Wiki Posts
Search

$23,000 trip in F on A380 SIN-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Found one more piece of over-exaggeration:

Quote "I’d slept for 6 hours, or $6,000 worth of the flight."

I think this guy should go over his high-school math again. The total flying time from SIN-JFK is 21hrs 5mins and from JFK-SIN its 20hrs 5mins. So to keep calculation simple we can consider one-way flight time at 20hrs. So that's a total of 40hrs flight time for a total cost of 23,000 SGD.

So 6hrs of flight time is worth 3450 SGD and not 6000 SGD as mentioned in the blog.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: M&M, BAEC, SPG
First class in shorts should be forbidden. And also bare feet.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:12 pm

F vs. Suite

Please clarify for me. So, Mr. Low spent his Krisflyer miles for a one-way trip in the Suite class. I presume that F is considerably less opulent and closer to what is offered on .. perhaps CX? Is the Suite life worth the difference? To digress a bit, since one can now transfer Chase Sapphire points into Krisflyer program, can I presume that I can now fly Suite class by converting my Chase points? Am I right? Just curious .....
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GodAtum
In the Uk national news now: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...xperience.html

Not sure why he is so special, I've seen dozens of SQ F Suites reports.
Oh the daily fail, picking up this "story" says it all really...

I wonder what the trip report on the way back will be like.......
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by XFed2001
Please clarify for me. So, Mr. Low spent his Krisflyer miles for a one-way trip in the Suite class. I presume that F is considerably less opulent and closer to what is offered on .. perhaps CX? Is the Suite life worth the difference? To digress a bit, since one can now transfer Chase Sapphire points into Krisflyer program, can I presume that I can now fly Suite class by converting my Chase points? Am I right? Just curious .....
Suite class is SQ's F product on the A380. And yes, you can convert Chase points to Krisflyer to fly this. It actually wasn't too hard to find availability, last I checked.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by techblr
Found one more piece of over-exaggeration:

Quote "I’d slept for 6 hours, or $6,000 worth of the flight."

I think this guy should go over his high-school math again. The total flying time from SIN-JFK is 21hrs 5mins and from JFK-SIN its 20hrs 5mins. So to keep calculation simple we can consider one-way flight time at 20hrs. So that's a total of 40hrs flight time for a total cost of 23,000 SGD.

So 6hrs of flight time is worth 3450 SGD and not 6000 SGD as mentioned in the blog.
I believe it's one way. Which works out be be about 6900 SGD, so if anything it would be an understatement.

My bad. The price rated is for return ticket.

Last edited by lighthand; Oct 1, 2014 at 2:00 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
The EK suites are much nicer. The toilet is MUCH bigger and there is a shower. Don't get the big deal.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by coccobill352
First class in shorts should be forbidden. And also bare feet.
Why? When I fly first, I like to be as comfortable as I can be. I'm usually bare feet and in shorts.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
3 suites occupied out of 12 on an A380.

On Singapore Airline's flagship route.

An A380 isn't exactly cheap to run.

I wonder if they would be better off with "regular" first class seats or more business and economy class seats.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by rooivalk
Why? When I fly first, I like to be as comfortable as I can be. I'm usually bare feet and in shorts.
I agree. International F class is where flyers are encouraged to change into (70s looking gym suit) pajamas they board. Shorts totally fine. I regularly bring gym shorts onto Asiana and Singapore because their cabins are so darn hot and I cant sleep in anything else (within bounds of decency). I've been reminded now twice by OZ F crew not to get nuded out in my suite because they need to do seatbelt checks even when door closed. I guess I look like the kinda of guy who would do that.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
The guy lifted content from three of my posts and one other bloggers. He never acknowledged my emails or tweets and has deleted and blocked anyone who has posted something negative on his facebook posts about this.

Definitely had PR help getting this out there, I'm trying to figure out who spread the word so I can send them an email.

He's removed my pictures and generalized the wording that he stole from me enough to avoid a lawsuit I think. It wasn't even necessary, he had a great story without my content.

Last edited by bthotugigem05; Oct 1, 2014 at 2:49 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: M&M, BAEC, SPG
Originally Posted by rooivalk
To me it just looks ugly to show hairy legs and tired feet. Then it doesn't fit with the harmonic look and feel of the place and also with the elegance of the cabin crew. But it is just the point of view of an old fashioned Italian. By the way, the pics are now also on http://www.repubblica.it one of the most read Italian newspapers.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
Firstly, plagiarism is wrong and he should be publicly shamed for that... still, aside from that heinous breach of trust, the fact remains that there are a bunch of haters on this page.

He's obviously playing to a certain demographic (younger folks who've never even dreamed of riding up in front) and social media is all about exaggeration and image manipulation anyway. I suppose I'm biased, because I think it's hilarious that I get 3-4x the number of likes and comments on my IG or FB when I post up pics of Asiana suites or ANA Square or the first class cabana rooms at the Wing in HKG for example.

I sort of read it as a fun, cheeky, semi-facetious trip report. Whatever the case, he's got the attention he was looking for.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by gbcflyer
"There needs to be a sense of grace, dignity and privilege to be able to travel in premium classes, and not to brag about it. If you do travel in F, please do enjoy the trip but please keep your self respect... As you pore thru those elegant menus and wine lists, there are many people out there who won't have a meal this evening. You are more fortunate than those few..."
I definitely agree.
However, there are many trip reports out there, why this went so viral, beats me. Even Italian Corriere della Sera talks about it, raising every kind of comment, up to indignation as there are people starving in the world...
I flew SQ suites with my wife 3 weeks ago JFK-FRA-SIN, enjoyed a great crew who made the flight truly memorable, no need to plaster the net with our photos though!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by chubbuni13
Firstly, plagiarism is wrong and he should be publicly shamed for that... still, aside from that heinous breach of trust, the fact remains that there are a bunch of haters on this page.

He's obviously playing to a certain demographic (younger folks who've never even dreamed of riding up in front) and social media is all about exaggeration and image manipulation anyway. I suppose I'm biased, because I think it's hilarious that I get 3-4x the number of likes and comments on my IG or FB when I post up pics of Asiana suites or ANA Square or the first class cabana rooms at the Wing in HKG for example.

I sort of read it as a fun, cheeky, semi-facetious trip report. Whatever the case, he's got the attention he was looking for.
I'm in college right now and I heard some kids talking about this yesterday expressing their awe that these kinds of onboard products exist, he definitely nailed it with the demographic. I even heard some kids saying "even though he used miles to book, I'm sure he was some trust fund kid." Interesting that the secrets of the miles and points world are still only understood by very few.

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
The guy lifted content from three of my posts and one other bloggers. He never acknowledged my emails or tweets and has deleted and blocked anyone who has posted something negative on his facebook posts about this.

Definitely had PR help getting this out there, I'm trying to figure out who spread the word so I can send them an email.

He's removed my pictures and generalized the wording that he stole from me enough to avoid a lawsuit I think. It wasn't even necessary, he had a great story without my content.
Very disappointing that he took your material, for what it's worth, some of the quotes he lifted from you were some of the bits that had me chuckling the most.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.