Wiki Posts
Search

Book the Cook Business Class Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Well I hate tofu so I would never even consider it.
I thought if they were serving it it must taste ok just like regular cheese cake. Never had tofu before. Looked tasty. Other option was ice cream.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:39 am
Suspended

I always go ice cream on flights. Hard to go wrong.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Hi All,

First time in Suites F on the A380 for SYD-SIN-SYD. Any recommendations? Should I book the cook or just eat whatever is on board?

Are the food onboard normally on the book the cook menu?

Thanks,
K.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by k3nnis
Hi All,

First time in Suites F on the A380 for SYD-SIN-SYD. Any recommendations? Should I book the cook or just eat whatever is on board?

Thanks,
K.
Personally I don't see what's special about BTC and have been finding the onboard menu more exciting.

But if it is your first time, then I Guess you should try on one of the sectors.

SYD-SIN: take onboard. So far I have been finding Matt Moran's selections pretty good and exciting.

SIN-SyD: you can BTC. May be you can try Kaiseki. I have had some really good ones before but the last one was quite horrible. Or I also liked the Wagyu Sirloin. Beware that many of the BTC menu in F and J is the same and to me, I would feel rather 'cheated'.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Hi All,

Thanks,
K.
I booked the cook in F on this flight as I am a simple eater and didn't want surprises.

My husband loves food and wanted to be surprised after he read what might turn up. Of course in F they will go out of their way to please you.

Should you BTC... it's up to everyone's individual preferences.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:06 am

Ok thanks. What is kaiseki?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:18 am

Ok thanks. What is kaiseki?
It's a royal Japanese meal. You can see the amazing one I had here. It's beautiful and exquisite. But this is ex-NRt (onboard menu). It's one of the best meal ever,

Capsules and Pods: NRT to MEL in SQ's Newest F

The last one I had ex-SIN was not nice (but this is also the onboard menu, not the BTC one). It can be an acquired taste esp if you are not used to Japanese food as they do it in Japan. You may be better with the Wagyu Sirloin. But then again, personally I prefer onboard menu.

Also you can check this BTC Pictures collection there are 17 pages, take your time

Last edited by SQueeze; Jul 9, 2016 at 12:27 am
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:47 am

Thanks I feel hungry now lol. Is the quality as good as restaurant?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:04 am

Thanks I feel hungry now lol. Is the quality as good as restaurant?
The particular Kaiseki above is as good.

But on most flights, even in F, it can be a hit and miss. A very few exceptional cases do give me the ooh and aah of deliciousness which match good restaurants but let's say they are more like 2 out of 10. Generally I find that things get little drier and not enough sauce.

But most are still considered good food. Just please don't compare it with real good starred restaurants. All these onboard meals after all are frozen food heated by non chefs following certain set instructions.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:21 am

Ok thx is kaiseki a btc dish or on board?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: KF Silver (bye long-haul Y, not missed!)
Flying J ex-SIN to AMS and back in Jan 2017. First time on the 2014 J seats. Though to be honest, have flown J only twice before - A380 in its first months of service SYD-SIN, and A330 2 years ago on ICN-SIN.

For the outbound, I chose the US grilled beef fillet while Mrs ClementiTotoro will go for the classic lobster thermidor. Breakfast selections are the grilled Angus beef burger and dim sum respectively.

For the inbound, we ordered the free range chicken supreme (designed by Michelin-starred chef Georges Blanc) and beef rendang, paired with breakfasts of toasted multigrain bread ("with herb cottage cheese, grilled vegetables and fresh berries low fat yogurt").

Any thoughts from more seasoned travelers? Happy to report back on my selection.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by ClementiTotoro
Flying J ex-SIN to AMS and back in Jan 2017. First time on the 2014 J seats. Though to be honest, have flown J only twice before - A380 in its first months of service SYD-SIN, and A330 2 years ago on ICN-SIN.

For the outbound, I chose the US grilled beef fillet while Mrs ClementiTotoro will go for the classic lobster thermidor. Breakfast selections are the grilled Angus beef burger and dim sum respectively.

For the inbound, we ordered the free range chicken supreme (designed by Michelin-starred chef Georges Blanc) and beef rendang, paired with breakfasts of toasted multigrain bread ("with herb cottage cheese, grilled vegetables and fresh berries low fat yogurt").

Any thoughts from more seasoned travelers? Happy to report back on my selection.
IMHO, good choices, except for the beef fillet and the chicken, because similar meat dishes are likely to be offered on the onboard menu.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I love the beef rawon ex-AMS, which is a beef broth with rice and chucks of stewed beef. Just ordered it again for my flight next week. It's a unique offering as the dish is Indonesian so a nod to the Dutch-Indo connection.

I've had the dimsum and not really cared for it, but I'm fussy about my dimsum. And it's also something offered on a regular basis for the BF menu.

My usual SIN-AMS/FRA routine is to ask the staff to serve my breakfast main as supper (if I do choose to eat a main), and hold my supper main for breakfast. And I choose a light item like the fish congee, even if I don't have it at supper service I have a light option if I'm hungry in the middle of the night/flight. The supper BTC of say a lobster thermidor, I will take for breakfast, since it's closer to lunch time SG time.

But that's just my preference.

Last edited by fimo; Sep 19, 2016 at 1:29 am
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:39 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by fimo
I love the beef rawon ex-AMS, which is a beef broth with rice and chucks of stewed beef. Just ordered it again for my flight next week. It's a unique offering as the dish is Indonesian so a nod to the Dutch-Indo connection.
I second your recommendation for Indonesian dishes out of AMS. I was going to talk about it in my post above, but decided against it because I didn't have much experience with BTC ex-AMS. But on the ground I had one of my best Indonesian meals in a little place on P.C. Hooftstraat called Sama Sebo. ^
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: KF Silver (bye long-haul Y, not missed!)
Originally Posted by cowie
IMHO, good choices, except for the beef fillet and the chicken, because similar meat dishes are likely to be offered on the onboard menu.
Thanks cowie, good point. Not that I need/could get second helpings (and deprive crew of their meal!?) Was unable to find a SIN-AMS business class menu except for FlyRilakkuma's Youtube video of the inaugural A350 flight in May. Then, the three main course options for supper were sea bass, herbal chicken with wolfberries and beef rendang.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.