Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unlock Status Credits without Flying

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Now I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and convert all points to miles to get the 15%...or save to be able to convert some into a OW airline (maybe BA) if needed...decisions, decisions.
renila likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by bpk6h
Now I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and convert all points to miles to get the 15%...or save to be able to convert some into a OW airline (maybe BA) if needed...decisions, decisions.
Yes it is a tough decision. The good thing about being PPS is that the miles never expire so long as you are a PPS member while for other OW programs, it may expire if there are no activity within the stated period (e.g. CX). For me, I used to maintain miles in CX but have largely used them up just prior to the pandemic. I travelled largely around Asia and if I want to fly direct, the choices are typically Star Alliance partners (e.g. SQ, BR, TG, NH) more than OW airlines. So i chose to park my miles with SQ though it is not the best idea to park all eggs in the basket.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:11 pm

Yes, I was CX DM for a number of years and BA Gold before that but used all the miles too! You are right about Star Alliance offering good options around APAC and miles expiration is not a concern given PPS at least through 2028 not to mention priority redemption with SQ. Thinking this through, I suppose going to the US it becomes JL/CX versus NH/BR/UA as alternatives to SQ (and SQ's TPE-LAX is something I could make good use of if it remains on the schedule). Thus, the only other consideration for me is SIN-LHR and having some currency for London-EU flights (if I want to avoid connecting on LH,LX, OS and SK intra Europe) as well as a domestic US alternative to UA. We probably won't stay in SG for the longer term but perhaps that's what the next balance of credit card points will be for :-)

​​​​​

Last edited by bpk6h; Nov 11, 2021 at 9:44 pm
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by sam_goh
Thanks to you 3 as well. I was just about to post this as I noticed I received the 15% bonus but not on elite requalification. I'm tempted to transfer another 200k just to see if my status updates to 2023 immediately but I guess I could transfer less and wait till Dec 14th to find out
The qualifying of elite on SQ is not in calendar year, am I right? If I transfer twice as what the elite requires in 2021, the expiration willl automatically go to 2023.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by hclee01
Assuming if the unlock status miles credit campaign does not get extended after it finishes in end Feb 2022, you would need to transfer 250K and posted to your account by 29 Feb 2022 to get the elite miles to extend your gold status to 30 Nov 2023. After Feb 2022, you will need to fly 50K elite miles to renew your KF Gold Status.

If you are able to transfer credit card miles and get it posted by 22 Nov 2021, you will only need to transfer 220K miles (as the 15% bonus will be eligible for elite miles credit).
Hello I am newbie to SQ. I found this thread a little confused. I have transfered and get 50k elite mile for gold, the expiration date is 09/30/22. If I will do another transfer in 2021, will it extend the expiration date to 09/30/23?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:07 pm

It is a little weird in my case. I transferred to get 25k elite for silver before Sep. Then I transferred one more time to get another 25k for gold and now the expiration date is 09/30/22. However, in the requalification page, it only shows the requalification for gold, and the requalifcation is only 25k elite. I was wondering if I transfer 109k miles to get 25k elite miles on 11/22/21, after taking account 15%. Will it extend to 09/30/23 or 11/22/22 or 11/22/23 or just stay at 09/30/22?

Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by stmadfish
It is a little weird in my case. I transferred to get 25k elite for silver before Sep. Then I transferred one more time to get another 25k for gold and now the expiration date is 09/30/22. However, in the requalification page, it only shows the requalification for gold, and the requalifcation is only 25k elite. I was wondering if I transfer 109k miles to get 25k elite miles on 11/22/21, after taking account 15%. Will it extend to 09/30/23 or 11/22/22 or 11/22/23 or just stay at 09/30/22?

Based on what it is shown in your dashboard, once you earned the 25K additional elite miles now, your KF elite status will be shown that you have qualified for Gold renewal and hence when it reaches 30 Sep 2022, it will be renewed for another year till 30 Sep 2023. Any excess elite miles following the requalification from now till Sep 2022 will not be carried forward AFAIK.
stmadfish likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
So my bank's transfer ratio is 1.6 bank points = 1 Krisflyer mile.

