Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$23,000 trip in F on A380 SIN-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold; Accor Plat; SQ/TG
Thought I'd chime in on this since I know Derek personally (served NS together + alumni from his university).

He's a very nice guy and I don't think he thought the blog would get this much attention. Not that plagiarism is ever warranted, but he isn't a travel 'blogger' and doesn't make any money off of his site or Medium - its just for fun and sharing with friends.

If you look at his site & medium, he only has 8 and 4 posts (respectively) over 8 years, with 2 in the former being about random things like a home-made flamethrower or automating his dorm room. Besides this SQ one, all of his other travel-related posts are about travelling economically for very cheap (e.g. 1 month across Russia for $1,175).

Thus I don't think he is similar to - or trying to be - a luxury travel blogger like the ones most of us at FT keep up on. He blogs rarely, and about things that may interest his friends; plus he has no ads / credit card signups / etc for any form of revenue. It's just for fun.

Again, this isn't an excuse for plagiarism but I think we need to take perspective that he isn't another 'blogger' trying to gain fame and fortune by stealing others' work, nor did he anticipate it spreading so quickly beyond his group of friends and getting so viral.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Originally Posted by Aeran
Again, this isn't an excuse for plagiarism but I think we need to take perspective that he isn't another 'blogger' trying to gain fame and fortune by stealing others' work, nor did he anticipate it spreading so quickly beyond his group of friends and getting so viral.
What you are saying might be 100% true - but he or someone got some professional help in making his blog go viral. There are tons of other trip reports which are similar in nature - but this one got leaps and bounds coverage both for him as well as SQ. I highly doubt he just shared it internally with friends and that alone made the blog go viral. We would never know the true reason of any thing going viral - but there is actual science behind it. If you know your demographics and really want to make something go viral - you can !!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: KF G, UA 1K, SPG P, Marriott P, Hilton G, Wyndham G
He used 93500 miles and paid $515.8 YQ.. what's the big deal within our FTer community
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold; Accor Plat; SQ/TG
Originally Posted by techblr
What you are saying might be 100% true - but he or someone got some professional help in making his blog go viral. There are tons of other trip reports which are similar in nature - but this one got leaps and bounds coverage both for him as well as SQ. I highly doubt he just shared it internally with friends and that alone made the blog go viral. We would never know the true reason of any thing going viral - but there is actual science behind it. If you know your demographics and really want to make something go viral - you can !!
I agree that it is a wonder it got so viral, but I don't believe he originally put any effort beyond sharing on Facebook - albeit publicly - to spread the word. His original Facebook post has over 2,500 likes, 3,000 shares, and almost 400 comments which are now mostly people tagging their friends. Facebook is the primary means of content discovery for many people and articles like these are interesting enough to get attention on their own.

I believe the virality can be attributed to a few things:
1. Discovery: Sharing publicly on Facebook opens the door to exponential growth

2. Visual Appeal: Beautiful photos and a simple, clutter-free layout (credit to Medium). Few words for context and no walls of text.

3. Audience: he doesn't target the frequent flyer community nor explains the 'how' behind the trip, which can be confusing and perhaps off-putting to non-FTers (aka the majority of the population). Rather, he focuses on how amazing it is and shares his experiences from a 'normal' person perspective. While we may prefer informative and detailed TRs comparing the seat pitch and caviar servings between two carriers we are considering, those outside of the community are more fascinated that there even is a bed or caviar at all.

4. Wow-factor: the majority of people outside of the FT community never knew stuff like this existed, and are seeing it for the first time. Especially in Singapore and around the world where social inequality has been such a prominent issue as of late.
TLDR; many/most TRs, while very well written and highly valued by the FT community, are not as relevant or interesting to the layman as it contains too much detail and information and/or requires a certain level of familiarity to the premium travel game; they are written by FTers for FTers. This one targets a much broader audience and I see that as the key to it's success. Plus, as can be seen from the Potato Salad Kickstarter, we never know if/why some things go viral
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:40 am

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
TLDR; many/most TRs, while very well written and highly valued by the FT community, are not as relevant or interesting to the layman as it contains too much detail and information and/or requires a certain level of familiarity to the premium travel game; they are written by FTers for FTers. This one targets a much broader audience and I see that as the key to it's success. Plus, as can be seen from the Potato Salad Kickstarter, we never know if/why some things go viral
Good point. I saw quite a few shares from Facebook friends and I was thinking "Er, what's big deal???" After clicking through I was pretty disgusted by all the fawning and the gushing (far cry from the typical FT TR) and stopped reading after a while.

