FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

epigram Jan 18, 2017 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Ghost07 (Post 27769342)
Thanks for sharing. I just call UOB CSO requesting to send me an invitation. They will contact me within 1-2 working days

how did the call go? are they strict with the spending qualification?

i'm afraid they'll laugh their heads off when I ask for an invite - I still have some way to go to reach the spending qualification.

aster Jan 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Has anyone tried out the Kaligo 10 miles/$ promo via either DBS Altitude or UOB PRVI Amex?

I noticed that in the T&Cs DBS mentions that the extra points will be credited within 60 days of the end of each quarter (qualifying period). So any transactions now will have to wait for up to 60 days counting from April 1 before all points are credited.

What is UOB's stance on this? I haven't seen them post anything about the remaining points being credited well into the future. Could they be posting full points for each transaction without delay?

demue Jan 18, 2017 10:05 pm

I had a look the other day for the DBS one, but it really depends what rates they offer. In my case Kaligo was quite uncompetitive rates wise with non-refundable rates excl. Breakfast costing more than the direct booking flex rate. I like my miles, but that as a bit too much to overpay.

YMMV depending on property and all and there may be some decent deals, but it is quite time consuming to figure it out and compare across.

carrotjuice Jan 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 27785146)
I had a look the other day for the DBS one, but it really depends what rates they offer. In my case Kaligo was quite uncompetitive rates wise with non-refundable rates excl. Breakfast costing more than the direct booking flex rate. I like my miles, but that as a bit too much to overpay.

YMMV depending on property and all and there may be some decent deals, but it is quite time consuming to figure it out and compare across.

I view Kaligo as akin to - perhaps slightly over simplistically - buying miles by "overpaying".

Ghost07 Jan 19, 2017 4:26 am

Originally Posted by epigram (Post 27781388)
how did the call go? are they strict with the spending qualification?

i'm afraid they'll laugh their heads off when I ask for an invite - I still have some way to go to reach the spending qualification.

UOB call me and said the invitation condition if annual income is more than $500K or cc spending is more than 150K.

The perks including 100K miles upon renewal, free hotel stay, access to tower club & china club, able to pay for tax bill and still earn miles, mileage earning rate is 1.6 miles per $1 local spending or 2 miles to $1 for spending overseas, and many more.....

They will email m a detailed benefits shortly.

Ghost07 Jan 19, 2017 4:57 am

Originally Posted by DM007 (Post 27764481)
IMO, the two best credit cards for KF points accrual are the UOB Privilege Reserve and the DBS Insignia Credit Card.

Both these cards give 1.6 miles for S$1 local spend. The usual benefits of travel insurance, unlimited Priority Pass, etc. are included.

UOB Privilege Reserve

Annual fee of $3852 and has the two unique features:

1) 100,000 welcome / renewal miles and another 100,000 miles if you spend more than $250K in a year. If you can hit the $250K spend, then that works out to 1.93 cents per mile.

2) The ability to purchase an unlimited amount of miles directly from UOB at the rate of 1.9 cents per mile. To my knowledge, no other card in Singapore has this feature.

If you are a person that travels a lot and needs a lot of miles but doesn't necessarily spend a lot on their credit card, then this card is perfect. No other card offers the ability to outrightly purchase miles.

DBS Insignia

Annual fee of $3210:

1) 100,000 welcome / renewal miles

2) 2 complimentary nights every year which you can choose from a great list of hotel brands such as Anantara, COMO, Taj Hotels, etc.

Full details at:

http://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/cards...-insignia.page

The DBS Insignia is my top pick because I feel the benefits you receive outweigh the annual fee you pay.

If you value a KF mile at 1.9 cents, then 100,000 miles is a $1900 benefit.

For the complimentary 2 nights, the smartest option is to use them at an expensive destination such as the Maldives. There are three properties you can choose from:

PER AQUUM Niyama, Maldives
The Residence Maldives
Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort, Maldives

Maldives hotel room rates vary depending on the month, but it rarely ever goes below US$500 per night. At the time of writing this, one night in the Sunrise Beach Villa at Anatara Dhigu is USD 758. But let's be conservative and assume you are able to get a deal on a Maldives hotel at US$500 per night. Then these two complimentary nights are worth S$1420 at minimum.

($1900 + $1420) - $3210 = $110

So just based on these two benefits, you are already $110 ahead with the DBS Insignia card. In reality this number should be higher as rooms in Maldives at these resorts are priced closer to US$750 and not $500. And I still have not accounted for the other benefits of this card such as:

- Club at the Hyatt Membership
- Full use of the Grand Hyatt Singapore's Pool and Gym, and group classes for Yoga, Pilates, Circuit Training, and Zumba
- Unlimited Priority Pass
- Metal Card
- 1.6 miles for every $1.6 local spend

Once you include the benefits above, IMO this is the best card out there as it returns the most value in return for the annual fee. I am writing this post to 1) share with the community in case there are members who do not know about this card and 2) to see if there is someone out there who has found a better card than this, and if so, please share the details! :)

[B][U]Here is the requirement for DBS Insignia[B][U]

The DBS Insignia Visa Infinite membership is exclusively by-invitation only, it is the only card in town that offers up to a million dollar credit limit (subject to bank’s discretion).

