Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$23,000 trip in F on A380 SIN-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: TK Elite
Wow this thread became viral rather quickly lol

I do agree that I've seen and read much more qualitative reports than this one.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:06 am

He might even have been more successful overall, had he not plagiarised others' reports and photos, because now there is the equally loud voice talking him down for it.

I would be absolutely aghast if one of my trip reports (when I used to write them) ever became this famous. But clearly he wanted the attention, and he got it.

On the flipside, the combined retail value of all the premium award flying in the last 8 or so years would easily buy a house by now. In London. I know of several people on here who could have bought a small nation on the same basis.

$23k? Amateurs
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
This is even on Business Insider now !

I love how it went viral and every "nerdy FTer" in here is .....ing about it.

Reminds me of the programmers vs sales in the IT business..
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by MrCharming
This is even on Business Insider now !

I love how it went viral and every "nerdy FTer" in here is .....ing about it.

Reminds me of the programmers vs sales in the IT business..
It's interesting to note that this story barely gets a mention at all on sqtalk.com - the dedicated forums for SQ flyers.

I just started a thread there. Let's see if it would gather any more attention than here or not.

I suspect it will gather dust pretty soon. It's old news to be able to redeem miles for a one-way ticket to JFK
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm not a hater and as a 29 year old student, I'm probably close to his demographic.

But I'm also a writer, including TRs for FT, and I would be irate if one of my words was plagiarized. It's sadly all too common, earlier this year I posted a humorous graphic about UA's MileagePlus changes on Facebook. At least two bloggers, including a big named one, used it without any attribution to me. I don't know if this guy is lazy or malicious or both, but I won't read what he writes.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm not a hater and as a 29 year old student, I'm probably close to his demographic.

But I'm also a writer, including TRs for FT, and I would be irate if one of my words was plagiarized. It's sadly all too common, earlier this year I posted a humorous graphic about UA's MileagePlus changes on Facebook. At least two bloggers, including a big named one, used it without any attribution to me. I don't know if this guy is lazy or malicious or both, but I won't read what he writes.

Call them out on Reddit then!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chubbuni13
Firstly, plagiarism is wrong and he should be publicly shamed for that... still, aside from that heinous breach of trust, the fact remains that there are a bunch of haters on this page.

He's obviously playing to a certain demographic (younger folks who've never even dreamed of riding up in front) and social media is all about exaggeration and image manipulation anyway. I suppose I'm biased, because I think it's hilarious that I get 3-4x the number of likes and comments on my IG or FB when I post up pics of Asiana suites or ANA Square or the first class cabana rooms at the Wing in HKG for example.

I sort of read it as a fun, cheeky, semi-facetious trip report. Whatever the case, he's got the attention he was looking for.
Picked up by Jaunted that directs you to this link:

http://mothership.sg/2014/10/blogger...e-on-his-blog/
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by techblr
Agreed. Even in the US if you don't travel much - racking up miles enough to make a trip like this is extremely difficult. Yes - the sign up bonuses make up most of the miles but still you need a boat load of miles to make a transcontinental trip in F.
Extremely difficult? Two Amex Plat card 100K bonuses. Move 141,000 MR points to SQ miles. Done. I'm in SQ F in January, SFO-HKG.

Easy.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Originally Posted by dhuey
Extremely difficult? Two Amex Plat card 100K bonuses. Move 141,000 MR points to SQ miles. Done. I'm in SQ F in January, SFO-HKG.

Easy.
Yes - I was speaking more in general if you don't or can't apply new CCs to get signup bonuses - Then generating miles without much travel and with just credit card spending can be quite difficult.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
I do agree that I've seen and read much more qualitative reports than this one.
Yes there are quite a few FTers whose every TR is an absolute gem. I will not name names because there are quite a few.

This guys is not even in their class
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: M&M, BAEC, SPG
In continental Europe is even more difficult to get miles. The only CC available in Luxembourg are linked to Miles&Less with signup bonuses of 5K miles......
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
What's that saying? When in Rome...eat the Mutton??
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by jcamp028
What's that saying? When in Rome...eat the Mutton??
When in SQ Suites, have the class to not wear cheap sandals.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by fly747first
When in SQ Suites, have the class to not wear cheap sandals.
When I board an SQ flight in January and take my seat in F, I won't be wearing shorts or sandals. But if anyone else in that cabin is, I won't give a rat's rear. That's their thing, not mine, and it has no effect on me.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:00 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
I would wear shorts, too. But generally I wouldn't for trips like this. Not for the cabin, but for:

1) When I sleep, my metabolism drops big time, so I get cold easily. I can sleep under a thick duvet when it's 85 degrees in the room.

2) To look presentable to the immigration agent I'm about to talk to at the end of the flight. That doesn't matter which class of service I'm flying.
Of course, if you have a suite, you could change clothes easily as desired for when you are awake, sleeping, or preparing for arrival at your destination. That would be limited by what clothes could fit in your cabin baggage, but suite passengers get twice the cabin baggage that economy passengers get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.