Gotta admit the pictures are pretty good though, even though they are from a fisheye.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by elleana

Gotta admit the pictures are pretty good though, even though they are from a fisheye.
I also agree on this. Pictures with him in it are quite spectacular and some of the angles are dramatic and out-of-the-box. At least no typical FT-er standard detail of feet photos showing seat pitch. Haha. And we can be assured of the authenticity.

The fish eye is dramatic making the cabin looks bigger and more spacious than it actually is. For those who has been in this cabin will notice it.

Good promo material for SQ
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Re: Plagiarism / Asian education system to blame?

While we all know that plagiarism is wrong, perhaps the Asian educational system is partially to blame for the blogger's plagiarism?

Perhaps he grew up in an educational system (i.e. Singapore) where the focus is on rote learning? Students who are used to rote learning may be less creative when it comes to writing and may even reuse sayings or ideas they have read from somewhere else.

I remember hearing parents of Chinese classmates telling them that if they want to write better they should read more (and perhaps memorize what they read?).
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Originally Posted by daniellam
While we all know that plagiarism is wrong, perhaps the Asian educational system is partially to blame for the blogger's plagiarism?
Just for the record he did his under grad or grad from UC Berkeley - one of the top tier institutions for Comp Science. Getting in is one story but finishing one successfully is not an easy task either.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by techblr
Just for the record he did his under grad or grad from UC Berkeley - one of the top tier institutions for Comp Science. Getting in is one story but finishing one successfully is not an easy task either.
But isn't Comp Science one of those courses that rote learners do well in anyways?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
There are plenty of high-profile incidences of plagiarism in the US press (NYT no less), I think it's rather pointless to try to blame this on either his course of education or the cultural background.

The guy took short cuts and got called out for it.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat

Perhaps he grew up in an educational system (i.e. Singapore) where the focus is on rote learning? Students who are used to rote learning may be less creative when it comes to writing and may even reuse sayings or ideas they have read from somewhere else.

I remember hearing parents of Chinese classmates telling them that if they want to write better they should read more (and perhaps memorize what they read?).
uhh. stereotype much?? quite a fair leap to go from rote learning to plagarism.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D

Not to encourage this topic drift, but what has the "Asian educational system" (whatever animal that is) got to do with plagiarism? Maybe about as much as the "German educational system" for producing ministerial level PhD plagiarists? Ex-Defence Minister Guttenberg or ex-Education Minister Schavan anyone?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I agree that it is a wonder it got so viral, but I don't believe he originally put any effort beyond sharing on Facebook - albeit publicly - to spread the word. His original Facebook post has over 2,500 likes, 3,000 shares, and almost 400 comments which are now mostly people tagging their friends. Facebook is the primary means of content discovery for many people and articles like these are interesting enough to get attention on their own.

I believe the virality can be attributed to a few things:
1. Discovery: Sharing publicly on Facebook opens the door to exponential growth

2. Visual Appeal: Beautiful photos and a simple, clutter-free layout (credit to Medium). Few words for context and no walls of text.

3. Audience: he doesn't target the frequent flyer community nor explains the 'how' behind the trip, which can be confusing and perhaps off-putting to non-FTers (aka the majority of the population). Rather, he focuses on how amazing it is and shares his experiences from a 'normal' person perspective. While we may prefer informative and detailed TRs comparing the seat pitch and caviar servings between two carriers we are considering, those outside of the community are more fascinated that there even is a bed or caviar at all.

4. Wow-factor: the majority of people outside of the FT community never knew stuff like this existed, and are seeing it for the first time. Especially in Singapore and around the world where social inequality has been such a prominent issue as of late.
So maybe the best thing you can tell your friend is maybe to take off his blog entirely and write a new one .. maybe about travelling in economy especially when he has no etiquette when travelling / behaving in First / Suite Class.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:55 am
HMO

Originally Posted by SQueeze
I also agree on this. Pictures with him in it are quite spectacular and some of the angles are dramatic and out-of-the-box. At least no typical FT-er standard detail of feet photos showing seat pitch. Haha. And we can be assured of the authenticity.

The fish eye is dramatic making the cabin looks bigger and more spacious than it actually is. For those who has been in this cabin will notice it.

Good promo material for SQ
I think he needs to thanks his good fortune, for having at his trip a fellow pax or a FA with good photografhyc skills, a person able to take disinterestly for him so nice pictures!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:18 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
I still dont get it why this gay dude is getting all this publicity ... its not like he achieved anything newsworthy, something great or extraordinary or even the first of its kind/first guy to do it... his writing style (if you can call it that) is weaksauce and thats after he plagiarized the best bits, most would just skim the blogpost and see the pictures alone -- but the pictures arent even all that, not to mention they are a bit on the dishonest side cause the fisheye perspective makes the whole thing look a lot more like something its not in actual reality.

and more than all that, I cant believe this thread is already 7 pages long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.