FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

Awesom Andy May 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26696968)
Anyone read today's Straits Times?
http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyl...le-for-flights

No mention of UOB PPV for paywave, PPAmex for dining, Citi Rewards for shopping, etc.

Amateur journalist. :o

Some of them don't seem to understand the idea of taxes and fuel surcharges.

And it's interesting how they mentioned the ANZ card being good for travelling down under - which, if the journalist actually did, would have realised that there are better alternatives. Well, no matter... I'll let that one stay under the radar.

toothpick2 May 29, 2016 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26696942)
DON'T EVER, EVER use UOB cards at Giant / Cold Storage / Jason's / Marketplace. They earn the dreadful Smart$ not UNI$.

Also not sure why UOB would think this is appealing... its PPV earns 4 miles per $1 at Fairprice and they want to tempt us to use PRVI Amex instead for half the miles?! I had deleted the text message the moment I received it some days back.

Good points

So Cold Storage / Jason's / Marketplace.PRVI Amex
Fairprice / Giant PPV?

crazycrab955 May 29, 2016 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by toothpick2 (Post 26696358)
I got an email today saying you'll get 2miles per $1SGD spent at any supermarket when using the UOB PRVIMILES AMEX when paying via contactless payment.

My UOB PRVI AMEX does not seem to have contactless payment capability (i.e. no paywave logo), and I only received it 3-4 months ago. Do others have this?

toothpick2 May 30, 2016 2:12 am

Originally Posted by crazycrab955 (Post 26699649)
My UOB PRVI AMEX does not seem to have contactless payment capability (i.e. no paywave logo), and I only received it 3-4 months ago. Do others have this?

call up and say your current card is damaged. you'll receive a new one with contactless. your card number will be the same.

dont try to reason any other way, they wont understand

pompipi May 30, 2016 2:55 am

Originally Posted by toothpick2 (Post 26699609)
Good points

So Cold Storage / Jason's / Marketplace.PRVI Amex
Fairprice / Giant PPV?

Avoid using UOB for all Cold Storage, Jason's, Market place AND Giant. They are all part of the same chain and gives SMART$. I'd use other alternative CCs which award slightly less miles, such as DBS Altitude or KF Ascend now.

Fairprice: Yes, you can use UOB PPV

carrotjuice May 30, 2016 3:33 am

I just received an invite from UOB Visa Infinite. Basically first year free for principal + 2 supplementaries instead of paying $1926.

Benefits are:
- 3 miles per $1 on overseas shopping and dining until 31 July after that down to 2 miles per $1 (underwhelming when compared to Citi Rewards and UOB PPAmex respectively)
- 2 miles per $1 for selected local boutiques (again underwhelming)
- 1.2 miles per $1 for everything else

There was also a promo that if you charge $8000 within first 60 days, you'd earn 1 night at Ritz Carlton Club Deluxe Room. But on reading the fine print, this applies to top 300 spenders only (again, no thanks, as I'll never know if I'm amongst the top 300 spenders).

The way I see it, the only benefit for me to get this card (since it's a pre-approved freebie) is to get access to the Tower Club and China Club network. I'm unlikely to spend even a single $ on this card.

Are these clubs worthwhile to go through the trouble?

Awesom Andy May 30, 2016 7:06 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26700242)

If a club is really nice, they would have a waiting list of people waiting to join even if the cost is very high. There would be no need for them to "partner" with a credit card to look for clients.

toothpick2 May 30, 2016 6:43 pm

I just received an invite from UOB Visa Infinite. Basically first year free for principal + 2 supplementaries instead of paying $1926.

Benefits are:
- 3 miles per $1 on overseas shopping and dining until 31 July after that down to 2 miles per $1 (underwhelming when compared to Citi Rewards and UOB PPAmex respectively)

There was also a promo that if you charge $8000 within first 60 days, you'd earn 1 night at Ritz Carlton Club Deluxe Room. But on reading the fine print, this applies to top 300 spenders only (again, no thanks, as I'll never know if I'm amongst the top 300 spenders).

The way I see it, the only benefit for me to get this card (since it's a pre-approved freebie) is to get access to the Tower Club and China Club network. I'm unlikely to spend even a single $ on this card.

i got the invite via the post too. where does it say first year free?

LuisHK May 31, 2016 1:21 am

Benefits are:

$1926 for just that? The offering is very weak

w4rd May 31, 2016 1:34 am

First year is free or receive 60,000 miles. At 3.2cents/mile its one of the worst mile purchase offers on the market.

http://www.uob.com.sg/uobvisainfinit...igibility.html

carrotjuice May 31, 2016 2:44 am

Originally Posted by toothpick2 (Post 26703327)
i got the invite via the post too. where does it say first year free?

On my invitation... ;)

carrotjuice May 31, 2016 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 26700688)
If a club is really nice, they would have a waiting list of people waiting to join even if the cost is very high. There would be no need for them to "partner" with a credit card to look for clients.

I see your point. Most of the Tower Club network do look slightly "grand-fatherly". But I've been to China Club and it has a really nice dining space with a view...

carrotjuice May 31, 2016 2:50 am

Originally Posted by LuisHK (Post 26704461)
$1926 for just that? The offering is very weak

Indeed. I suppose UOB must be thinking... if you're (rich enough to be) gunning for a card with bragging rights access to clubs, you're unlikely to nickle and dime about miles accumulation rates... which remains a hypothesis to be tested.

lsed May 31, 2016 6:11 am

Last few hours to top up Imagine Card!

TOP-UP SERVICE:

You can continue to top-up via the website and mobile app for the American Express purse on the Imagine Card until 31 May 2016, 11.59pm.

CARD USAGE:
If you have a remaining balance in the American Express purse, you have to utilise the remaining balance by 31 August 2016, 11.59pm. After this date, the Imagine Card will no longer be accepted at American Express merchants.
The Imagine Card can still be used as an ez-link card for transit purposes until the expiry date. For more information, please refer to the FAQs.

BALANCE REFUNDS:
From 1 August 2016, you can request for a refund of the balance stored value in the American Express purse of your Imagine Card by submitting the Balance Refund Form available when you login to your account. During the refund period from
1 August 2016 to 30 November 2016, the Imagine Card submitted for refund must either be valid or within one month of the expiry date.

ExSin May 31, 2016 8:23 am

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 26705061)
Last few hours to top up Imagine Card!

TOP-UP SERVICE:

You can continue to top-up via the website and mobile app for the American Express purse on the Imagine Card until 31 May 2016, 11.59pm.

CARD USAGE:
If you have a remaining balance in the American Express purse, you have to utilise the remaining balance by 31 August 2016, 11.59pm. After this date, the Imagine Card will no longer be accepted at American Express merchants.
The Imagine Card can still be used as an ez-link card for transit purposes until the expiry date. For more information, please refer to the FAQs.

BALANCE REFUNDS:
From 1 August 2016, you can request for a refund of the balance stored value in the American Express purse of your Imagine Card by submitting the Balance Refund Form available when you login to your account. During the refund period from
1 August 2016 to 30 November 2016, the Imagine Card submitted for refund must either be valid or within one month of the expiry date.

Thanks - erroring out for me:

"We're sorry, information required for one or more fields is missing or incorrect
Limit settings are not configured"