FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

demue Jun 12, 16 12:47 am

After 10+ years service is still what it was back then, touted big time as a differentiator, but haphazard and reluctantly executed at best. Staff in general and CSRs in particular are often challenged with even basic knowledge of the product or service they handle. Efforts are often half hearted and all that is compounded by lack of authority / empowerment even up to supervisor or manager level. To a degree, some firms have slightly better track record than others, but in the end following through with the customer oriented promises made, works only sometimes. I'll just vote with feet and take my business / service some place else ad that is all one can do in the end. There are exceptions at times, but for a supposedly service focused economy this still has a,long way to go. Banks, insurance firms, retailers, restaurants, etc.all fall into that category.

dp86 Jun 12, 16 2:23 am

No offence, but to the CSO/Customer Service over the past few years has been dominated by one country off the coast of Singapore. If you ever get on a phone with a Singaporean, you will see the level of service being up there (a different class and a different level). But if not, 3/4 - 90 percent of the time you get a worse service if you are facing another country people working in SG

I agree with EXSIN, you get bad experiences, including the states and the uk

chewiegranolabar Jun 12, 16 3:22 am


Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26747422)
Not sure if it's worth the bother. T&Cs say "Transactions made on brokerage/securities and/or money payment/transfer websites are not classified as retail transactions and are expressly excluded. For Online Transactions which involve EZ-Link or Transitlink, 10x Rewards points are capped at 2,000 HSBC Rewards points per Account per calendar month (i.e. S$200 spend)."

I earn around 100,000 points a month so I don't think the cap is in place. It's my primary online shopping card, never used offline so I believe I've been getting the 10x points. The exchange rate is 5000 points for 2000 miles

demue Jun 12, 16 7:53 am


Originally Posted by dp86 (Post 26765594)
I agree with EXSIN, you get bad experiences, including the states and the uk

Definitely, Europe and US are no exception and things can go wrong anywhere. However, customer service recovery is weak in SIN other than getting repeated "sorry" and some sort of a puzzled smile (if face to face) hoping that the troublemaking customer goes away together with the problem :)

toothpick2 Jun 12, 16 8:07 pm

UOB have terrible CS

LuisHK Jun 12, 16 9:40 pm


Originally Posted by invisible (Post 26757679)
If that bank is HSBC - I will name them on every corner. Because these f-ers did enough to me so I can write a book - "How NOT To Treat Your Customers - interactions with HSBC Singapore'.

Today I was at Raffles Place branch submitting Tax Payment Facility paperwork and new update Signature paperwork. Let's see how it will go this time, but here is the story for you:

They managed two years ago to FUBAR everything - I sent paperwork for tax payment, have not heard anything from them for 2 weeks called, finally visited Raffles branch and refused to leave until they give me update on that matter. After two hours was told that paperwork was denied because signature does not match the one in file and when I told them that I can update it now, was told that it is too late to re-submit it.

Almost lost it there - wanted to throw something at them. For such kind of behaviour they would end up facing class action suit back in States. Here in Singapore it is norm.

I've stopped banking with them some years ago - it is not just Singapore that they screw everything up, I have similar experience in HK too.

Let's not even go to customer service shall we? They don't even get their basics right!

LuisHK Jun 12, 16 9:45 pm


Originally Posted by dp86 (Post 26765594)
No offence, but to the CSO/Customer Service over the past few years has been dominated by one country off the coast of Singapore. If you ever get on a phone with a Singaporean, you will see the level of service being up there (a different class and a different level). But if not, 3/4 - 90 percent of the time you get a worse service if you are facing another country people working in SG

I agree with EXSIN, you get bad experiences, including the states and the uk

It depends on who they employ and the culture of the Bank. Some banks employ local part-timers... while they might not be as nonchalant as those outsourced jokers, they are equally clueless.

carrotjuice Jun 13, 16 3:09 am

Back to DBS WMC-gate. CSO consulted the product manager, who said the terms were uploaded to the website on 7 June and cardholders were not individually communicated but "deemed communicated via the website".

