Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$23,000 trip in F on A380 SIN-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
So maybe the best thing you can tell your friend is maybe to take off his blog entirely and write a new one .. maybe about travelling in economy especially when he has no etiquette when travelling / behaving in First / Suite Class.
No etiquette in First and Suite Class?! Now this is unnecessarily elitist - and so wrong.

All I had seen on the blog showed this chap casually (some might argue, stylishly) dressed to be comfortable on a long flight. Whether in cash or miles, he had paid for his suite. In return, he should be well be entitled to dress in whatever he feels comfortable in to enjoy the end to end experience - if he is most comfortable in khaki shorts and bare feet, that's his right.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by Aeran
Thought I'd chime in on this since I know Derek personally (served NS together + alumni from his university).

He's a very nice guy and I don't think he thought the blog would get this much attention. Not that plagiarism is ever warranted, but he isn't a travel 'blogger' and doesn't make any money off of his site or Medium - its just for fun and sharing with friends.

If you look at his site & medium, he only has 8 and 4 posts (respectively) over 8 years, with 2 in the former being about random things like a home-made flamethrower or automating his dorm room. Besides this SQ one, all of his other travel-related posts are about travelling economically for very cheap (e.g. 1 month across Russia for $1,175).

Thus I don't think he is similar to - or trying to be - a luxury travel blogger like the ones most of us at FT keep up on. He blogs rarely, and about things that may interest his friends; plus he has no ads / credit card signups / etc for any form of revenue. It's just for fun.

Again, this isn't an excuse for plagiarism but I think we need to take perspective that he isn't another 'blogger' trying to gain fame and fortune by stealing others' work, nor did he anticipate it spreading so quickly beyond his group of friends and getting so viral.
Perhaps you are too quick to defend him? Afterall, it has been a while since your NS days? Not sure if you are that up to date with his mindset now, and I think you will not want to defend his current state that much, without knowing his current thinking.

If he did it for fun, but the plagiarism is already discovered and viral, he could apologise and take it down. But retaining it there and gaining publicity, I cannot be sure if there is really no benefits for him.

And the way he has written the article, it was certainly all out to seek attention. He is just stupid to think that plagiarism of witty-lines will get him far. He got the short-term attention, but he lost credibility.

At least we can agree his blatant plagiarism is plain poor. [a case of trying too hard and backfired.]
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
No etiquette in First and Suite Class?! Now this is unnecessarily elitist - and so wrong.
+1 This is along the same lines as bringing your kids on First Class. And frankly, even as a straight guy, I'd rather be sitting in a cabin full of shirtless adult men (so long as there's no contact and no smell) than I would in a cabin with even a single child. So shorts and flip-flops to me are quite acceptable. We're long past the days when you dress up for air travel, even in FC. Most airlines won't treat you like royalty for flying FC, so why would you dress like royalty?

Originally Posted by ZenWorld
And the way he has written the article, it was certainly all out to seek attention. He is just stupid to think that plagiarism of witty-lines will get him far. He got the short-term attention, but he lost credibility.

At least we can agree his blatant plagiarism is plain poor. [a case of trying too hard and backfired.]
I agree with your comment. We all want attention, the difference is---there's positive attention seeking, and negative attention seeking..... when you find yourself looking at other peoples posts so you can pick and choose some comments to throw in that will garner some laughs, that's definitely negative.

Also, it's strange that he says "it was completely unattainable for most people," then throws in a quick blurb about his FFM's, doesn't explain diddly about how they work and that it took a "colossal" amount (definitely relative), and now it seems that he is NOT most people. Frankly, the word colossal made me think it was significantly more than a saver FC international award on United, but it really isn't.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by FTRox87
I still dont get it why this gay dude is getting all this publicity
Did he make his sexual orientation relevant to his trip report? If not, why are you commenting on it?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
And here goes the FT snowball... somehow we have gone from a plagiarized post to comments on education, class, sexual orientation and the old favorite kids in FC........
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
Did he make his sexual orientation relevant to his trip report? If not, why are you commenting on it?
He took it out, and whipped it across the face of all the commoners. I'd say that's relevant JK.

Originally Posted by rajsbasi
And here goes the FT snowball... somehow we have gone from a plagiarized post to comments on education, class, sexual orientation and the old favorite kids in FC........
"plagiarized post" is soooo droll. Gotta spice it up with the rest!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:40 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by daniellam
But isn't Comp Science one of those courses that rote learners do well in anyways?
No.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:45 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
So maybe the best thing you can tell your friend is maybe to take off his blog entirely and write a new one .. maybe about travelling in economy especially when he has no etiquette when travelling / behaving in First / Suite Class.
Seems like the suites require less etiquette, due to greater privacy between one passenger and another compared to economy class.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by tjl
Seems like the suites require less etiquette, due to greater privacy between one passenger and another compared to economy class.
I think the etiquette that counts in this context is how one behaves toward others in their presence. If you get worked up about what others are wearing in your cabin, you've gone far beyond anything that really affects you. At that point, you're spouting off about how others should be the way you'd like them to be.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:07 pm

I think the etiquette that counts in this context is how one behaves toward others in their presence. If you get worked up about what others are wearing in your cabin, you've gone far beyond anything that really affects you. At that point, you're spouting off about how others should be the way you'd like them to be.
BAM! Nailed it.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Does anyone remember the days when people dressed up to fly - even in coach? And I think at one time BA would ban anyone from wearing t shirts or shorts whilst flying in the First cabin.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold

All I had seen on the blog showed this chap casually (some might argue, stylishly) dressed to be comfortable on a long flight. Whether in cash or miles, he had paid for his suite. In return, he should be well be entitled to dress in whatever he feels comfortable in to enjoy the end to end experience - if he is most comfortable in khaki shorts and bare feet, that's his right.
+1. Well said. Thank you.

Last edited by im.daniel; Oct 4, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:26 am

I don't see how the blogger hasn't "behaved [well] toward others" and by others I presume you're referring to cabin crew since the blog didn't mention much about other co-passengers in Suites.

As I had read, he was respectful to cabin crew particularly the chief steward who served him and intrigued in engaging in conversations about choice of coffee, tea and movies. And throughout mindfully excited at and appreciative of the experience.

And I doubt the other passengers would've been offended at his behavior as most of the actions that reflected his excitement were done behind close doors of his suite.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: KE/OZ/QF/VA
Hmmm, as an inexperience forum user/write I try to read other people's blogs and try to learn different styles of writing and structuring a blog posts as one day I would like to write my own blog posts about my person experiences. When i first came across this post on my local news website, I found it very interesting and was impressed with the pictures. but after reading this thread about plagiarism, my view towards the blog has changed and find it pathetic how he just bluntly plagiarised other people's words.

In regards to etiquette travelling in First and Business, I don't think he behaved or what he was wearing was out of the line. It shouldn't bother other people as long as you don't disturb other passengers around you and as long as you are wearing clean, smart clothing.

Last edited by kp88; Oct 4, 2014 at 2:42 am Reason: additional content
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:01 am

I don't see how the blogger hasn't "behaved [well] toward others" and by others I presume you're referring to cabin crew since the blog didn't mention much about other co-passengers in Suites.
He hadn't behaved badly towards others. I think that was dhuey's point. People are worked up because of the clothes he wore, when it really doesn't matter.

Does anyone remember the days when people dressed up to fly - even in coach? And I think at one time BA would ban anyone from wearing t shirts or shorts whilst flying in the First cabin.
The same people who remember dressing up to fly coach will also remember that "coach" wasn't anything like what it is today.... at all.
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/07/667...es-flying.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.