FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

fledglingraptormoon May 15, 2016 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 26631295)
It is a bad idea to use OTAs to buy tickets on LLCs. Especially with Jetstar.

Agreed. I would usually not do that but in this case, found a very good packaged rate.

invisible May 15, 2016 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by w4rd (Post 26631329)
Anecdotally I have a friend who bought a Jetstar ticket last year with Expedia and at checkin found that his reservation existed, but wasn't paid for. He had to buy another, more expensive, ticket and pursue Expedia for a refund...

He at the end ended up paying more expensive ticket. The right course of action would be to force expedia to pay for the expensive one, but good luck with that.

My person example with Expedia was that I got 'airline has modified your itinerary' completely invalidating my trip without an option reject or change it. And Expedia Singapore works only during business hours, contrary to 24h Expedia US, but Expedia US can't modify bookings made in Singapore. Neither airline can - you have to go back to OTA.

I was lucky that it was three weeks out and I was able to restore the itin, but it required 45min roaming call while in Thailand.

flo-e May 16, 2016 3:52 am

Originally Posted by staff (Post 26602426)
Interesting. Did you apply online?

yes.

w4rd May 16, 2016 8:42 am

In case you havn't seen, Citibank PremierMiles Visa has a great sign up offer for new customers. 42K miles for spending $10K in 3 months and paying annual fee, which is pretty good for general spend on a Visa.

https://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/cred...-visa-card.htm

Of course I already have a Citibank card so don't qualify. :/

Kelvin L May 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by w4rd (Post 26633067)
In case you havn't seen, Citibank PremierMiles Visa has a great sign up offer for new customers. 42K miles for spending $10K in 3 months and paying annual fee, which is pretty good for general spend on a Visa.

https://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/cred...-visa-card.htm

Of course I already have a Citibank card so don't qualify. :/

actually not that good just ok. out of 42k, first 15k is sign up bonus but you have to pay first year annual fee. but this is better than the normal 10k for annual fee.

next 15k bonus is for $10k spend in 3 months.

and lastly, 12k is the miles accumulated for those $10k spend.

w4rd May 16, 2016 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kelvin L (Post 26636304)
actually not that good just ok. out of 42k, first 15k is sign up bonus but you have to pay first year annual fee. but this is better than the normal 10k for annual fee.

next 15k bonus is for $10k spend in 3 months.

and lastly, 12k is the miles accumulated for those $10k spend.

Yeah, thats true. It does work out at just over 4miles/$ on that first $10K, which is pretty good for general spend, but the annual fee does eat into that value.

vade May 16, 2016 8:54 pm

For those with experience renting cars in North America, do you know if any of our local credit cards offer car rental insurance or Loss Damage Waiver?

UK_Ship May 17, 2016 2:43 am

HSBC Visa Infinite covers you for up to $2k (iirc) for hire car damage excess if you pay for the car with the card

SingaporeDon May 17, 2016 6:57 am

Originally Posted by UK_Ship (Post 26637402)
HSBC Visa Infinite covers you for up to $2k (iirc) for hire car damage excess if you pay for the car with the card

S$2k is inadequate coverage. You may be better off booking all inclusive rates with car rental companies in Singapore

SingaporeDon May 17, 2016 7:01 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 26607607)
You made error again. :) You are getting 10K points/4K miles for $50. Yes can be calculated this way, but similar ratio you will get by paying annual fee in other cards.

1.25 S$ cents per 1 SQ KF mile is cheapest I have seen.

Pay AF, get SQ KF miles usually runs at $192.60 AF for 10,000 miles or 1.926 S$ cents per mile

Which cards are you thinking about where paying the AF earns you SQ KF @ 1.25 S$ cents per mile?

HAHA May 17, 2016 1:15 pm

HSBC HK Premier

Does anybody else take advantage of HSBC Hong Kong credit cards for Krisflyer miles? Its only one hkd reward for every 250hkd spent, but 1hkd can be exchanged for 15 krisflyer miles. when you add in the 6x bonus for overseas spending (all of my spending is considered overseas) and occasional 11x or 16x bonus

shuigao May 17, 2016 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by HAHA (Post 26639958)
Does anybody else take advantage of HSBC Hong Kong credit cards for Krisflyer miles?

I'd imagine the vast majority of us on these boards don't really have convenient ways to apply for banking facilities in more than two countries (singapore, and our home country).

On a similar vein ... Maybank Malaysia has an Amex which accrues 5 Treats Points (TP) per MYR1 spend, and redemption rates are 4.77 TP per KF mile. Works out eventually to 3.07 KF miles per s$1.

Of course that accrual rate probably drops a bit when you consider the FX spread at time of charging to the card, and again when you have to change your SGD to MYR to pay it off, though ...

Awesom Andy May 17, 2016 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by w4rd (Post 26636388)
Yeah, thats true. It does work out at just over 4miles/$ on that first $10K, which is pretty good for general spend, but the annual fee does eat into that value.

Although if you have a big purchase coming up, I don't think there's anything better at the moment. At exactly $10k, it is 4.12 miles per dollar spent (taking account of the annual fee)

Originally Posted by HAHA (Post 26639958)
Does anybody else take advantage of HSBC Hong Kong credit cards for Krisflyer miles? Its only one hkd reward for every 250hkd spent, but 1hkd can be exchanged for 15 krisflyer miles. when you add in the 6x bonus for overseas spending (all of my spending is considered overseas) and occasional 11x or 16x bonus

At the current mid fx rate of 5.65, after the 6x bonus, it's 2.034 miles per SGD. So it's really only 0.6-0.8 miles on top of a local card, and probably not going to cover the fx fees. At 11x, it's 3.729 miles per dollar, and 16x is 5.424.

tycosiao May 18, 2016 6:47 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 26638034)
S$2k is inadequate coverage. You may be better off booking all inclusive rates with car rental companies in Singapore

Shouldn't the 2k be covering excess charges up to 2k?

lokijuh May 18, 2016 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by tycosiao (Post 26643659)
Shouldn't the 2k be covering excess charges up to 2k?

Yes if the excess on the rental is <$2k it is adequate coverage.

If excess on the rental is greater than >$2k (or most likely some number slightly above $2k, such as $2.2 or $2.3k, depending on individual) then it is inadequate coverage.