FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

hclee01 Oct 19, 13 9:27 am

Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 21626334)
Uh oh. I just used my Maybank card for quite a few transactions in Beijing, and in all the transactions, I have cancelled the SGD amount and tick off the RMB amount.

:(

Will have to see when I receive my CC statement.

I have just used my Visa card last week in Shanghai. I have ticked off RMB and in the end, when I log to the Internet Banking to check, it is billed in SGD without the RMB amount indicated. :(

stiwi Oct 19, 13 10:50 am

Originally Posted by hclee01 (Post 21633699)
I have just used my Visa card last week in Shanghai. I have ticked off RMB and in the end, when I log to the Internet Banking to check, it is billed in SGD without the RMB amount indicated. :(

I have noticed that ticking off respective currency AFTER the slip was printed is completely ignored. I had this case too. I would be surprised actually to see this working, it would mean that someone goes through all the slips and change the currency which is simply impossible.

percysmith Oct 19, 13 11:01 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by stiwi

Originally Posted by hclee01 (Post 21633699)

I have noticed that ticking off respective currency AFTER the slip was printed is completely ignored. I had this case too. I would be surprised actually to see this working, it would mean that someone goes through all the slips and change the currency which is simply impossible.

In places where ticking works, the PoS should stop to take the choice and a verbage-free receipt should be produced after (or verbage to the effect you have not chosen DCC and Visa/MC will perform the translation). However I've only seen this in Taiwan.

In most other places I have not been presented with ticking - in Thailand, Korea, UK and France the selection is taken verbally, prior to merchant or customer slip being printed. The cashier keys in the choice.

I'm heading again to Europe soon - Italy and Spain this time. As SO plans to do some serious retail therapy and we have a bank offering 6% on all overseas transactions (must be Visa - DCC okay but we save more by avoiding that) we plan to bellow "EURO! EURO!" every time the card is presented. I already made a demonstration at the cab rank from the concert we were attending which freaked the three people in front.

stiwi Oct 19, 13 2:08 pm

New card on the market, Citi PM Amex:

Earn more Citi Miles with every purchase
- Earn 2.5 Citi Miles for every S$1 spent on Singapore Airlines, SilkAir,
KrisShop or Tradewinds Tours & Travel
- Earn 2 Citi Miles for every S$1 spent overseas
- Earn 1.4 Citi Miles every S$1 spent locally
Renewal bonus of 15,000 Citi Miles every year upon payment of the annual card fee

Promo:
http://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/credi...romotions1.jpg

http://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/credi...Code=SGCPMLNAV

chrispstan Oct 19, 13 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by stiwi (Post 21634862)
New card on the market, Citi PM Amex:

First year free. Subequently, $267.50 for renewal but comes with 15,000 Citi miles.

Not a game changer - earnings rate for most transactions still poorer compared to the UOB PRVI Miles card. Except for SIA-related transactions (goodbye Amex Ascend).

What's interesting is that Citi has quietly added new FFP partners in its rewards catalogue - new entrants include Etihad, EVA, Malaysia Airlines and Garuda.

Called the Citi hotline - no change to current terms for the Citi PM Visa card except that miles can now be transferred to the new FFPs as well. Visa card will however not be open to new applicants which suggests that Citi will do nothing to enhance its offerings.

Awesom Andy Oct 19, 13 7:12 pm

The Citi PM visa didn't have the best earn rates, but had the advantage of being a visa card which makes it reasonable among some other offerings. Now that they've killed it, made it Amex, and the earn rates are not as good as other cards currently on the market, unless you spend a serious load of money with SIA. (Noting that SIA online spends would earn 4 miles per $ with other cards, up to a certain limit each month). So the way I see it, it is a game changer - Citi is getting out of the market. There are only 2 reasons to get this card in Amex version. 1. You spend tons of money on SIA (not many of us) 2. You need to credit miles in one of the other FFP (not many of us either).

vsepr Oct 19, 13 7:50 pm

You can keep both the Citi PM VISA and AMEX version.

BUT you cannot use the AMEX version at AXS machines to pay bills, that's where you need it for insurance premiums payment like Great Eastern Life.

Don't use this card for foreign transactions, I'm sure the admin fees are very high, just like UOB PRVI AMEX.

Note that miles cannot be transferred to Asia Miles!!

https://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/cred...Code=SGCPMLNAV

Marsy Oct 19, 13 8:28 pm

what's the t&c for the 20% more bonus? I cannot seem to open the t&c link.

