FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

tippytop123 Nov 20, 14 7:45 am

UOB has the most ridiculously terrible service out of any bank I have ever encountered (and I have dealt with quite a few).

For those of you using UOB, I strongly urge you to check your rewards points with them. After using the UOB PRVI Miles card from July 2014 to now, I realised that I was being awarded a LOT fewer points than I should have.

After calling UOB up, I wound up in a 30 minute long argument with one of their customer service officers, Violet, who insisted that my points were fewer than I thought because supplementary cardholders' spending would be awarded to THEIR OWN accounts (under their respective NRIC numbers), instead of the principal cardholder's account. She also insisted that there was nothing she or UOB could do about it.

It took 30 minutes for me to argue with this fool, and only ended when I pointed out their own FAQs (on the UOB rewards page) to her. Only then did she capitulate, and said that she would run a "check" on why the points have been credited to the supplementary cardholder's account.

Later on, I received another call from UOB. This time, to say that the supplementary cardholder's points had been correctly credited to my principal account. HOWEVER, a number of my transactions had only received reduced UNI$. For example, an $11 spend only netted me 1 UNI$ (far below the 8 UNI$ I would have been entitled to receive under the UOB PRVI Miles card).

The reason for this was that I had apparently been ENTERED INTO A LUCKY DRAW, so I would not be eligible for miles for the spend. And this was apparently repeated across MANY of my transactions.

I was shocked. I had never been informed of any such lucky draw, by email, SMS or otherwise. Up till this point, I don't even have the slightest clue what the prize is. Why would I ever give up guaranteed UNI$ and miles for a lousy CHANCE at winning a prize?

Up till now I have no resolution on this. UOB is still refusing to give me a breakdown of all the rewards points I have earned, so I have no way of ascertaining if my UNI$s have even been correctly awarded.

Separately, I made a test transaction with a particular merchant on my UOB Preferred Platinum Visa card. As I intended to repeat the transaction, I called up UOB to check that the merchant was eligible for the 10x bonus miles. The customer service officer confirmed it. I even asked him to repeat the confirmation.

Based on the confirmation, I proceeded with making other large purchases with the same merchant.

Later on, when I spoke to Violet, she informed me that as the initial test transaction had not been posted, there was no way to guarantee or ascertain that the merchant would be awarded the 10x bonus miles. Even after I pointed out that the initial customer service officer confirmed it before, she insisted.

Lastly, I signed up for their GUARANTEED same-day card delivery service on Friday. Submitted all documents at 10am, way before the cut-off time of 1pm stated on their website. UOB neglected to respond until I called them up at 2pm to insist that I needed my card. Their reply? They could "expedite" the matter for me, but my card would reach no sooner than Monday afternoon.

During this entire ordeal, one of their customer service officers promised on Friday night to call me (or have a colleague call me) on Saturday morning with a response or update. The next time I heard from UOB was Monday.

In summary:
- UOB is not a bank to be trusted.

- UOB does not have any grasp or concept of time, e.g. "same-day" or "Saturday morning".

- UOB does not have any grasp or concept of words like "GUARANTEED", words you would expect a bank to understand.

- UOB potentially engages in misleading practices like advertising that a card will give you 1.6 miles per dollar spent, but then signing you up for "lucky draws" that will negate such guaranteed mile earnings.

- UOB's customer service officers do not seem to understand how their own products work, and will tell you things like "supplementary cardholders' spending will be credited to their own accounts under their own NRIC numbers, and not the principal cardholder's account". This is very easily proven untrue. Please see the FAQs on the UOB Rewards page, or here: http://www.uob.com.sg/assets/pdfs/pe...BPRVIMILES.pdf
"For the avoidance of doubt, spending incurred by Supplementary Cardmember(s) shall
accrue to the applicable Principal Cardmember(s) only."

fern76 Nov 21, 14 12:16 am

Originally Posted by tippytop123 (Post 23870694)
UOB has the most ridiculously terrible service out of any bank I have ever encountered (and I have dealt with quite a few).

For those of you using UOB, I strongly urge you to check your rewards points with them. After using the UOB PRVI Miles card from July 2014 to now, I realised that I was being awarded a LOT fewer points than I should have.

After calling UOB up, I wound up in a 30 minute long argument with one of their customer service officers, Violet, who insisted that my points were fewer than I thought because supplementary cardholders' spending would be awarded to THEIR OWN accounts (under their respective NRIC numbers), instead of the principal cardholder's account. She also insisted that there was nothing she or UOB could do about it.

