Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book the Cook Business Class Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:01 am

ex-AMS

anyone has any advice for J BTC ex-AMS? it looks like a whole bunch of indonesian-inspired cuisine, mainly..
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:08 am

Report on ex-LAX via NRT to SIN

This was my first time flying business class in 5 years, so I was excited to try the Book the Cook options and chose 3 meals ex-LAX to SIN, via NRT:
1) Beef Sukiyaki
2) Stir-fried pork with rice
3) Shoyu ramen (second segment, ex-NRT)

#1 was OK - same quality as you'd expect in a prepared Japanese grocery (e.g. Nijiya).

#2 was very tasty, especially with the cloud ear black mushrooms and enoki mushrooms. It was also served piping hot, so that probably made it taste even better.

#3 was very disappointing. The ramen was straight-type noodles, on the softer side (fine with me, but I know some people prefer their ramen noodles to be chewy). The cha shu was horrendous - inedible! Very thick, leathery, tough texture, and I just left the slices uneaten. It seemed like no one roasted / stewed the meat. Maybe this was because there was no fat content? It also looked weird - triangular shaped instead of round!

I regret not ordering made-to-order curry noodles from the lounge in NRT during the layover time. I recommend that strategy to grab your food during the layover instead and sleep through the in-flight meal during the 2nd segment if you are leaving at 3:30 pm LAX (very hard to fall asleep during the first flight segment!).

My return flight is going to SFO via Seoul, so I only could make one Book the Cook choice ex-SIN. So hard, but I chose the lobster thermidor because others have raved about it, and, I want to know how my Sims eat.

Overall, I was sad about my meal choices (exept for #2) because in addition to the standard option meal, there was a special Japanese tasting course that I passed up (picture here:
).

I have no idea how it worked, but it looked like a special feast! I felt bad to not stick with the beef sukiyaki that I ordered because I had requested it in advance and was afraid of wasting food. There was another Hanakoireki option for the ex-NRT portion, but the menu was shorter with only one choice for each course. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture.

I wish I had seen the full menu choices in addition to Book the Cook options beforehand so I could have made a more informed decision. Do other routes have "tasting menus"?

Last edited by giceh; Apr 3, 2014 at 7:55 am Reason: Clarified flight segment numbers, spelling
Old Apr 2, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by giceh
This was my first time flying business class in 5 years, so I was excited to try the Book the Cook options and chose 3 meals ex-LAX to SIN, via NRT:
1) Beef Sukiyaki
2) Stir-fried pork with rice
3) Shoyu ramen (second segment, ex-NRT)

#1 was OK - same quality as you'd expect in a prepared Japanese grocery (e.g. Nijiya).

#2 was very tasty, especially with the cloud ear black mushrooms and enoki mushrooms. It was also served piping hot, so that probably made it taste even better.

#3 was very disappointing. The ramen was straight-type noodles, on the softer side (fine with me, but I know some people prefer their ramen noodles to be chewy). The cha shu was horrendous - inedible! Very thick, leathery, tough texture, and I just left the slices uneaten. It seemed like no one roasted / stewed the meat. Maybe this was because there was no fat content? It also looked weird - triangular shaped instead of round!

I regret not ordering made-to-order curry noodles from the lounge in NRT during the layover time. I recommend that strategy to grab your food during the layover instead and sleep through the in-flight meal during the 2nd segment if you are leaving at 3:30 pm LAX (very hard to fall asleep during the first flight segment!).

My return flight is going to SFO via Seoul, so I only could make one Book the Cook choice ex-SIN. So hard, but I chose the lobster thermidor because others have raved about it, and, I want to know how my Sims eat.

Overall, I was sad about my meal choices (exept for #2) because in addition to the standard option meal, there was a special Japanese tasting course that I passed up (picture here:
).

I have no idea how it worked, but it looked like a special feast! I felt bad to not stick with the beef sukiyaki that I ordered because I had requested it in advance and was afraid of wasting food. There was another Hanakoreiki option for the ex-NRT portion, but the menu was shorter with only one choice for each course. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture.