I guess the flexibility of citi miles is about converting to non KF miles. Generally Asia miles / Delta miles values more compared to SQ

stiwi Oct 19, 13 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 21635908)
[...]
Don't use this card for foreign transactions, I'm sure the admin fees are very high, just like UOB PRVI AMEX.
[...]

FX fee on Amex Citi PM is 3.3%.

vsepr Oct 19, 13 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by stiwi (Post 21636319)
FX fee on Amex Citi PM is 3.3%.

WOW!! That's very high!! Card transactions effected in foreign currencies which are processed by American Express will be subject to an administrative fee of up to 3.3% on the converted Singapore dollar amount, of which up to 1.5% will be retained by American Express.

It's really a very bad idea to launch the Citi PM AMEX card. 1.4miles/S$1, I can use ANZ Travel card. VISA somemore.

2 miles/S$1 for overseas charges same rate as the Citi PM VISA card! Worse is, I cannot use it to pay bills at AXS machines!! And no Asia Miles conversion!!

1 more thing: Citibank awards points to the nearest $, ignore cents. If charge S$19.90, ANZ Travel card gets: 19.9x1.4=27.86=27 miles. Citi PM AMEX card gets: 19x1.4=26.6 miles.

And if you have both the VISA and AMEX version, you Citi Miles are in separate accounts and not combined. Hence you have to pay the S$25 admin fee twice!!

Conclusion: Not a good card!! ANZ Travel card wins hands down!!

lingua101 Oct 19, 13 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 21636335)
WOW!! That's very high!!

It's really a very bad idea to launch the Citi PM AMEX card. 1.4miles/S$1, I can use ANZ Travel card. VISA somemore.

2 miles/S$1 for overseas charges same rate as the Citi PM VISA card! Worse is, I cannot use it to pay bills at AXS machines!! And no Asia Miles conversion!!

1 more thing: Citibank awards points to the nearest $, ignore cents. If charge S$19.90, ANZ Travel card gets: 19.9x1.4=27.86=27 miles. Citi PM AMEX card gets: 19x1.4=26.6 miles.

And if you have both the VISA and AMEX version, you Citi Miles are in separate accounts and not combined. Hence you have to pay the S$25 admin fee twice!!

Conclusion: Not a good card!! ANZ Travel card wins hands down!!

But ANZ service is lousy. I paid for the annual fee and 2 statements already still hav not shown my bonus point.

This card is good to be used in China. No need to worry about local currency.

I will get this card. What is the fastest way to get it

luv_flying Oct 19, 13 11:33 pm

Pros and cons. ANZ many times award bonus miles manually and I have to take special effort to monitor the bill. Citi PM on the other hand is much easier given they have online banking and it makes redemption very easy. Let's hope they don't kill the visa signature.

It is quite weird that recently they just up the miles conversion rate for Asia miles but decided take it down for another card? By the way, can I check how do you confirm that Citi miles cannot be combined? If can combine, it means it is quite good to own this card, don't you agree?

luv_flying Oct 19, 13 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by chrispstan (Post 21635618)

Not a game changer - earnings rate for most transactions still poorer compared to the UOB PRVI Miles card. Except for SIA-related transactions (goodbye Amex Ascend).

I got turn off by UOB cards because the redemption is in block of 10K miles. DBS is worse with 20K miles and there is a chance that UOB will follow.

vsepr Oct 20, 13 12:10 am

Originally Posted by luv_flying (Post 21636490)
Pros and cons. ANZ many times award bonus miles manually and I have to take special effort to monitor the bill. Citi PM on the other hand is much easier given they have online banking and it makes redemption very easy. Let's hope they don't kill the visa signature.

It is quite weird that recently they just up the miles conversion rate for Asia miles but decided take it down for another card? By the way, can I check how do you confirm that Citi miles cannot be combined? If can combine, it means it is quite good to own this card, don't you agree?

I called up the call centre twice and ask if I have both Citi PM VISA & AMEX, can I save on the S$25 transfer fee by asking them to transfer the Citi Miles from 1 card to the other and make the transfer once. They said "NO", cos the Citi Miles is in individual card. Only the CitiDollars cards like Clear and Rewards Card can transfer from 1 card to another and make a redemption by calling them.

luv_flying Oct 20, 13 12:21 am

Think I hold on first.