FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

toothpick2 Aug 1, 2016 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26974929)
Didn't know of such a thing. I thought it's either in their T&Cs or not.

Wonder if this is conjecture or based on personal experience?

when they cant provide the credit back, you ask for it in vouchers and they tend to oblige.

if they value your business they'll compensate you. couple hundred/thousand dollars of loss is small relative to finding a new spending customer

ExSin Aug 1, 2016 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 26997643)
I bought stuff today at FairPrice without a problem. Still have one card with couple of hundred $ left in the account and plan to empty it before the end of the month and after that submit for refund.

Lol seems YMMV here too !

I tapped 'in' to MRT this morning. Failed. Tried again- allowed me to enter.
Tap out - Failed multiple times (at Raffles it shows error code 30 :D )

Went to counter and the lady frowned upon me as the card was blacklisted. Had I been dressed shabbily, she would have perhaps 'acted' with suspicions of theft.

Used another card and exited.

Game over for Imagine!

MilesBuzz Aug 2, 2016 6:15 am

It's getting increasingly difficult to get the annual fees waived for UOB cards nowadays.

So far, I only had 1 (UOB PRVI Master Card) out of 4 cards with annual fees being waived. 1 card (PRVI Visa, which I never used since I had it last year) was already cancelled last month and if I still could not get the fees cancelled for the other 2 cards, I will proceed to get them cancelled too.

I never used the PRVI AE too since I had the Master Card last year and will probably cancel this one for sure. As for the Preferred Platinum Visa, I only use it for grocery and PayWave transactions.

Anyone having the same issues this year with UOB?

Volasia Aug 2, 2016 7:37 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 27002753)
It's getting increasingly difficult to get the annual fees waived for UOB cards nowadays.

So far, I only had 1 (UOB PRVI Master Card) out of 4 cards with annual fees being waived. 1 card (PRVI Visa, which I never used since I had it last year) was already cancelled last month and if I still could not get the fees cancelled for the other 2 cards, I will proceed to get them cancelled too.

I never used the PRVI AE too since I had the Master Card last year and will probably cancel this one for sure. As for the Preferred Platinum Visa, I only use it for grocery and PayWave transactions.

Anyone having the same issues this year with UOB?

if you never use the card, I'm not surprised you cannot get the fee waived...

carrotjuice Aug 2, 2016 8:26 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 27002753)

Did you speak to an agent or just went through the IVR rigmarole? Agents normally have the ability to override when the stupid machine says no. But yes UOB does make you go through annoying unnecessary hoops to get the fee waived.

chewiegranolabar Aug 2, 2016 3:49 pm

I cancelled a few UOB cards last month for the same reason

laurent_rio Aug 2, 2016 5:31 pm

How long is the process of enrolment of DBS frequent Flyer Programme ?. I already sent form by mail to register last week and still cant redeem online.

laurent_rio Aug 2, 2016 5:36 pm

now my ez link card also black listed, ask ticket office they said need to call ez link for processing the balance inside.

I think they are lying about this :

WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO USE THE EZ-LINK PURSE?
The ez-link purse has a 5 years validity period. It will not be affected and will still be valid. For matters regarding the ez-link purse, please visit www.ezlink.com.sg.

MilesBuzz Aug 2, 2016 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 27003249)
Did you speak to an agent or just went through the IVR rigmarole? Agents normally have the ability to override when the stupid machine says no. But yes UOB does make you go through annoying unnecessary hoops to get the fee waived.

I did speak to an agent yesterday when I tried to get the fees waived for the UOB PPV Card which I use frequently for groceries and PayWave transactions. That's why I was quite surprised when she said that she could not get the fees waived and asked me whether I want to appeal. Eventually, I requested for an appeal and I will only get the results of the appeal within 5 business days.

Last month, I went through the IVR and got 1 of the 2 fees waived. However another one failed to get waived, even after speaking to an agent. So, I cancelled the card.

MilesBuzz Aug 2, 2016 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 27003025)
if you never use the card, I'm not surprised you cannot get the fee waived...

As I mentioned in the previous post, I did use the PPV Card regularly. That's why I was very surprised not to get any fee waivers, when in the past, it was rather "automatic" to have the fee waived.

MilesBuzz Aug 2, 2016 6:20 pm

This is also an opportunity for me to reconsider my strategy for the card usage:
Citibank Rewards - for department store transactions (4 miles for every S$1, up to a max of S$10k). Annual fee of S$192.60 usually waived easily.