With this, how many bank points should I transfer to get Star Gold?
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt, Marriott
I am not familiar with Krislfly because I was addicted to UA. To take advantage of this deal, I transfer many points to SQ and got SQ gold. But I did not get any PPS value from this transfer. Is this normal? Or what should I do to get PPS value? Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by willliamjia
I am not familiar with Krislfly because I was addicted to UA. To take advantage of this deal, I transfer many points to SQ and got SQ gold. But I did not get any PPS value from this transfer. Is this normal? Or what should I do to get PPS value? Thanks
PPS valus is only given for existing PPS members. Existing non-PPS KrisFlyer members and newly-joined KrisFlyer members will only earn elite miles. You can refer to the FAQ page for details:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...tatus-credits/

Qn 5: I am a KrisFlyer member, can I earn Elite miles or PPS Value through this campaign?

KrisFlyer members will be able to earn Elite miles through this campaign to qualify for upgrade to the Elite Silver or Elite Gold tier. KrisFlyer members will not be eligible to earn PPS Value through this campaign.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
So my bank's transfer ratio is 1.6 bank points = 1 Krisflyer mile.

With this, how many bank points should I transfer to get Star Gold?
Assuming that your bank credit card is participating in this promotion and you are able to get the points credited to your account by 22 Nov 2021, you will earn bonus 15% miles, which will earn elite miles too, and that currently you have zero elite miles in your account at basic KF level.

As such, you will roughly need to credit 217,400 miles to your KF account. With the 15% miles thrown in, it will be around 250K miles credited to your account, which works up to 50K elite status miles.

Based on your credit card transfer rate of 1.6 points to 1 mile, you will need to transfer 347,840 points to earn 217,400 miles.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by hclee01
PPS valus is only given for existing PPS members. Existing non-PPS KrisFlyer members and newly-joined KrisFlyer members will only earn elite miles. You can refer to the FAQ page for details:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...tatus-credits/

Qn 5: I am a KrisFlyer member, can I earn Elite miles or PPS Value through this campaign?

KrisFlyer members will be able to earn Elite miles through this campaign to qualify for upgrade to the Elite Silver or Elite Gold tier. KrisFlyer members will not be eligible to earn PPS Value through this campaign.

understand, thanks
Old Nov 14, 2021, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As I contemplate whether and how many more MR points to transfer in, I'm trying to figure out if there's any marginal benefit to me for achieving KF Gold. Apart from *A Gold (which I already have lifetime through UA) it doesn't look like there's much benefit. In particular, it doesn't appear that any of the award redemption service charges (such as fees to change or refund awards) are waived - is that correct?
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:11 pm

My personal opinion - if you have *A Gold already, I don't see much additional benefit. There are a few awards that can be earned as you accrue miles if you fly SQ but the awards really aren't much. The real difference with SQ kicks in at PPS/Solitaire and one could argue it's a stingy program even at that level. Such simple things could be added such as free unlimited wifi for Solitaire members or perhaps 2 upgrade certificates upon renewal (as it is you need to book around $55K USD of F/J flights to obtain two upgrades). I'm digressing...:-)
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by bpk6h; Nov 14, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Old Nov 14, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by bpk6h
My personal opinion - if you have *A Gold already, I don't see much additional benefit. There are a few awards that can be earned as you accrue miles if you fly SQ but the awards really aren't much. The real difference with SQ kicks in at PPS/Solitaire and one could argue it's a stingy program even at that level. Such simple things could be added such as free unlimited wifi for Solitaire members or perhaps 2 upgrade certificates upon renewal (as it is you need to book around $55K USD of F/J flights to obtain two upgrades). I'm digressing...:-)
it also shows the power SQ commands on premium air travel market. It does not have to offer much to fill seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.