When asked for the effective date for the changes, CSO said there has been no change to the terms because "the exclusions have been in place all this while" and the uploaded terms were intended to "make these exclusions more explicit".

I immediately disputed this, saying that 10X points were earned for all spends (even for the supposedly excluded items) up till last month... hence the recent 7 June upload to the website was CHANGING the terms and that required REASONABLE NOTICE.

CSO understood this and has gone back again to check with the product manager.

The saga continues...

jjjohn Jun 13, 16 3:41 am


Originally Posted by invisible (Post 26761642)
Three years ago, applied to HSBC Advance, filled ALL forms, asked over email and phone call if everything I've provided was sufficient, have not heard anything for 4 weeks. When I called back, was told that the person who took my application has left, and because new person was not aware of my application, now I need to start everything again.

I told him to stuck the application where the sun don't shine.

My own experience, applied online, submitted all document online as well.
Keep receiving email to ask the same set of documents. So submitted all of them again, a week later same request email arrived my mailbox again.
This time, called the CS hotline, the other end didn't know what was going on.
And would find out for me. End up they needed another document which was never stated in the email.

invisible Jun 13, 16 4:12 am

HSBC saga continues. Every time I think they can't surprise me anymore with their stupidity, well, they manage to do it again.

Today's story: got notification from Premier RM that my tax payment paperwork was denied because... the processed tax and the fee exceeds the credit limit on the Premier Mastercard by 12 (TWELVE) dollars!

So I have to fill the application form to request credit increase, submit the income document (which was already submitted when I brought tax paperwork to the office) my ID (which they have and was submitted last time last WEEK!) alongside with signature (which might be denied again because it does not match the one in file).

After that HSBC will decide to increase or not the credit limit on the Premier Mastercard.

Now questions to the audience:

- Do they purposely take people with IQ less than 50 to work in their offices?
- If they treat like this their 'Premier' customers, could you imagine how they treat ordinary people?

carrotjuice Jun 13, 16 4:24 am

Another anecdote for HSBC. After I had terminated my relationship with them, I keep receiving emails to access my statement online. It took me over a year before I got these nuisance emails to stop...

carrotjuice Jun 13, 16 4:27 am

And don't get me started on Citibank who every time I do something new with them as a longstanding existing customer, they keep asking for a photocopy of my NRIC.

Tyrhung Jun 13, 16 4:29 am


Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26770296)
Back to DBS WMC-gate. CSO consulted the product manager, who said the terms were uploaded to the website on 7 June and cardholders were not individually communicated but "deemed communicated via the website".

When asked for the effective date for the changes, CSO said there has been no change to the terms because "the exclusions have been in place all this while" and the uploaded terms were intended to "make these exclusions more explicit".

I immediately disputed this, saying that 10X points were earned for all spends (even for the supposedly excluded items) up till last month... hence the recent 7 June upload to the website was CHANGING the terms and that required REASONABLE NOTICE.

CSO understood this and has gone back again to check with the product manager.

The saga continues...

It would be a good news if its per what the CSO answered. Nevertheless still need to wait for their reply.
Thanks CJ

lingua101 Jun 13, 16 4:32 am


Originally Posted by LuisHK (Post 26769411)
I've stopped banking with them some years ago - it is not just Singapore that they screw everything up, I have similar experience in HK too.

Let's not even go to customer service shall we? They don't even get their basics right!

I also cancel my HSBC VI after 4 years being the suckers :)

invisible, I will buy your book. May be I can be your co-author?

LuisHK Jun 13, 16 4:43 am


Originally Posted by invisible (Post 26770413)
Now questions to the audience:
- Do they purposely take people with IQ less than 50 to work in their offices?

No. Just that they are so rigid in the set of flawed process they've set up.


Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26770442)
And don't get me started on Citibank who every time I do something new with them as a longstanding existing customer, they keep asking for a photocopy of my NRIC.

I get this from them as well, but at least they get things done - not come back with stupid reasons.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:45 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.