Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$23,000 trip in F on A380 SIN-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
Originally Posted by microcosm
Am I just delusional or how are non americans "generating" miles as apparently some of these singaporeans can buy out whole suits from the miles they've 'generated'??? Im in canada and probably 2nd most 'liberal' country that issues out relatively good sign up bonuses (maybe tied with UK) and let me tell you, it is still very very difficult to build up and manufacturing spending is non existent
The guy who said that is a KF Gold and is probably in the PPS club. I'm not sure what manufactured spend is like in SIN but it's possible.

A college buddy of mine now lives in Singapore and travels a lot for his company (mainly regional like SIN-PEK, SIN-NRT, SIN-BKK, SIN-MNL, SIN-ICN, etc.) and he has a KF gold amex card & easily earns a lot of KF miles.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by trigleek
Quote:

Originally Posted by microcosm

Am I just delusional or how are non americans "generating" miles as apparently some of these singaporeans can buy out whole suits from the miles they've 'generated'??? Im in canada and probably 2nd most 'liberal' country that issues out relatively good sign up bonuses (maybe tied with UK) and let me tell you, it is still very very difficult to build up and manufacturing spending is non existent

The guy who said that is a KF Gold and is probably in the PPS club. I'm not sure what manufactured spend is like in SIN but it's possible.

A college buddy of mine now lives in Singapore and travels a lot for his company (mainly regional like SIN-PEK, SIN-NRT, SIN-BKK, SIN-MNL, SIN-ICN, etc.) and he has a KF gold amex card & easily earns a lot of KF miles.

That was me. I think I better clarify so doesn't come across as shocking. Both our accounts combined can buy out all Suites. But just one account, can buy slightly more than half - not too bad still.

Me and my partner have similar travel patterns:

Travel for business in business class once a month, about $3500 per trip and use own card to pay at rate 2.5x citibank premiermiles amex. That's about 15K miles per trip both actual miles flown and credit card bonuses.

While overseas, I use UOB visa signature at 4x. And hotels are not exactly cheap. So I max out this card every month - 8000 miles per month.

Dining and grocery at Singapore are all at 4x using UOB paywave or UOB amex.

Shopping is at 4x using Citi Rewards.

Online shopping is at 4X using UOB paywave and this is getting quite widespread.

Taxi and MRT are at 4x using Maybank card tied to ez-link.

Plus annual fees from a few of the cards dole out 10,000 miles.

Indeed, A lot of spending are at 4X these days. And they are day to day, not manufactured.

Not impossible to reach 1 million miles even from one individual account.

Took us awhile to reach 7 figures but once there stay around there more or less last 2 years, based on our mileage burning pattern. A bit more aggressive this year because think they are going to devalue soon.

And as for KF Gold Amex and PPS Amex, they have been cancelled aeons ago. Will take forever to accumulate miles using these cards.

Last edited by SQueeze; Oct 1, 2014 at 11:33 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
OMG, what did I started here ...

Anyway, on the comments about piling up miles for this run. Did a little FB digging & re-reading this evening of the blogs, etc. of the poster - seemed to have 2 profile on FB with the same name, both from SIN. Based on the more active account (managed to peek into his postings due to his privacy/security settings, or lack thereof ...) The following could explained it:

While he was born/from Singarpore originally, he apparently lives in SFO and recently graduated from UC Berkeley & studied engineering & computer science. Traveled a bit & managed to rack up the points/miles, etc.

Imagine going back to Y/Y+ afterward
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by trigleek

Its relatively easy. The F return SIN-NYC-SIN saver award is 220.000 Miles. I do this easily a year mainly on regional routes out of SIN and a bit of credit card spending.
And if you make a few trips in biz from SIN to europe and/or to the east/westcoast and make most of your spendings with credit cards it is pretty easy to propell you beyond the 500.000 miles mark a year.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by gbcflyer

I've seen the many TRs, which I cannot but feel cynical and find the excessive micro-detailing of the trip (menu's, etc...) quite repulsive anyway, but this is probably the worst ever...

There needs to be a sense of grace, dignity and privilege to be able to travel in premium classes, and not to brag about it. If you do travel in F, please do enjoy the trip but please keep your self respect... As you pore thru those elegant menus and wine lists, there are many people out there who won't have a meal this evening. You are more fortunate than those few...

This TR is written (copied...?) by some depraved and insecure kid who thinks he's "...arrived..."
Well said ^
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by SQ325
Its relatively easy. The F return SIN-NYC-SIN saver award is 220.000 Miles. I do this easily a year mainly on regional routes out of SIN and a bit of credit card spending.
And if you make a few trips in biz from SIN to europe and/or to the east/westcoast and make most of your spendings with credit cards it is pretty easy to propell you beyond the 500.000 miles mark a year.
Agreed that manufactured spend isn't very difficult for SIN credit cards. I easily make about 300-400K miles on my credit card spending every year.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I liked it!

Many trip reports, it's only the pictures that matter. He managed to do words as well. And for the people who write, many come out sounding really @#$%^&*y. Found his writing amusing.

EDIT: I did NOT realize this was plagiarized when I first posted. I only saw 1 page of posts!

