FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

tranceaty Oct 31, 2013 4:59 am

Then would it be more worth it if we spend on their Platinum card instead? I saw their conversion rate is 500 rewards points to 1000 miles. So 260 + 20 points per $100 spend is 560 miles. 5.6 miles per $1.

But I believe the conversion fee of $15 is separate from that of the travel card.

tranceaty Oct 31, 2013 5:01 am

During the mid year promo, I need to check my overseas spending amount in SGD before I can send the sms, not sure if its the same this time.

biaoism Oct 31, 2013 5:16 am

Originally Posted by xinmpg (Post 21693306)
I got this email last night too. There is also a minimum $5k minimum spend per quarter required to keep the benefits. This may even be "travel" spend, but u didn't go too deep into the fine print. Still not a bad deal for the 45k initial miles.

I did not receive this email although I'm also Asia miles member. Probably not under the invited segment. Is there a link to go to indicate interest or accept the invitation? Can someone share this link? I would like to sign up but the public offer currently is just 30k miles...

Archieflyer Oct 31, 2013 8:09 am

Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 21685855)
I've used my Maybank Horizon Platinum at 2 different IHG Hotels in Beijing. Based on the earlier pages, looks like there is no point calling Maybank to dispute this, as they will just deny responsibility and I don't have photographic proof that I have ticked off RMB.

I remember telling the hotel staff specifically that I want to be billed in RMB, and they assured me that it would be so and gave me (what I thought was) a funny look about my request. I guess it's auto DCC after the transaction went through and the staff have no idea about it at all.

The last time this happened to me, I wrote to the hotel manager instead (I think his email was on the invoice) and complained. Within the same day, they reversed the DCC'ed charge and charged again in RMB. This was the Hilton in Beijing. I do have status with Hilton but I doubt that mattered.

Given that it's an international chain like IHG, you might have better luck with having them sort it out than waiting on the banks.

percysmith Oct 31, 2013 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Archieflyer (Post 21700525)
The last time this happened to me, I wrote to the hotel manager instead (I think his email was on the invoice) and complained. Within the same day, they reversed the DCC'ed charge and charged again in RMB. This was the Hilton in Beijing. I do have status with Hilton but I doubt that mattered.

Given that it's an international chain like IHG, you might have better luck with having them sort it out than waiting on the banks.

Helps but some merchants are not that internet friendly.

carrotjuice Oct 31, 2013 9:13 am

Originally Posted by biaoism (Post 21699842)
I did not receive this email although I'm also Asia miles member. Probably not under the invited segment. Is there a link to go to indicate interest or accept the invitation? Can someone share this link? I would like to sign up but the public offer currently is just 30k miles...

The invite does say that it's for specific Asia Miles members only and not transferable, and they actually quoted my Asia Miles number on it. It says to try calling 1800 227 8811 or SMS at 74722 with AMVI < space > NAME < space > NRIC and someone will assist in the inquiries and application... YMMV so good luck!

carrotjuice Oct 31, 2013 10:14 am

One thing I don't quite understand...

ANZ Mid Year 2013 promo awards for minimum S$100 spend 260 bonus Rewards Points or 1,050 bonus Travel$, which can be used to redeem S$5 Cash Credit.

ANZ Xmas 2013 promo instead awards 260 bonus Rewards Points or 275 bonus Travel$, which can be used to redeem S$5 Cash Credit.

Implying, S$5 was equivalent to 1,050 miles previously... but now only 275 miles (based on 1 Travel$ = 1 mile)

What's the logic?

lingua101 Nov 1, 2013 1:37 am

Originally Posted by tranceaty (Post 21699807)
During the mid year promo, I need to check my overseas spending amount in SGD before I can send the sms, not sure if its the same this time.

but how you check? they have no internet banking. you need to wait for your statement right?

vsepr Nov 1, 2013 4:46 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 21701410)
One thing I don't quite understand...

ANZ Mid Year 2013 promo awards for minimum S$100 spend 260 bonus Rewards Points or 1,050 bonus Travel$, which can be used to redeem S$5 Cash Credit.

ANZ Xmas 2013 promo instead awards 260 bonus Rewards Points or 275 bonus Travel$, which can be used to redeem S$5 Cash Credit.

Implying, S$5 was equivalent to 1,050 miles previously... but now only 275 miles (based on 1 Travel$ = 1 mile)

What's the logic?

The rate has changed. At this website, it shows you need 275 miles for $5 cash credit. The cash back rate is now: $196.43 x 1.4 = $5 cash credit. Means 2.54543% cashback!!!
https://sg.anz.com/onlineapp/travel_rewards/redeem.jsp

Anyway, don't worry about the first 30,000 quota. All will get even if you SMS on 31 Dec 2013. My last SMS for the mid-year promo was on 29 June 2013 and all my 11 SMSes were awarded 1050 bonus miles each.

Savage25 Nov 1, 2013 10:20 am

So, I was looking through the HSBC Visa Infinite card benefits to try and justify whether to keep it for next year, and came across this one. What's the catch? If one was a whiskey drinker and lived within walking distance, one could drink more than the annual fee's worth of whiskey :D

Quaich Bar
• Present Visa Infinite card at the bar to enjoy the
following privileges:
- One complimentary drink of Bunnahabhain 18 years
old, per day
Waterfront Plaza, #01-09/10

carrotjuice Nov 1, 2013 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 21705948)
but how you check? they have no internet banking. you need to wait for your statement right?

Suppose you need to call. But I can appreciate this can be bothersome (and expensive) to incur roaming charges when calling from abroad. And sometimes say if you make the transaction at the end of the stipulated calendar week (Sunday) and the transaction isn't posted yet and even the FX rate the CSO sees is indicative... Alternative is to succumb to DCC and charge in SGD for your overseas transactions?

carrotjuice Nov 1, 2013 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Savage25 (Post 21708279)
So, I was looking through the HSBC Visa Infinite card benefits to try and justify whether to keep it for next year, and came across this one. What's the catch? If one was a whiskey drinker and lived within walking distance, one could drink more than the annual fee's worth of whiskey :D

Quaich Bar
• Present Visa Infinite card at the bar to enjoy the
following privileges:
- One complimentary drink of Bunnahabhain 18 years
old, per day
Waterfront Plaza, #01-09/10

I took the plunge and subscribed to the card today. Anyone wants a supplementary card with $0 credit limit and willing to share my annual fee - just to drink a year's worth of whiskey? :p

lcpteck Nov 1, 2013 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 21711761)
I took the plunge and subscribed to the card today. Anyone wants a supplementary card with $0 credit limit and willing to share my annual fee - just to drink a year's worth of whiskey? :p

I don't mind but I don't live nearby to make it worth the annual fee. :D

iggie38 Nov 1, 2013 11:13 pm

Regarding the ANZ promo, even if I spend more than $100 per receipt (ie. $300), I will still only get $275 Travel $, and not $275x3?

vsepr Nov 2, 2013 4:51 am

Originally Posted by iggie38 (Post 21712503)
Regarding the ANZ promo, even if I spend more than $100 per receipt (ie. $300), I will still only get $275 Travel $, and not $275x3?

Yes, $300 in 1 charge slip also get 275 Travel$. So its best to try to split the bill or ask the cashier to charge in multiples of $100 if you buy many items or big ticket items.