FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

carrotjuice Nov 2, 2013 5:29 am

Originally Posted by iggie38 (Post 21712503)
Regarding the ANZ promo, even if I spend more than $100 per receipt (ie. $300), I will still only get $275 Travel $, and not $275x3?

Indeed. If you refer to the full terms and conditions:

3.2 Cardmembers will only be entitled to claim one Cash Credit per eligible spend, regardless of amount charged on each receipt.

unitedinsg Nov 2, 2013 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 21706423)
The rate has changed. At this website, it shows you need 275 miles for $5 cash credit. The cash back rate is now: $196.43 x 1.4 = $5 cash credit. Means 2.54543% cashback!!!
https://sg.anz.com/onlineapp/travel_rewards/redeem.jsp

Anyway, don't worry about the first 30,000 quota. All will get even if you SMS on 31 Dec 2013. My last SMS for the mid-year promo was on 29 June 2013 and all my 11 SMSes were awarded 1050 bonus miles each.

This will mean cash conversion is the better option for ANZ travel card for this promotion.

$100 = 275 + 140.

Converting to cash ~ $7.50. Which means a 7.5% cash back. Better than 10x anything. :D

xinmpg Nov 3, 2013 4:16 am

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 21699366)
They used to set $2xx,000 annual income. But I think they have lower that down to unknown number. I have that card for 2 years now and this end of November will begin my 3rd years.

BTW, they have created the website for this card.

The last time they sent me an invitation in the regular mail (about 18 months ago), it was down to S$120,000/yr. The new offer via email does not contain the terms and conditions, and the PDF I found doesn't mention it either:
http://www.hsbc.com.sg/1/PA_ES_Conte...sbcvi_tncs.pdf

It does give full details on quarterly minimum spend, and annual minimum spend required for higher point values in the subsequent year.

xinmpg Nov 3, 2013 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Savage25 (Post 21708279)
So, I was looking through the HSBC Visa Infinite card benefits to try and justify whether to keep it for next year, and came across this one. What's the catch? If one was a whiskey drinker and lived within walking distance, one could drink more than the annual fee's worth of whiskey :D

Quaich Bar
• Present Visa Infinite card at the bar to enjoy the
following privileges:
- One complimentary drink of Bunnahabhain 18 years
old, per day
Waterfront Plaza, #01-09/10

I suspect that is also subject to the quarterly minimum spend that everything else also is? They're probably also banking on anyone drinking a whiskey a day forgetting to pay their bill during the grace period and making it back in interest charges? :D

carrotjuice Nov 3, 2013 5:24 am

Originally Posted by xinmpg (Post 21718108)
I suspect that is also subject to the quarterly minimum spend that everything else also is? They're probably also banking on anyone drinking a whiskey a day forgetting to pay their bill during the grace period and making it back in interest charges? :D

Don't think so. The S$5,000 quarterly spend is requirement only for using airport related services tied to the card. Per the email invite:

Unlimited access, Infinite luxury

Infinite Travel and Lifestyle Butlers to take care of your every need
One-way limousine transfer to the airport*
Private check-in service at JetQuay Terminal*
Access to over 600 VIP airport lounges globally, for supplementary cardholders as well
Expedited immigration clearance in major airports within Asia*
Travel accident coverage of up to USD2 million
Emergency travel and medical assistance coverage of up to SGD100,000

*Terms and conditions apply for the International Airport VIP services. Cardholders must charge a minimum of SGD5,000 in eligible purchases during each qualifying quarter.

carrotjuice Nov 4, 2013 5:36 am

Received a DBS Altitude Visa mailer today that basically removes the 1.6 miles per $1 for monthly spends > $2K (thus all local spends earn 1.2 miles per $1) but 'enhances' foreign spends with 2 miles per $1. Robbing Peter to pay Paul... and making it identical to Citi Prem Miles Visa. Effective 1 Dec.

Reinforcing again the uselessness of this card... :td:

OP - you may want to revise your first post.

percysmith Nov 4, 2013 7:13 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Received a DBS Altitude Visa mailer today that basically removes the 1.6 miles per $1 for monthly spends > $2K (thus all local spends earn 1.2 miles per $1) but 'enhances' foreign spends with 2 miles per $1. Robbing Peter to pay Paul... and making it identical to Citi Prem Miles Visa. Effective 1 Dec.

Is this devaluation effective for all DBS Altitude cards?

aster Nov 4, 2013 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 21723344)

Yes, I will be updating the first post in this thread to reflect this shortly.

This really changes the game here and no longer makes the Altitude a must-have piece of plastic in one's wallet.

I think we need to start thinking of a replacement card for this when it comes to a general-use Visa/MC CC to have for everyday, local stuff. I think quite possibly the best choice out there could be the ANZ Travel Visa with its 1.4 miles/$ ratio and no rounding down of transactions (not even to the nearest Dollar). Plus it gives 2.8 miles for airfare purchases (plus some other transactions) which is a welcome addition.

For those here who use this card, are you happy with it? Would you recommend it to others? No issues getting miles posted correctly and on time?

percysmith Nov 5, 2013 12:57 am

Is this change effective for DBS Altitude Amex cards also (are there still any?)?