Citibank PM AE - used it to pay for SQ tickets previously but now, no such need. Pay annual fee of S$267.50 to get the 15k miles.

DBS Altitude Visa & AE - Pay annual fees of S$192.60 each for both cards to get 20k miles in total. The Visa Card is also used to pay for overseas insurance premiums to get 2 miles for every S$1 of overseas transactions.

DBS Woman's Master Card - 4 miles for every S$1 for online transactions up to a max of S$2k a month. Annual fee of S$192.60 waived quite easily too.

ANZ Travel Visa - Pay annual fee of S$200 to get 10k miles. 1.4 miles for every S$1 of local transactions. This may be used to replace UOB PRVI Master Card next year if my annual fee waiver request is rejected.

UOB PRVI Master - see above. Mostly used for local & overseas transactions now and the annual fee of S$256.80 is waived this year. But may cancel it next year.

UOB PP Visa - used mainly for groceries and PayWave transactions, earning 4 miles for every S$1 up to S$24k a year. Annual fee of S$192.80 usually waived quite easily but this year, asked to pay. If my request for waiver fails, it will be cancelled.

UOB PRVI AE - will cancel this one.

SCB Visa Infinite- a new card that I applied for in May this year. Used mainly for overseas transactions now with the promotion of 3 miles for every S$1 of overseas transactions (at least S$2k for that particular month, up to 31 December 2016). Paid annual fee of S$588.50 this year to get the bonus of 40k miles. Not sure whether I can get this waived next year. There is also this promotion to earn reward points for tax payment (but have to pay 1.6% processing fee) which I have yet to explore.

shuigao Aug 2, 2016 7:19 pm

I'm always amazed at you guys who can consistently carry around 10 cards and juggle each card for each separate transaction type. I don't have the intelligence for that; just Citi PM Visa + Amex for everything for me :D

Kilian Zoll Aug 2, 2016 7:32 pm

How does one go about getting the EZ Link wallet on the Imagine Cars refunded? Went to the MRT customer service desk today who said I need to contact the bank..

Kelvin L Aug 2, 2016 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 27006112)
This is also an opportunity for me to reconsider my strategy for the card usage:
Citibank Rewards - for department store transactions (4 miles for every S$1, up to a max of S$10k). Annual fee of S$192.60 usually waived easily.

Citibank PM AE - used it to pay for SQ tickets previously but now, no such need. Pay annual fee of S$267.50 to get the 15k miles.

DBS Altitude Visa & AE - Pay annual fees of S$192.60 each for both cards to get 20k miles in total. The Visa Card is also used to pay for overseas insurance premiums to get 2 miles for every S$1 of overseas transactions.

DBS Woman's Master Card - 4 miles for every S$1 for online transactions up to a max of S$2k a month. Annual fee of S$192.60 waived quite easily too.

ANZ Travel Visa - Pay annual fee of S$200 to get 10k miles. 1.4 miles for every S$1 of local transactions. This may be used to replace UOB PRVI Master Card next year if my annual fee waiver request is rejected.

UOB PRVI Master - see above. Mostly used for local & overseas transactions now and the annual fee of S$256.80 is waived this year. But may cancel it next year.

UOB PP Visa - used mainly for groceries and PayWave transactions, earning 4 miles for every S$1 up to S$24k a year. Annual fee of S$192.80 usually waived quite easily but this year, asked to pay. If my request for waiver fails, it will be cancelled.

UOB PRVI AE - will cancel this one.

SCB Visa Infinite- a new card that I applied for in May this year. Used mainly for overseas transactions now with the promotion of 3 miles for every S$1 of overseas transactions (at least S$2k for that particular month, up to 31 December 2016). Paid annual fee of S$588.50 this year to get the bonus of 40k miles. Not sure whether I can get this waived next year. There is also this promotion to earn reward points for tax payment (but have to pay 1.6% processing fee) which I have yet to explore.

I hold similar cards too. But I think the best cards accrual for me the past year are UOB PP Visa and DBS Altitude. UOB for groceries and DBS for travel. Chalked up lots of miles for DBS for the last 8miles $ expedia promo. There is one 8miles/$ promo currently which I am planning for my year end trip.

One other card I am still considering is the HSBC Advance Visa Platinum
which gives 4miles/$ for online and local dining.

lcpteck Aug 2, 2016 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 27006361)
I'm always amazed at you guys who can consistently carry around 10 cards and juggle each card for each separate transaction type. I don't have the intelligence for that; just Citi PM Visa + Amex for everything for me :D

I guess we have no life.... :(