FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

carrotjuice May 31, 2016 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by ExSin (Post 26705529)
Thanks - erroring out for me:

"We're sorry, information required for one or more fields is missing or incorrect
Limit settings are not configured"

Fortunately still possible one day before, 30 May. A bunch of cards now topped up to $999+ each :D

toothpick2 May 31, 2016 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26704636)
On my invitation... ;)

oh yeah i see it now.

seriously i just chucked it in the bin when i opened the envelop.

OF ALL THE TEXT THEY SHOULD HIGHLIGHT AND BOLD, SURELY ITS THE FIRST YEAR FREE?

They bolded other rubbish in the paragraph of text.

Standard rubbish marketing.

I've taken it since it's free. Hopefully there is discount on food at those club. Will go for a meal and let the card rot

duncani1629 May 31, 2016 9:09 pm

Amex transactions

Hi.
Is there a way to access the krisflyer amount by each individual transaction on my Amex Ascend card?

w4rd May 31, 2016 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by duncani1629 (Post 26709251)
Hi.
Is there a way to access the krisflyer amount by each individual transaction on my Amex Ascend card?

I don't think so. Citibank is the only bank that I know that offers as itemised points statement.
The AMEX statement does at least break out miles into regular and bonus, after that you need to apply logic to work out where they came from.

appledabble Jun 1, 2016 9:03 am

A bit OT but still somewhat relevant to KF miles accrual. Decided to post here instead of a new thread.

Came across this time deposit that earns miles in lieu of interests. Can earn 10K Miles for every $25K deposit. Personally , this is the first time I come across miles time deposit (hope I'm not a frog under the well). Assuming one can reap 4 cents a mile on biz class, that's 4% return in lieu of the conventional interest rate for time deposit that's probably around 1.6% p.a. or lower (ignore other opportunity cost or whatnot).

Or look at it another way. Assuming 1.6% p.a., the interest return would be $200 after 6 months. Effectively buying 10K miles at 2 cents per mile which isn't the best but about the same as paying for certain credit card annual fee.

https://www.sc.com/sg/save/term-deposit-sgd-dollar.html

What's your view on this?

w4rd Jun 1, 2016 9:57 am

Originally Posted by appledabble (Post 26711504)
What's your view on this?

Very interesting, if a bit gimmicky. If your have spare cash and really want the miles it sounds good in this low interest environment.
I think for my personal sanity and to maintain long term goals I will try and keep my saving/investments and miles collection separate.
I also don't have a spare $25K :)

carrotjuice Jun 1, 2016 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by appledabble (Post 26711504)
Or look at it another way. Assuming 1.6% p.a., the interest return would be $200 after 6 months. Effectively buying 10K miles at 2 cents per mile which isn't the best but about the same as paying for certain credit card annual fee.

That's exactly how I would look at it. In fact not dissimilar to, say, another bank who gives you a certain amount of air miles for starting a priority banking relationship... but insist that you maintain the $200K in a savings account that pays a measly 0.1% instead of the 1.6% "bonus" saving account.

It's all a gimmick to get their hands on your data as you start a new banking relationship with them.

SgFred Jun 1, 2016 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26696968)
Anyone read today's Straits Times?
http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyl...le-for-flights

No mention of UOB PPV for paywave, PPAmex for dining, Citi Rewards for shopping, etc.

Amateur journalist. :o

too much info and it gives the game away.

too little and it's amateur.

impossible to please everyone! :D

LuisHK Jun 2, 2016 1:32 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26713918)
That's exactly how I would look at it. In fact not dissimilar to, say, another bank who gives you a certain amount of air miles for starting a priority banking relationship... but insist that you maintain the $200K in a savings account that pays a measly 0.1% instead of the 1.6% "bonus" saving account.

It's all a gimmick to get their hands on your data as you start a new banking relationship with them.

Not enough to get me parting more money as the return is not great.

I'll take cash if(if and only if) I ever want to park 25k with a bank

tboons Jun 2, 2016 3:02 am

Any recommendation for a 5000 one time off purchase?

LuisHK Jun 2, 2016 5:29 am

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...th-night-free/

Will fully utilising this make Citi Prestige more worthwhile? (Looks like avail for SG issued card as well)
Also, not aware we can bring a guest for PP lounge - is this new?

carrotjuice Jun 2, 2016 7:25 am

Originally Posted by LuisHK (Post 26716199)
Will fully utilising this make Citi Prestige more worthwhile? (Looks like avail for SG issued card as well)
Also, not aware we can bring a guest for PP lounge - is this new?

The SG version is slightly different from the US one. Not aware that we can bring a guest to PP (for SG version).

None of the other benefits otherwise mentioned for the US card, but the much touted 4th night free is identical because SG uses the same TA booking service.

w4rd Jun 2, 2016 8:04 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26716538)
The SG version is slightly different from the US one. Not aware that we can bring a guest to PP (for SG version).

None of the other benefits otherwise mentioned for the US card, but the much touted 4th night free is identical because SG uses the same TA booking service.

Bringing a guest into PP lounge with Prestige was added this year.

ExSin Jun 2, 2016 8:31 am

Change in KF acrrual on VA TATL

Got this strange policy change in my mailbox. From KF.

Dear Mr Ex-Sin,

Change in accrual of KrisFlyer Elite miles on Virgin Atlantic

We wish to inform you that you will no longer be able to earn KrisFlyer Elite miles* on Virgin Atlantic operated flights, departing on/after 1 July 2016, between the Americas and Europe. However, you can continue to earn KrisFlyer Elite miles on the rest of Virgin Atlantic's non-transatlantic flight network.

There is no change to the accrual of KrisFlyer miles that you currently enjoy on Virgin Atlantic operated flights across their network

percysmith Jun 2, 2016 9:04 am

Got it too. Think it has to do with VS's alliance with DL TATL.