DBS HK is also trying to migrate DBS HK Black Amex to World MCs...I wonder will they also conduct a similar devaluation once a substantial amount of old DBS Black Amex customers have been changed over.

vsepr Nov 5, 2013 4:23 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21729112)
Yes, I will be updating the first post in this thread to reflect this shortly.

This really changes the game here and no longer makes the Altitude a must-have piece of plastic in one's wallet.

I think we need to start thinking of a replacement card for this when it comes to a general-use Visa/MC CC to have for everyday, local stuff. I think quite possibly the best choice out there could be the ANZ Travel Visa with its 1.4 miles/$ ratio and no rounding down of transactions (not even to the nearest Dollar). Plus it gives 2.8 miles for airfare purchases (plus some other transactions) which is a welcome addition.

For those here who use this card, are you happy with it? Would you recommend it to others? No issues getting miles posted correctly and on time?

ANZ Travel Card is the BEST card!!

1. Earns miles for every S$1 spent, not every S$5 spent. Better if take the cents part into calculation before rounding off the miles.

2. All merchants accepts the card like Polyclinics, SP Services, VBOX, Subway, McDonald's, Popeyes, hence VISA/MasterCard is preferred.

3. No need to create huge blocks of miles to transfer. In blocks of 1000 miles is still acceptable. Blocks of 10000 & 20000 miles is NOT. Takes about 5 working days to transfer to Asia Miles.

4. Earns 5% rebates for EZ-Link and Grocery at Cold Storage & Giant + FREE Limo ride to airport for charging >S$1500 a month, it's a bonus!

5. At least 2 frequent flyer programs to transfer.

6. 5 years validity for the miles earned is acceptable. If no expiry is better but not essential. But if it expires every June or December the same year like for Maybank Horizon VISA if you are not a Rewards Infinite member and every 2 years for UOB PRVI Miles is NOT.

7. FREE conversion to KrisFlyer & Asia Miles. (Offset from cashback earned from EZ-Link & Grocery rebate)

aster Nov 5, 2013 6:47 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 21729324)
Is this change effective for DBS Altitude Amex cards also (are there still any?)?

DBS HK is also trying to migrate DBS HK Black Amex to World MCs...I wonder will they also conduct a similar devaluation once a substantial amount of old DBS Black Amex customers have been changed over.

The letter I received made no specific mention to distinguish between Amex and Visa. It simply uses the phrase "DBS Altitude Card." :)

I have both cards so I am assuming they will both be affected. In light of this both supplementary cards will be cancelled and the main ones will be put in a drawer where they will collect cheap miles for their annual renewal fees.

Simply put I do not see the point of holding onto them any more if there are clearly better cards around like the ANZ one.

@:-) There is also another issue I'd like to touch and do a bigger write-up about (though it must have been mentioned already) which I'm sure many of you will find interesting. :-: What would you say about 4 miles/$ for all spend, regardless of whether you tap or sign (no more checking for contactless terminals), with no rounding down (only limitation is single transaction must be <$1000)? Pretty decent for everyday use, right? ^

aster Nov 5, 2013 6:57 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 21729825)
ANZ Travel Card is the BEST card!!

1. Earns miles for every S$1 spent, not every S$5 spent. Better if take the cents part into calculation before rounding off the miles.

We used to disagree about the PM card, but now we certainly agree that ANZ might have one of the best cards out there. :)

Do they still multiply the entire charge by 1.4, including cents, or do they now round down to the nearest dollar?

tranceaty Nov 5, 2013 7:01 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21730310)
The letter I received made no specific mention to distinguish between Amex and Visa. It simply uses the phrase "DBS Altitude Card." :)

I have both cards so I am assuming they will both be affected. In light of this both supplementary cards will be cancelled and the main ones will be put in a drawer where they will collect cheap miles for their annual renewal fees.

Simply put I do not see the point of holding onto them any more if there are clearly better cards around like the ANZ one.

@:-) There is also another issue I'd like to touch and do a bigger write-up about (though it must have been mentioned already) which I'm sure many of you will find interesting. :-: What would you say about 4 miles/$ for all spend, regardless of whether you tap or sign (no more checking for contactless terminals), with no rounding down (only limitation is single transaction must be <$1000)? Pretty decent for everyday use, right? ^

I have been getting 4 miles/$ since recently. Its great! Its the reason why I chose to 'neglect' my anz travel card, and focus on my UOB PPV. I'll only use ANZ now when I make purchase of more than $1k.

tranceaty Nov 5, 2013 7:04 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21730365)
We used to disagree about the PM card, but now we certainly agree that ANZ might have one of the best cards out there. :)

Do they still multiply the entire charge by 1.4, including cents, or do they now round down to the nearest dollar?

What I understand is they will multiply the full amount (including cents) by 1.4 and then subsequently round down to a whole number. So you just need to spend min $0.72 to get 1 travel$.

carrotjuice Nov 5, 2013 7:09 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21730310)

Is it issued by Aster Bank Limited? If so sign me up immediately! :D