FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

w4rd Jan 15, 2017 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by DM007 (Post 27767159)
w4rd, which one would you recommend for the 4miles/$?

Unfortunately there isn't one must have card, but the post's wiki at the top lists a few:
DBS Woman's World Mastercard (men also can) for online
UOB PPV for Paywave
UOB PPA for Dining (maybe withdrawn)
Citi Rewards for certain shopping and online spend
HSBC Advance for most general spend but have to jump through some hoops to qualify.

lcpteck Jan 15, 2017 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by w4rd (Post 27766951)
Both cards are alright for general spend, though with some management its possible to put a significant amount of daily spend though more achievable cards earning 4miles/$.
Personally I am not interested in trying to meet the AUM requirements too.

I'm sure the AUM requirements are in the 6 digits or more, out of reach for the common folks like us.

w4rd Jan 15, 2017 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 27767458)
I'm sure the AUM requirements are in the 6 digits or more, out of reach for the common folks like us.

7 digits for UOB!
If I had those resources I doubt I'd be fussing about an extra 0.2miles/$

DM007 Jan 15, 2017 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by w4rd (Post 27767511)
7 digits for UOB!
If I had those resources I doubt I'd be fussing about an extra 0.2miles/$

I have the UOB card and can tell you that the advertised AUM requirements are not true.

I had the UOB PRVI Miles Credit Card and due to my spending on the card, they called me up and invited me to switch to the UOB Privilege Reserve (which is advertised with a 7 digit requirement.)

I have $0 AUM with UOB and I don't even have a bank account with them.

All these 'invitation only' credit cards are positioned to appear more exclusive than they actually are. If you call them you can request an invitation and if you are willing to pay the $3K+ annual fee and you have a generally good income, you will get the card with no issues.

lcpteck Jan 15, 2017 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by DM007 (Post 27767731)
I have the UOB card and can tell you that the advertised AUM requirements are not true.

I had the UOB PRVI Miles Credit Card and due to my spending on the card, they called me up and invited me to switch to the UOB Privilege Reserve (which is advertised with a 7 digit requirement.)

All these 'invitation only' credit cards are positioned to appear more exclusive than they actually are. If you call them you can request an invitation and if you are willing to pay the $3K+ annual fee and you have a generally good income, you will get the card with no issues.

Scary spending you have. :eek:

sandyph Jan 16, 2017 12:02 am

http://www.straitstimes.com/business...with-air-miles

Interesting 'article' from ST. So I guess 1million miles in a year is doable :D

edit. I know that this article is somewhat an advertisement for their website, but still nice to read (if true)

w4rd Jan 16, 2017 12:24 am

That's interesting to know, thanks!

carrotjuice Jan 16, 2017 6:22 am

Originally Posted by sandyph (Post 27767946)

edit. I know that this article is somewhat an advertisement for their website, but still nice to read (if true)

Nothing to see here, nothing to see. Really.

fone Jan 16, 2017 7:29 am

RTW books into special category for SQ or the just I class?

lcpteck Jan 16, 2017 8:20 am

Originally Posted by fone (Post 27769128)
RTW books into special category for SQ or the just I class?

I can't imagine the taxes/fuel surcharge for a RTW on SQ award. Though it's not bad at 240k miles in business class.

Ghost07 Jan 16, 2017 8:21 am

Thanks for sharing. I just call UOB CSO requesting to send me an invitation. They will contact me within 1-2 working days

ExSin Jan 16, 2017 8:24 am

As promised

As promised late Dec, status of Dee-bee-s woman's spendings. That woman gave bonus for:
- road tx
- insurnce
- FEVer
- cappak season renewal

apologies for intented typos. lets bury this topic till dee-bee-s woman starts cheating on us. :D

vade Jan 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by ExSin (Post 27769360)
As promised late Dec, status of Dee-bee-s woman's spendings. That woman gave bonus for:
- road tx
- insurnce
- FEVer
- cappak season renewal

apologies for intented typos. lets bury this topic till dee-bee-s woman starts cheating on us. :D

Thanks for sharing! Have you tried this card for property tax as well? Works?

invisible Jan 16, 2017 8:35 pm

What they 'conveniently' omitted from that writing is that YQ/taxes from RTW tickets is most likely at least couple of thousand $. So no, it not 'free tickets costing $77000', you will end up paying $10000 for four tickets in taxes/fees for four people. Correct me if I am wrong.

Second thing they also 'conveniently' omitted is how much spending did it require to accumulated 1m miles. Take into consideration that Citi Rewards and UOB have $12k/year limit earning 4m/$ with online purchases and DBS - 24k/year. So per person (assuming they both have all these cards) spend comes to $5k/mo - $10k/both - 40k miles/mo.

That's 480k miles per year, so another 520k needs to come from somewhere. And there your earn rate is 1.6 miles per $. Which translates into $325000 spent over a year or $27000/mo.

Bottom line - '$37000/mo spent can get you 1m miles per year' and that's best case scenario. Considering that they run business, it would be logical to assume that they are using their own personal credit card for business expenses to accumulate miles.

spk307 Jan 17, 2017 6:53 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 27772889)
What they 'conveniently' omitted from that writing is that YQ/taxes from RTW tickets is most likely at least couple of thousand $. So no, it not 'free tickets costing $77000', you will end up paying $10000 for four tickets in taxes/fees for four people. Correct me if I am wrong.

I doubt it'll be that much. Only SQ charges ridiculous surcharges. Cant see more than 2 legs on SQ. Rest should be on other *alliance, so max for the whole family will be $3-4k in surcharges.