It took 30 minutes for me to argue with this fool, and only ended when I pointed out their own FAQs (on the UOB rewards page) to her. Only then did she capitulate, and said that she would run a "check" on why the points have been credited to the supplementary cardholder's account.

Later on, I received another call from UOB. This time, to say that the supplementary cardholder's points had been correctly credited to my principal account. HOWEVER, a number of my transactions had only received reduced UNI$. For example, an $11 spend only netted me 1 UNI$ (far below the 8 UNI$ I would have been entitled to receive under the UOB PRVI Miles card).

The reason for this was that I had apparently been ENTERED INTO A LUCKY DRAW, so I would not be eligible for miles for the spend. And this was apparently repeated across MANY of my transactions.

I was shocked. I had never been informed of any such lucky draw, by email, SMS or otherwise. Up till this point, I don't even have the slightest clue what the prize is. Why would I ever give up guaranteed UNI$ and miles for a lousy CHANCE at winning a prize?

Up till now I have no resolution on this. UOB is still refusing to give me a breakdown of all the rewards points I have earned, so I have no way of ascertaining if my UNI$s have even been correctly awarded.

Separately, I made a test transaction with a particular merchant on my UOB Preferred Platinum Visa card. As I intended to repeat the transaction, I called up UOB to check that the merchant was eligible for the 10x bonus miles. The customer service officer confirmed it. I even asked him to repeat the confirmation.

Based on the confirmation, I proceeded with making other large purchases with the same merchant.

Later on, when I spoke to Violet, she informed me that as the initial test transaction had not been posted, there was no way to guarantee or ascertain that the merchant would be awarded the 10x bonus miles. Even after I pointed out that the initial customer service officer confirmed it before, she insisted.

Lastly, I signed up for their GUARANTEED same-day card delivery service on Friday. Submitted all documents at 10am, way before the cut-off time of 1pm stated on their website. UOB neglected to respond until I called them up at 2pm to insist that I needed my card. Their reply? They could "expedite" the matter for me, but my card would reach no sooner than Monday afternoon.

During this entire ordeal, one of their customer service officers promised on Friday night to call me (or have a colleague call me) on Saturday morning with a response or update. The next time I heard from UOB was Monday.

In summary:
- UOB is not a bank to be trusted.

- UOB does not have any grasp or concept of time, e.g. "same-day" or "Saturday morning".

- UOB does not have any grasp or concept of words like "GUARANTEED", words you would expect a bank to understand.

- UOB potentially engages in misleading practices like advertising that a card will give you 1.6 miles per dollar spent, but then signing you up for "lucky draws" that will negate such guaranteed mile earnings.

- UOB's customer service officers do not seem to understand how their own products work, and will tell you things like "supplementary cardholders' spending will be credited to their own accounts under their own NRIC numbers, and not the principal cardholder's account". This is very easily proven untrue. Please see the FAQs on the UOB Rewards page, or here: http://www.uob.com.sg/assets/pdfs/pe...BPRVIMILES.pdf
"For the avoidance of doubt, spending incurred by Supplementary Cardmember(s) shall
accrue to the applicable Principal Cardmember(s) only."

Oh dear god, I really feel u. I have to keep such a tight check on my UOB points every month. The thought of calling them up just causes me palpitations because I know I will have to waste precious energy giving the cso a good piece of my mind. AGAIN.

I have to call them soon for my missing points and they also conveniently deducted my points for annual fee. Am gonna try to fight them for it.

I will only ever use UOB for credit cards since their miles earning ratio is good but will never park my money with them. They simple can't be trusted....

SingaporeDon Nov 21, 14 8:07 am

Originally Posted by fern76 (Post 23875032)
Oh dear god, I really feel u. I have to keep such a tight check on my UOB points every month. The thought of calling them up just causes me palpitations because I know I will have to waste precious energy giving the cso a good piece of my mind. AGAIN.

I have to call them soon for my missing points and they also conveniently deducted my points for annual fee. Am gonna try to fight them for it.

I will only ever use UOB for credit cards since their miles earning ratio is good but will never park my money with them. They simple can't be trusted....

Is there an easy way to check UNi$ earned by each transaction, or do we have to call them and ask the CSR for this information to be sent to us?

fern76 Nov 21, 14 8:45 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 23876179)
Is there an easy way to check UNi$ earned by each transaction, or do we have to call them and ask the CSR for this information to be sent to us?