I wish I had seen the full menu choices in addition to Book the Cook options beforehand so I could have made a more informed decision. Do other routes have "tasting menus"?
I'm taking this flight this summer, in Suites. I initially planned for a Lobster Thermador feast but just had that dish in Saint Martin and it was so well prepared that I know SQ would be a letdown. So I BTC'd the Japanese meal for each of the three meals. Is it possible that was the extravagant feast you saw? Would the three meals presumably be somewhat different from each other? Agree curry in the lounge may be the way to go. NRT also has some decent restaurant options and sleep on the NRTSIN segment is indeed desired.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I'm taking this flight this summer, in Suites. I initially planned for a Lobster Thermador feast but just had that dish in Saint Martin and it was so well prepared that I know SQ would be a letdown. So I BTC'd the Japanese meal for each of the three meals. Is it possible that was the extravagant feast you saw? Would the three meals presumably be somewhat different from each other? Agree curry in the lounge may be the way to go. NRT also has some decent restaurant options and sleep on the NRTSIN segment is indeed desired.
All P and J flights ex-Japan will have the Hanakoireki (in J) or Kaiseki (in P) 'feast. You can also BTC the kaiseki in PCL to guarantee your choice. However, seems like there are mixed reviews on the Kaisekis
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
It wasn't clear to me how to order the Hanakoreiki meal - I think people could choose it a la carte? I was sitting in the first row so I wasn't able to spy on anyone else's order.

I did not see the Hanakoireki as an option online, but are you saying that you were given the choice of "Japanese meal" on BTC?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:00 am

When I did book the cook online, I think I only saw these choices: http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/...losangeles.jsp

But it looks like "Japanese meal" may sometimes be an option (for Suites?). I did a search, and this forum seems a lot more active:
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...8&postcount=10
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by giceh
It wasn't clear to me how to order the Hanakoreiki meal - I think people could choose it a la carte? I was sitting in the first row so I wasn't able to spy on anyone else's order.

I did not see the Hanakoireki as an option online, but are you saying that you were given the choice of "Japanese meal" on BTC?
That's correct. "Japanese meal" is the extent of the definition that is provided when I BTC on the site.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
I haven't been able to access my reservation online, and therefore can't BTC. I can access it via the iphone app, but every time I try on the web (have tried different browsers and using PNR and 618 ticket number) it just stays on the 'enter your PNR and last name' page.

Can I call in?

I've got 3 flights to order for (sfo-icn, hnd-sin, sin-pek)
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
Book the Cook Business Class Suggestions

yes, just call then to BTC.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: SPG, A3, SQ, AA, AV, QT, VA, LH, EK
How far out can one generally BTC?

my tickets are for January, I tried selecting meal and I got an error before I could choose the meal.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: SQ *G, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Le Accor Silver, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by csidler
How far out can one generally BTC?

my tickets are for January, I tried selecting meal and I got an error before I could choose the meal.
24hours and if you have an error try calling into the reservations office. Its possible you are getting an error because the flight is too far out (8 months away?).
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
are the Boston Lobster Thermidor and Lobster Thermidor with pilaf rice the same meal?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by BryanHuang
24hours and if you have an error try calling into the reservations office. Its possible you are getting an error because the flight is too far out (8 months away?).
That's what i'm hoping the error is.

I hope it's nothing to do with the fact it is an award redemption?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by csidler
That's what i'm hoping the error is.

I hope it's nothing to do with the fact it is an award redemption?
csidler, you're entitled to BTC no matter whether your carriage is via redemption...oh and the lobster is always a good choice!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by OnTheCentreline
csidler, you're entitled to BTC no matter whether your carriage is via redemption...oh and the lobster is always a good choice!
I'm going to wait another 6months and then try accessing the BTC option again.

I'm thinking ex-SIN to have the Lobster, just not sure what to do ex-SYD.

I'll also be booking a Zurich-Sydney too so will need to think about ex-Zurich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.