Last edited by joshwex90; Oct 2, 2014 at 6:30 am
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
This topic intrigued me in so much as I decided to see how I could pull off 105K miles for a one way NYC-FRA-HKG. Unfortunately, I only travel for vacations, not for business, and while I make a healthy income, I can't rely on yearly spending to rack me up to the 100s of thousands of points in a year.
Best I could come up with: 40,000 Bonus with Sapphire Preffered. 25,000 With SPG Amex, and 20,000 SPG Points Purchase at 1:1 conversion to Krisflyer (the most you can buy in a calendar year is 20,000, and at a cost of $700). That comes to 85K points, still 20K short of the requirement. Of course, purchasing an extra 20K points beginning of next year is an option.

I suppose you could also convert 50K Hyatt points to 25K Krisflyer, but you wouldn't want to do that unless you're getting GP points for .02 or cheaper---not too hard to come by.

I don't see how you could get up to 210,000 in a year though, unless you're flying SQ regularly.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I liked it!

Many trip reports, it's only the pictures that matter. He managed to do words as well. And for the people who write, many come out sounding really @#$%^&*y. Found his writing amusing.
And if his writing was all his own, it would have been even better.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by feizhu
Agreed that manufactured spend isn't very difficult for SIN credit cards. I easily make about 300-400K miles on my credit card spending every year.
Wowsers. Even at 5x points, that's a minimum of 60K in spending! Business travel?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by joecool1885
This topic intrigued me in so much as I decided to see how I could pull off 105K miles for a one way NYC-FRA-HKG. Unfortunately, I only travel for vacations, not for business, and while I make a healthy income, I can't rely on yearly spending to rack me up to the 100s of thousands of points in a year.
Best I could come up with: 40,000 Bonus with Sapphire Preffered. 25,000 With SPG Amex, and 20,000 SPG Points Purchase at 1:1 conversion to Krisflyer (the most you can buy in a calendar year is 20,000, and at a cost of $700). That comes to 85K points, still 20K short of the requirement. Of course, purchasing an extra 20K points beginning of next year is an option.

I suppose you could also convert 50K Hyatt points to 25K Krisflyer, but you wouldn't want to do that unless you're getting GP points for .02 or cheaper---not too hard to come by.

I don't see how you could get up to 210,000 in a year though, unless you're flying SQ regularly.
Quite a few cards in Singapore offer 4 miles per $ spent on various things. Divide 200K by 4 and you only require a spend of $50K. And the blogger in question apparently only flew 1 way, hence that's a spending of only about $25K, not including any flights you might have on SQ.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by joecool1885
Wowsers. Even at 5x points, that's a minimum of 60K in spending! Business travel?
About 75% personal spending, 25% business spending
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pewpew
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDXUA

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubbuni13

Firstly, plagiarism is wrong and he should be publicly shamed for that... still, aside from that heinous breach of trust, the fact remains that there are a bunch of haters on this page.

He's obviously playing to a certain demographic (younger folks who've never even dreamed of riding up in front) and social media is all about exaggeration and image manipulation anyway. I suppose I'm biased, because I think it's hilarious that I get 3-4x the number of likes and comments on my IG or FB when I post up pics of Asiana suites or ANA Square or the first class cabana rooms at the Wing in HKG for example.

I sort of read it as a fun, cheeky, semi-facetious trip report. Whatever the case, he's got the attention he was looking for.

I'm in college right now and I heard some kids talking about this yesterday expressing their awe that these kinds of onboard products exist, he definitely nailed it with the demographic. I even heard some kids saying "even though he used miles to book, I'm sure he was some trust fund kid." Interesting that the secrets of the miles and points world are still only understood by very few.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05

The guy lifted content from three of my posts and one other bloggers. He never acknowledged my emails or tweets and has deleted and blocked anyone who has posted something negative on his facebook posts about this.

Definitely had PR help getting this out there, I'm trying to figure out who spread the word so I can send them an email.

He's removed my pictures and generalized the wording that he stole from me enough to avoid a lawsuit I think. It wasn't even necessary, he had a great story without my content.

Very disappointing that he took your material, for what it's worth, some of the quotes he lifted from you were some of the bits that had me chuckling the most.

Now that you mention it, some kids in my cafeteria seemed to be talking about premium travel, but I didn't connect the dots until now. I also found this through Facebook (and 90% of my friends are still in college).

I wonder how everyone would feel if I wrote a TR on my mini RTW in AA, CX, JL and BA F
They'd probably have a pretty similar reaction to this kids TR. I found while traveling with my college soccer team on UA last month that my simple complimentary upgrade to Y+ left many of my teammates in awe. I can only imagine what they would have thought about an upgrade to domestic F, not to mention something as enviable as a long haul F product like SQ or EK.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:51 am

Quite a few cards in Singapore offer 4 miles per $ spent on various things. Divide 200K by 4 and you only require a spend of $50K. And the blogger in question apparently only flew 1 way, hence that's a spending of only about $25K, not including any flights you might have on SQ.
"Only" and "spend of $50K" don't belong in the same sentence.

About 75% personal spending, 25% business spending
Nice.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
coupled with some cards giving miles for annual fee
and special places giving 8x point on Amex Plat card, one can have quite a great number of miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.