I don't think there is an easy way. I actually have to go over it item by item on the phone w the cso. :confused:

If I'm lucky, I get a good cso but I have had those who say they will call back about discrepancies but never do. I have taken to asking for their full names. One day soon, I'm gonna write a stinker on the UOB fb page (if they have one) with all my grievances.

Did it to ocbc biz banking and boy did that work fast!

Whenever I feel like throwing away the UOB cards, I always remind myself that I will be grateful when I sink my bottom on that flat bed seat on a long haul flight with all my earned miles!

tippytop123 Nov 21, 14 11:52 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 23876179)

No, there isn't. Only the total UNI$ is listed in the monthly statement. Thus far, UOB is also refusing to mail me a written confirmation of the breakdown. The only way to get a breakdown is to have one of them take you through each transaction verbally over the phone.

I have kicked up a stinker and they are "looking into it" (as they are with several other of my issues listed in my earlier post).

In my first month of using the PRVI Miles card, I already noticed that the UNI$ awarded did not tally with my spending. The customer service officer I spoke to then (in July or August 2014) reassured me that the miles were coming, but that the paper statement would not reflect the updated miles awarded.

Like a fool, I took that at face value, and did not think too much about the missing miles for the next couple of months.

But, by November 2014, the discrepancy in miles got too large to ignore, and I called UOB up again - leading to that entire mess in my earlier post.

I am genuinely curious to see how many different excuses UOB can come up with for the discrepancy in miles. So far I've heard 3 different reasons - let's see if they can make it 4 by Monday! <sarcasm>

On a serious note, I'm done with this @%*&(# bank. They are completely unreliable and unaccountable for their mistakes, which are really not traits you want your bank to have.

Heaven forbid I actually open up an investment or other time-sensitive account with them. I'm just going to try and hit the next 5,000 UNI$ block, convert the miles, and then terminate every single account I have with this awful, awful bank.

yosithezet Nov 21, 14 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by SirJman (Post 23858665)
You didn't win, it was a promo, every 5 bookings = $5. They sent ours ($85) registered post which means I have to go to the bloody post office on Saturday to get it.

Oi! That's what I need to go pick up this weekend. Now I understand what it is about.

LuisHK Nov 22, 14 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by tippytop123 (Post 23877288)
No, there isn't. Only the total UNI$ is listed in the monthly statement. Thus far, UOB is also refusing to mail me a written confirmation of the breakdown. The only way to get a breakdown is to have one of them take you through each transaction verbally over the phone.

I have kicked up a stinker and they are "looking into it" (as they are with several other of my issues listed in my earlier post).

In my first month of using the PRVI Miles card, I already noticed that the UNI$ awarded did not tally with my spending. The customer service officer I spoke to then (in July or August 2014) reassured me that the miles were coming, but that the paper statement would not reflect the updated miles awarded.

Like a fool, I took that at face value, and did not think too much about the missing miles for the next couple of months.

But, by November 2014, the discrepancy in miles got too large to ignore, and I called UOB up again - leading to that entire mess in my earlier post.

I am genuinely curious to see how many different excuses UOB can come up with for the discrepancy in miles. So far I've heard 3 different reasons - let's see if they can make it 4 by Monday! <sarcasm>

On a serious note, I'm done with this @%*&(# bank. They are completely unreliable and unaccountable for their mistakes, which are really not traits you want your bank to have.

Heaven forbid I actually open up an investment or other time-sensitive account with them. I'm just going to try and hit the next 5,000 UNI$ block, convert the miles, and then terminate every single account I have with this awful, awful bank.

Let's put it this way - UOB have the most out-dated and confusing internal processes in the industry. How would you expect the staff there know what the heck they are doing?

I just can't imagine the hassle that I need to go through with the poor cso on the phone... line by line of my statement!

demue Nov 22, 14 10:50 pm

While I hear you on the pain it is for the CSRs they also need to remember that it is the banks outdated / inflexible / non-transparent overviews for points accruals that force us as customers to call and ask for clarifications. It is not like we like to do it, but are left with no choice. For a bank that touts the 10Uni$ stuff as a key differentiator over other credit cards you got to be able to give that accrual overview.

So CSRs frequently giving me attitude why I need to know and that it is surely right what has posted does not help with me feeling sorry for them. They are barking up the wrong tree. Rather switch on brain and keep funneling those complaints by customers to management. Only then may the feel the need to do something about this ridiculous situation. Snapping at the hand that feeds you is just plain shortsighted and narrow,minded.