To qualify for an invitation, there is a minimum annual income of S$500,000 (we have noted your annual income range) and a non-waivable annual membership fee of S$3,000 (before GST).

One of the key features of the DBS Insignia card is the attractive miles conversion rate of S$1 = 1.6 air miles for local spending and S$1 = 2 air miles for overseas spent.

The following are the core welcome privileges for DBS Insignia card members:

v Metal Card first in the world! (Metal plus contactless/pay-wave function)

v Club at the Hyatt membership which gives exclusive dining and accommodation privileges at Grand Hyatt Singapore and other Hyatt properties worldwide.

v Complimentary 100,000 air miles in the form of 50,000 Bonus DBS points (non-expiring) credited into main member’s card account which can be redeemed in exchange for air miles, dining and/or shopping vouchers

v Complimentary 2 nights’ stay for the principal card member at selected premium hotel properties such as Anantara Hotels & Resorts, Six Senses Resorts, COMO Hotels & Resorts, YTL Hotels, Small Luxury Hotels of the World, Taj Hotels, Resorts & Palaces, Alila Hotels & Resorts, and Banyan Tree Hotels & Resorts.

v Priority Pass membership that allows card members to enjoy complimentary access to 600 airport VIP lounges in 100 countries

v Speed Pass access for fast-track immigration

v Access to the Damai Spa (Grand Hyatt) - Relaxation with fitness classes, spa treatment, pool, gym, tennis and badminton court amenities

v Yachting privileges at One Degree 15 (Sentosa Cove) –exclusive yacht access for Insignia card members that charters minimum 4-hours on weekdays for only S$500+gst and weekends at S$800+ gst (weekends: Fri, Sat, Sun, Eve of PH and PH)

v Dedicated team of DBS Insignia Service Ambassadors, available 24 hours through a hotline especially for DBS Insignia card members to serve your lifestyle needs.

We would like to know you more, perhaps you can share with us the updated information that we can include in your profile for the invitation review:

1. Name of Company, Length of service and Designation
2. Professional achievements/roles (i.e. Chairman of Singapore Chamber of Commerce etc.)
3. Premium credit cards, cars, yacht and country club memberships (i.e. Amex Centurion, Porsche, One15 member, Exotic car club member etc.)

To proceed with the application, please furnish us with the applicable income document for invitation review:

Kindly note that all applications are subject to bank’s approval.

spk307 Jan 19, 2017 5:30 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 27784504)
Has anyone tried out the Kaligo 10 miles/$ promo via either DBS Altitude or UOB PRVI Amex?

I noticed that in the T&Cs DBS mentions that the extra points will be credited within 60 days of the end of each quarter (qualifying period). So any transactions now will have to wait for up to 60 days counting from April 1 before all points are credited.

What is UOB's stance on this? I haven't seen them post anything about the remaining points being credited well into the future. Could they be posting full points for each transaction without delay?

my friend bought from Kaligo and said points were credited in 2 days.

aster Jan 19, 2017 6:20 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 27785146)

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 27785171)
I view Kaligo as akin to - perhaps slightly over simplistically - buying miles by "overpaying".

I spent quite some time yesterday looking for a hotel, and luck had it that I found a good offer that was better than booking direct or through any of the other, popular booking engines. Hopefully there will be no surprises when I get there as this is my first booking with them, but so far so good.

Navigation-wise they could be better and a map view would have been ideal, but I take it they're a relatively new company so improvements will come with time.

Originally Posted by spk307 (Post 27786175)
my friend bought from Kaligo and said points were credited in 2 days.

It was only during the booking phase that the site mentioned that the points will be credited within 4 weeks. If I get them by this weekend that will be even better. :) The good thing is that on the site, when you look up your booking, it actually shows the UOB cards logo and a calculation of how many miles will be coming your way, so this is a nice integration between UOB and Kaligo to show that you have made the booking correctly and that the miles will follow.

10 miles/$ is huge and with the promo valid at both UOB and DBS (PRVI and Altitude respectively) until the end of the year, I just hope that it doesn't get pulled early for some reason.

On a side note I have to give praise to UOB on how they handle the Expedia 6 miles/$ promo. For some reason I was expecting the bonus miles to be credited some time down the road (I didn't read the terms beforehand), but to my surprise they were credited straight away, even before my current statement is due!

vade Jan 20, 2017 6:32 am

Originally Posted by spk307 (Post 27778901)
With most operations offshored, some banks do not hesitate to blame their offshore teams! HSBC staff squarely blamed their support team in India, even saying explicitly that their offshore team is useless. Don't they have some service agreements on turnaround times?

On customer service, I have generally found Amex, DBS and Citi to be good, in that order.

Have to give a thumbs up to DBS then. I called their customer service this afternoon to report missing points on my last statement. The CSO who answered was local (yay!), and she promised to look into it and get back to me within 3-5 days. An hour ago, she called me back saying that they did their calculations and the missing points have already been credited into my account and it would be reflected in my next statement.

