Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Still prefer
SFO77
trip reports, I gotta say.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
The law of diminishing returns applies

Being a FTer mileage junkie who knows how to play the game and get the premium-cabin awards, I've had the great pleasure of traveling long-haul in great comfort. Among the awards I've gotten are Singapore F (non-suite) and Emirates F (suite).

My take is that once you make the great leap up to a flat-bed business seat with lounge access, everything else is gravy. Tasty gravy, to be sure, but it's still just gravy. Maybe you get into a quieter, more exclusive lounge. Maybe they serve you super-expensive Champagne. You can even close the doors for privacy in some suites (I never figured out how to do that on Emirates -- I blame the FAs for serving me too much super-expensive Champagne).

Diminishing returns. After a certain point of moving right on the X-axis, you don't go much higher on the Y.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by dhuey
Being a FTer mileage junkie who knows how to play the game and get the premium-cabin awards, I've had the great pleasure of traveling long-haul in great comfort. Among the awards I've gotten are Singapore F (non-suite) and Emirates F (suite).

My take is that once you make the great leap up to a flat-bed business seat with lounge access, everything else is gravy. Tasty gravy, to be sure, but it's still just gravy. Maybe you get into a quieter, more exclusive lounge. Maybe they serve you super-expensive Champagne. You can even close the doors for privacy in some suites (I never figured out how to do that on Emirates -- I blame the FAs for serving me too much super-expensive Champagne).

Diminishing returns. After a certain point of moving right on the X-axis, you don't go much higher on the Y.

Then you need to try double beds on SQ cause that is nothing like a business class flat bed.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by lsed
Then you need to try double beds on SQ cause that is nothing like a business class flat bed.
If one needs so much width to sleep, I would agree. I don't.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
The EK suites are much nicer. The toilet is MUCH bigger and there is a shower. Don't get the big deal.
EK doesnt have double bed
EY residence has private shower and fixed double bed in its own 'room'

EK and TG have room to copy EY residence, will be interesting to watch

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
The guy lifted content from three of my posts and one other bloggers. He never acknowledged my emails or tweets and has deleted and blocked anyone who has posted something negative on his facebook posts about this.

Definitely had PR help getting this out there, I'm trying to figure out who spread the word so I can send them an email.

He's removed my pictures and generalized the wording that he stole from me enough to avoid a lawsuit I think. It wasn't even necessary, he had a great story without my content.
other blogger on FT too? wonder if he chose people he thought were 'lower profile'
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
This went viral because it reaches the world outside FT-er and there, it seems like this is an unattainable product of ultimate luxury. And his photos are spectacular. And like I said before, the fish eye lens make the suite appear larger and more spacious than it actually is. And people are awed.

But here we know how to generate millions of miles - I should have enough to book the entire Suites cabin to JFK if they ever release 12 seats for redemption. This product is accessible without me having to be a billionaire. Heck, it's so much easier to get Suites with miles, than business class with miles!

His trip report has better photos than most others I must say, and I enjoyed reading it but I am not as awed about his experience in any dramatic way as non-FTers would be.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by SQueeze
But here we know how to generate millions of miles - I should have enough to book the entire Suites cabin to JFK if they ever release 12 seats for redemption. This product is accessible without me having to be a billionaire. Heck, it's so much easier to get Suites with miles, than business class with miles!
The irony! Many times I grabbed an F award when I would have preferred one in business. But only F was available.

And yes, I'm just like everyone else here who plays the mileage games. No need to spend big bucks to experience such travel luxuries.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Gold
Classy wearing shorts in F class, too.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:51 pm

I would wear shorts, too. But generally I wouldn't for trips like this. Not for the cabin, but for:

1) When I sleep, my metabolism drops big time, so I get cold easily. I can sleep under a thick duvet when it's 85 degrees in the room.

2) To look presentable to the immigration agent I'm about to talk to at the end of the flight. That doesn't matter which class of service I'm flying.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lighthand
I believe it's one way. Which works out be be about 6900 SGD, so if anything it would be an understatement.

