FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

Kilian Zoll Jul 3, 2016 8:27 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 26864391)
That's why we keep track manually.

Sure, that's how I caught it. The fact that we need to keep spreadsheets of every transaction to avoid the risk of being scammed is laughable though.

Volasia Jul 3, 2016 9:03 am

Originally Posted by staff (Post 26864639)
Sure, that's how I caught it. The fact that we need to keep spreadsheets of every transaction to avoid the risk of being scammed is laughable though.

Actually their statement mentions it. No need to keep track.

yosithezet Jul 3, 2016 9:55 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 26850475)
You have to go to Rewards redemption page to view the points credit history.

You can go to www.citirewards.com as well.

Thanks!

All these years and I never knew!

demue Jul 3, 2016 10:06 am

I redeemed my Uni$ so it is less than what they deduct for annual fee. They should do proactive fee waivers, but I guess it is better to charge and wait and see. Will apply for waiver too.

lcpteck Jul 3, 2016 10:33 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 26864930)
Thanks!

All these years and I never knew!

It's actually a new system/feature that became available after they converted to Thank You Rewards back in October last year.

invisible Jul 3, 2016 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 26865115)
It's actually a new system/feature that became available after they converted to Thank You Rewards back in October last year.

BTW, I can tell after after 120K annual citi$ is met, there are no other citi$ awarded, so no point (pun intended) to use the card.

carrotjuice Jul 3, 2016 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by staff (Post 26863932)
The annoying part is that there is no way of keeping track of your points transactions, so who knows how many miles UOB have stolen off unsuspecting cardholders in lieu of the annual fee over the years. It's a scam, nothing less.

Wouldn't say it's a scam... just a system deficiency at UOB and - despite constant feedback that they should break it down on the statement or at least make available such reporting online - it's constantly fallen on Jacquelyn Tan's deaf ears. Suppose it's not a priority of hers.

carrotjuice Jul 3, 2016 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 26865517)
BTW, I can tell after after 120K annual citi$ is met, there are no other citi$ awarded, so no point (pun intended) to use the card.

The 120K cap should only apply to first S$12K spendings per membership year that attract 10X Citi Rewards.

You should still receive the regular (1X) Citi Rewards - and there is no cap for that (obviously, why would anyone use this card other than for spendings that attract 10X).

carrotjuice Jul 3, 2016 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 26864983)
I redeemed my Uni$ so it is less than what they deduct for annual fee. They should do proactive fee waivers, but I guess it is better to charge and wait and see. Will apply for waiver too.

No UOB absolutely puts cardholders through a convoluted systemic brainless process even though they - eventually, in all likelihood - would decide to waive your fee just to retain you as a customer.

See my earlier post where I had ranted on the process.

Conclusion - if you don't get any fee waiver from their IVR process, insist to speak to a live person and threaten to cancel. Trust me, banks will avoid terminating your relationship at any cost especially if you have sound credit and pay your bills on time - it costs them a lot more to acquire a new customer than to retain one.

carrotjuice Jul 3, 2016 5:16 pm

Apple / Samsung / Android Pay

With all these "pay with your credit card stored on your mobile phone" capabilities launched in Singapore... I don't quite get the purpose.

Previously, you dish out your plastic, the merchant prints a slip, you sign it.

Now you unlock your phone and app, touch the phone to the pad and STILL the merchant prints out a slip for you to sign.

Aside from not having to fill up a burgeoning wallet with multiple cards thus avoid losing them... plus presumably extra security for the merchant... is there really additional convenience benefit to us, the cardholders?

percysmith Jul 3, 2016 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26866511)
No UOB absolutely puts cardholders through a convoluted systemic brainless process even though they - eventually, in all likelihood - would decide to waive your fee just to retain you as a customer

Sounds like HK http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post17405261

We don't have kiasu so I called it trying for an annual fee. If someone finds a suitable Chinglish term please let me know.

One difference in HK is that they don't deduct your points/reward cash so it's a lot easier to spot when you've been billed and to harass a CS agent for a waiver.

percysmith Jul 3, 2016 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26866527)
Now you unlock your phone and app, touch the phone to the pad and STILL the merchant prints out a slip for you to sign.

(emphasis mine)

In SG, is there no Small Ticket Transaction i.e. you don't sign for under a certain amount?

Just back from Oz:

1. We felt like dinosaurs when presenting HKD cards (the Aussie's low and sinking further due to possible hung parliament) and cashiers slap them on Paywave/Paypass readers (the ones with promos have not been replaced yet)

2. Even after sticking them into chip readers, we're not asked to sign most of the time (only if the transaction is over A$100) (our HKD cards do not have chip and PIN capability (in my view this is to the cardholders' advantage))

lcpteck Jul 3, 2016 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 26866970)
In SG, is there no Small Ticket Transaction i.e. you don't sign for under a certain amount?

I think only Visa Paywave transactions under S$100 do not need a signature.

SQ319 Jul 3, 2016 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 26867009)
I think only Visa Paywave transactions under S$100 do not need a signature.

Amex too... But I think it also depends on the type of machine the merchant is using...

However, some kiasu merchants will still ask you to sign anyway...

Volasia Jul 3, 2016 10:09 pm

Apple Pay is actually very fast. No need to activate the phone. Just wave it with your finger on the home button. Takes 2 seconds.