiful and walking into town grants you a good view during the mornings and evenings, especially of the opera house next door. Also being halfway between botanical gardens/Old Town is appreciated.
Didn't eat in the area so can't speak to that.

Booked an Ambassador Superior room, appear to have received that. Note that I was solo traveling and realized about halfway through the night that the king bed was made up of two doubles; they had done quite a good job of hiding the seam but not fantastic.
Complimentary chocolate was in room as an arrival gift, and minibar is also all complimentary - for me, there were two spring waters, two Diet Cokes, and two beers. Also a packet of vacuum sealed roasted peanuts that was damn near impossible to open.

Service was fine - I had no issues. They granted early check-in around 10am, and late checkout around 2pm. Because checkin was at 10am, I didn't receive any theatrics or amenities - but that's fine with me.

Regarding breakfast, look here on their website's breakfast section. This image is the continental tray that is included, everything on there is decent. They also include one egg dish to order (this menu, upper left on page 4, everything under 10CHF there), and include juices and coffees.
Would say that the breakfast itself quite good (egg was made well, the singular ding was that the croissant was not very fresh), but perhaps a different set menu would be nice instead of some mismashed instructions.

Would stay here again for tourism, maybe not for business.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 5:56 am

Programs: Travel Agent for Four Seasons Preferred program, Marriott Stars, Hyatt Prive, Rosewood Elite
Does anyone experience noise issues in the room?
Old Apr 15, 2024, 8:38 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Phillbsb1979
Does anyone experience noise issues in the room?
I did not experience street noise on my stay

When are you staying? mind that this hotel will leave WOH, as the partnership with SLS will end in May.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.