FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

carrotjuice Jun 14, 2016 11:46 pm

Why June 26? We already have confirmation from DBS that the new terms were uploaded onto the website on June 7.

percysmith Jun 15, 2016 12:27 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26780491)
Why June 26? We already have confirmation from DBS that the new terms were uploaded onto the website on June 7.

Sorry my bad, I was using PDF creation date; my draft updated.

chrisksc Jun 15, 2016 5:07 am

Hi All,

Lately, there has been so many changes to T&Cs etc. It's getting rather confusing.

Can someone share about which Credit Card out there is the best one for EZ-Link Reload/Top-Up?

Thanks!

Ghost07 Jun 15, 2016 7:02 am

Originally Posted by chrisksc (Post 26781170)
Hi All,

Lately, there has been so many changes to T&Cs etc. It's getting rather confusing.

Can someone share about which Credit Card out there is the best one for EZ-Link Reload/Top-Up?

Thanks!

I use DBS altitude for EZ reload. Think it's one of the few card reward mile or points for EZ reload

demue Jun 15, 2016 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Ghost07 (Post 26781507)
I use DBS altitude for EZ reload. Think it's one of the few card reward mile or points for EZ reload

Does it? Need to check again then as I thought it didn't though I may be confusing things.

demue Jun 15, 2016 8:52 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26780491)

Sorry I must have missed that part, I updated my post. So Jul 6 then? Means one could still use the full 2k in early July. To be seen.

carrotjuice Jun 15, 2016 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Ghost07 (Post 26781507)

Originally Posted by demue (Post 26782069)
Does it? Need to check again then as I thought it didn't though I may be confusing things.

Can someone please verify this for DBS Altitude against actual EZ-Reload transactions?

I called UOB today just to make sure that EZ-Reload on PRVI AMEX still earns UNI$ (their terms - still on website today - clearly stipulate that only VISA and MC are exempt from earning, as did a CSO who confirmed to me last month)... but I'm shocked to hear that another CSO checked in the system today and could only see the last EZ-Reload transaction that earned UNI$ for me was on 2 April. This means UOB surreptitiously CEASED earning of UNI$ on EZ-Reload for PRVI AMEX without informing their cardholders!!

MAS should really step up their penalty against these errant banks and shame them in public. Maybe if we all write to the ST...

flo-e Jun 15, 2016 6:27 pm

This is the reply I received when asked about whether I will continue to earn the same amount of points on the same kind of purchases as per current.

Please allow me to clarify that there are no changes as to how the additional bonus points are awarded. The T&C format is revised to provide clarity on how to earn bonus points. Should there be any changes in the specfic details of the T&Cs, we will notify our customers in advance.

fatal1ty Jun 15, 2016 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26782462)
Can someone please verify this for DBS Altitude against actual EZ-Reload transactions?

I called UOB today just to make sure that EZ-Reload on PRVI AMEX still earns UNI$ (their terms - still on website today - clearly stipulate that only VISA and MC are exempt from earning, as did a CSO who confirmed to me last month)... but I'm shocked to hear that another CSO checked in the system today and could only see the last EZ-Reload transaction that earned UNI$ for me was on 2 April. This means UOB surreptitiously CEASED earning of UNI$ on EZ-Reload for PRVI AMEX without informing their cardholders!!

MAS should really step up their penalty against these errant banks and shame them in public. Maybe if we all write to the ST...

What about Top and Tap?

demue Jun 15, 2016 9:29 pm

The problem with DBS and knowing if certain transactions that could be interpreted as falling under the revised T&Cs (whether for more clarity or not) is that you have to wait until the 16th of the next month and try to tally up your transactions and expected bonus points.

I asked a CSO to tell me if my early Jun transactions earned 10 bonus points and they can't check that unless it is past the 16th of the next month. Oh well. Trial and error and some wait I guess. ;) Dare I say that about Citibank, but they excel in this one area as no other bank in SIN offers the same transaction level overview for points / bonus points accruals within a few days of the purchases made (though it takes like 10 non-intuitive clicks to get there, but fine I'll take it :D).

vsepr Jun 16, 2016 6:56 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 26780475)
Exactly. +1. No one here is arguing about DBS changing the T&Cs as they have the right to do so. What they are supposed to do is announce the change 30 days prior to the changes going into effect and they didn't.

If you look at the response that carrotjuice got, actually they are kind of denying having amended the T&Cs while you can clearly see from the tracking that a substantial portion of new and previously not listed exclusion was added. Adding clarifications to T&Cs is still "amending / changing" them.

So if we are to believe that DBS has always enforced the listed changes even since Dec 2015 then the specific type of transaction in question should still qualify as at least I have gotten full (bonus) points on it up to April 2016 with May 2016 bonus points hitting our balances tomorrow.

My expectation is that these bonus points are still awarded for transaction made by Jul 6, 2016 and after that we can all evaluate if we will keep the card or not. I plan to keep it as going forward there are still other eligible online spend / shopping categories that will continue to earn 10x bonus points. YMMV.

No need to get so angry over this. If you are not happy, just go expedia or hotels.com make some free cancellation hotel bookings up to your credit limit. Once posted, redeem the points off, after that cancel the booking. DBS does not have negative points balance. If not enough points to offset the refunded transactions, it will not deduct any points...don't believe me? Try yourself....

vsepr Jun 16, 2016 6:58 am

Yes. Tried and tested. DBS earns 3x points for EZ-reload transactions and no $0.25 charge. If not enough points to do a 5000 points miles redemption, go expedia or hotels.com make free refundable hotel bookings and redeem off. After that cancel the hotel booking, no negative balance for DBS points.

Yes. Wef 13 April 2016, all UOB PRVI miles cards including AMEX does not earn UNI$ for EZ-Reload transactions.

carrotjuice Jun 16, 2016 7:12 am

UOB called me back today and said I ought to receive UNI$ for all my EZ-Reload transactions on PRVI AMEX but somehow they mysteriously stopped crediting it after my last transaction credit on 2 April - so need to be manually credited.

I asked does this mean that going forward now, every month, I have to call and request them to be manually adjusted? I suspected that UOB had intended the MC and VISA to not earn UNI$ for EZ-Reload, but for some reason it uses the same platform or someone made a settings error and it affected the AMEX too. I demanded that the system be reset to auto-credit my card again. The CSO understood the request and admitted that it would be impractical to have to call and request manual credits every month of the missing UNI$ but he would check with the product owner.

So... if you're in the same situation, go demand that UOB credit the missing UNI$ back to you for your EZ-Reload transactions!!

demue Jun 16, 2016 10:11 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 26786718)
No need to get so angry over this. If you are not happy, just go expedia or hotels.com make some free cancellation hotel bookings up to your credit limit. Once posted, redeem the points off, after that cancel the booking. DBS does not have negative points balance. If not enough points to offset the refunded transactions, it will not deduct any points...don't believe me? Try yourself....

Who is angry? Annoyed yes, angry no. Your suggestion to generating points though is certainly possible, but not quite down my alley to leverage.

carrotjuice Jun 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 26787583)
Who is angry? Annoyed yes, angry no. Your suggestion to generating points though is certainly possible, but not quite down my alley to leverage.

+1. Maximising miles around the rules is the game. Committing fraud is totally another story.