My bad. The price rated is for return ticket.
Hmm. My calculation puts 6 hrs at 6/44 (round trip) x 23k is about 3.1k SGD.

A random check on dates for Nov gives a price of 17k and not 23k.

I think I'm giving too much attention on this.

Last edited by SgFred; Oct 1, 2014 at 7:03 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:53 pm

I'm in SIN and in yesterday's Straits Times:
Blogger called out over report on $23,000 Singapore Airlines Suites trip [that he plagiarized comments]
http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin....hSe7Dgav.dpuf

And this morning, a local radio station's morning show was ooh-ing and aah-ing over the blog, and the 3 DJs were blatantly spewing out inaccuracies, like "you get pajamas even in business class on ANY airline!" (not realizing even their own national airline doesn't provide that).

I hope this fuss can end soon and we get on with life. There are many, and I might say, better written trip reports out there.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
Am I just delusional or how are non americans "generating" miles as apparently some of these singaporeans can buy out whole suits from the miles they've 'generated'??? Im in canada and probably 2nd most 'liberal' country that issues out relatively good sign up bonuses (maybe tied with UK) and let me tell you, it is still very very difficult to build up and manufacturing spending is non existent
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Alaska Air
Loved this :-:

Originally Posted by gbcflyer
There needs to be a sense of grace, dignity and privilege to be able to travel in premium classes, and not to brag about it. If you do travel in F, please do enjoy the trip but please keep your self respect... As you pore thru those elegant menus and wine lists, there are many people out there who won't have a meal this evening. You are more fortunate than those few...

This TR is written (copied...?) by some depraved and insecure kid who thinks he's "...arrived..."
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by PDXUA
Originally Posted by chubbuni13
Firstly, plagiarism is wrong and he should be publicly shamed for that... still, aside from that heinous breach of trust, the fact remains that there are a bunch of haters on this page.

He's obviously playing to a certain demographic (younger folks who've never even dreamed of riding up in front) and social media is all about exaggeration and image manipulation anyway. I suppose I'm biased, because I think it's hilarious that I get 3-4x the number of likes and comments on my IG or FB when I post up pics of Asiana suites or ANA Square or the first class cabana rooms at the Wing in HKG for example.

I sort of read it as a fun, cheeky, semi-facetious trip report. Whatever the case, he's got the attention he was looking for.
I'm in college right now and I heard some kids talking about this yesterday expressing their awe that these kinds of onboard products exist, he definitely nailed it with the demographic. I even heard some kids saying "even though he used miles to book, I'm sure he was some trust fund kid." Interesting that the secrets of the miles and points world are still only understood by very few.

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
The guy lifted content from three of my posts and one other bloggers. He never acknowledged my emails or tweets and has deleted and blocked anyone who has posted something negative on his facebook posts about this.

Definitely had PR help getting this out there, I'm trying to figure out who spread the word so I can send them an email.

He's removed my pictures and generalized the wording that he stole from me enough to avoid a lawsuit I think. It wasn't even necessary, he had a great story without my content.
Very disappointing that he took your material, for what it's worth, some of the quotes he lifted from you were some of the bits that had me chuckling the most.
Now that you mention it, some kids in my cafeteria seemed to be talking about premium travel, but I didn't connect the dots until now. I also found this through Facebook (and 90% of my friends are still in college).

I wonder how everyone would feel if I wrote a TR on my mini RTW in AA, CX, JL and BA F
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Originally Posted by microcosm
Am I just delusional or how are non americans "generating" miles as apparently some of these singaporeans can buy out whole suits from the miles they've 'generated'??? Im in canada and probably 2nd most 'liberal' country that issues out relatively good sign up bonuses (maybe tied with UK) and let me tell you, it is still very very difficult to build up and manufacturing spending is non existent
Agreed. Even in the US if you don't travel much - racking up miles enough to make a trip like this is extremely difficult. Yes - the sign up bonuses make up most of the miles but still you need a boat load of miles to make a transcontinental trip in F.

Last edited by techblr; Oct 1, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.