LuisHK Nov 23, 14 2:28 am

Management don't give a crap about us customers that's why. UOB is never a go to bank of my choice! Just too frustrated handling them

tippytop123 Nov 23, 14 3:03 am

Originally Posted by fern76 (Post 23875032)

Originally Posted by LuisHK (Post 23884070)
Management don't give a crap about us customers that's why. UOB is never a go to bank of my choice! Just too frustrated handling them

Gah, I wish I had known all this before switching over to UOB. Any recommendations for a replacement bank, guys?

tranceaty Nov 23, 14 3:48 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23852621)
https://sg.anz.com/ANZPrivileges/promotion-festive/

ANZ's year end promo starts today, 17 Nov!!

Lucky draws & cashback in the form of Travel$!!

Now must charge $1000 then can get 1.8% cashback, $2500 get 2%, $5000 get 3%. 2012 & 2013 was charge $100 get $5 (5%), then 2014 change to charge $200 get $8 (4%). Now drop so much!!

Qualifying Card Spend shall exclude all brokerage/securities, transitlink, ez-link transactions and
online gaming websites as well as Paypal *Oandaasiapa, www.igmarkets.com.sg, Oanda Asia
Pacific, Saxo Cap Mkts Pte Ltd, SKR *skrill.com.

How about using ANZ platinum card on top of the 6x rewards promotion?

http://www.anz.com/resources/7/0/704...df?MOD=AJPERES

I was looking at a $1000 spend and calculated a 4.272 miles/$, provided the $1000 are all spent on the merchants listed for 6x rewards. (e.g. Fairprice)

Has anyone tried buying fairprice vouchers with ANZ platinum and do they credit the 6x rewards?

Its stated in their t&c that voucher purchases are excluded, but I wonder how the bank can differentiate the purchase...:confused:

fern76 Nov 23, 14 6:13 am

Originally Posted by tippytop123 (Post 23884114)
Gah, I wish I had known all this before switching over to UOB. Any recommendations for a replacement bank, guys?

I just signed up for the HSBC Advance visa. It supposedly gives 4 miles /dollar for restaurants and online spend. I can't verify that as I'm still waiting for the card.

Having said that, HSBC also seems to have their own set of problems. Rm never followed up on my account opening with the account number and cc office called me to say I was approved on a completely different card. Sigh.

I bank wih OCBC. They aren't great but it's out of convenience as I have a branch next to my home and my office.

Devil and deep blue sea. I don't ever remember so much trouble with banks and their inefficient ways 10 years ago. Service standards in sg have generally degenerated beyond hope...

fern76 Nov 23, 14 6:34 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 23883643)
While I hear you on the pain it is for the CSRs they also need to remember that it is the banks outdated / inflexible / non-transparent overviews for points accruals that force us as customers to call and ask for clarifications. It is not like we like to do it, but are left with no choice. For a bank that touts the 10Uni$ stuff as a key differentiator over other credit cards you got to be able to give that accrual overview.

So CSRs frequently giving me attitude why I need to know and that it is surely right what has posted does not help with me feeling sorry for them. They are barking up the wrong tree. Rather switch on brain and keep funneling those complaints by customers to management. Only then may the feel the need to do something about this ridiculous situation. Snapping at the hand that feeds you is just plain shortsighted and narrow,minded.

Yes, I do agree. I always tell the CSOs I'm not out to give them trouble but that it is their job to ensure customers get what they have been promised. The UOB cards are my main cards so I do spend a lot of them. It's just so unfair to withhold the UNI$ without good reason.

If the CSOs can't take the heat, they need to get out of the kitchen. Or as Demue says, keep funneling complaints to management. I'm not sure it helps, UOB seems to have their own set of rules. There should be a more useful consumer association in sg to deal with these rogue banks!

demue Nov 23, 14 9:53 am

You are right, UOB doesn't really know what customer focus means. Anyways, I would never bank with them and only hold a PPV card at the moment as my restaurant spend is not huge and the 50k spend to make Privi Amex worth it is tough with selective 4mls/$ spend cards. So it is a bit easier for me to keep track of things and if one day Fairprice or Redmart go away as 10Uni$ eligible places the card goes straight into the drawer.

Alas it is not a perfect world. Otherwise it would be too easy for the regular folks to replicate our efforts ;)

elliotng Nov 23, 14 7:59 pm

Sorry - off topic from UOB. Has anyone used the Citibank Rewards Card at Central Department Stores in Bangkok to get the 10x rewards? Just want to be sure that the MCC is that of 'Department Stores'. ;)