This is how customer service should be ^

carrotjuice Jan 20, 2017 3:31 pm

... as opposed to Citibank. I called to cancel a credit card and to remove the GIRO arrangement that settles the full bill against my Citibank account. The CSO now says the GIRO delinkage cannot be done by phone - that I now have to write in or go visit a branch to provide a written instruction!

Absolutely ridiculous. The GIRO arrangement is between a Citibank account and a Citibank credit card, no other bank is involved. They know me as a customer. When I call, I had been authenticated through voice biometrics and a onetime PIN sent to my mobile. The phone conversation is recorded. Yet to do something so bloody basic I have to go to a branch??

No wonder people now think that banking is still needed but banks are starting to get irrelevant - and it's not just for the millennials!

demue Jan 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Well, my experiences with Citi are decent, though not stellar and I agree that they got some weird, nonsensical processes in place.

The latest one here seems that somehow, for no logical reason I can see, when they trigger a new credit card to a customer due to expiry of current validity period they now seem to block your existing, still valid CC for online POS transactions. Physical swiping of the CC still works fine, but online doesn't. I wanted to buy a SQ ticket yesterday and couldn't even though my Citi PM is still valid for two months. Reason given was that a new card with new expiry and CCV had been triggered and was pending activation. Well I haven't received it yet so how can I activate it? Then they block the online transactions of the current valid card? Nonsense. I'm now getting a new card couriered to my apartment in under 24hrs while they raise an issue with the payment processing team. Got to say, Contact Center Mgr called me back and handled it as well as he could, but still annoying and especially unnecessary.

On the other hand, one huge thumbs up for Citi to being the only bank in SIN that I know off which offers a comprehensive, line by line mileage / points earning debit / credit history. That is a big plus and while getting to that section is a bit cumbersome (too many clicks), no other bank comes close here amd it avoids a whole lot of pain like we have with UOB or even DBS when verifying or challenging points accruals.

DBS for me at least is also a mixed bag with CSRs at times talking plain rubbish not knowing processes, products, promotions or T&Cs, promised call backs are never made 50% of the time. Though on average they are still okay.

UOB and Maybank are pretty much rubbish, expect nothing and you may still get disappointed. ;)

Hardrive Jan 20, 2017 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 27794298)
offers a comprehensive, line by line mileage / points earning debit / credit history. That is a big plus and while getting to that section is a bit cumbersome (too many clicks)

Would you mind sharing how to get to this section please?

lcpteck Jan 21, 2017 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Hardrive (Post 27794584)
Would you mind sharing how to get to this section please?

You just need to go to the rewards section of the website after you login to Internet banking. It will list transaction points earned. Citibank has the most friendly system I have ever known (though sometimes needs a bit of calculation as they lump a few transactions together for bonuses).

carrotjuice Jan 21, 2017 2:27 am

Well, my experiences with Citi are decent, though not stellar and I agree that they got some weird, nonsensical processes in place.

The latest one here seems that somehow, for no logical reason I can see, when they trigger a new credit card to a customer due to expiry of current validity period they now seem to block your existing, still valid CC for online POS transactions. Physical swiping of the CC still works fine, but online doesn't. I wanted to buy a SQ ticket yesterday and couldn't even though my Citi PM is still valid for two months. Reason given was that a new card with new expiry and CCV had been triggered and was pending activation. Well I haven't received it yet so how can I activate it? Then they block the online transactions of the current valid card? Nonsense.

This is crazy.

Just to add it's not just Citibank Singapore - but HK is just as bad. Citibank HK decided that to perform online functions, users need to have a token (similar to that Citibank Singapore has been using for years). Problem is, they didn't automatically dispatch the tokens or even communicate this to their account holders!

So one day I had to make an urgent payment from my Citibank HK account. Naturally I couldn't proceed. Called their Customer Service and guess what - they advised me of this new requirement, said they'd need to take 7 to 10 business days to dispatch a token to a Singapore address!! Surely this is another basic common sense - if you need customers to use a token, then you need to give them to your customers beforehand and not wait till the customer needs to execute an urgent transaction only to be told a token will now be requested for you, which can only arrive days later even by courier.

pbl22 Jan 21, 2017 2:35 am

The latest one here seems that somehow, for no logical reason I can see, when they trigger a new credit card to a customer due to expiry of current validity period they now seem to block your existing, still valid CC for online POS transactions. Physical swiping of the CC still works fine, but online doesn't. I wanted to buy a SQ ticket yesterday and couldn't even though my Citi PM is still valid for two months. Reason given was that a new card with new expiry and CCV had been triggered and was pending activation. Well I haven't received it yet so how can I activate it? Then they block the online transactions of the current valid card? Nonsense.

My 15 month stint in Singapore is coming to an end next week and, while I love the place, these sorts of illogical, nonsensical occurrences (which seem to occur quite frequently, especially with banks) will be something I'm pleased to leave behind.