FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

aster Nov 8, 2013 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 21747812)
By the way, it is the 2nd time that I check my UOB statement (PRVI + PPV) in details by calculating the number of UNI for each transaction. It is just never correct, last month they agreed to give me back manually some 8000 points. This month, I can see that 600 points are missing. I cannot stand this bank...

That's why I prefer to do a big top-up every so often to a prepaid Imagine card and use that for all day-to-day transactions. Saves the hassle of having to check all these transactions to find where the miles went missing.

aster Nov 8, 2013 1:06 am

Originally Posted by SgFred (Post 21747928)
I am afraid UOB is going to change rules if too many people use it like aster.

All my transactions are either online or via Paywave when using this card. I am sure almost everyone here uses it in exactly the same way, with no signed transactions done with this card. Question is how does UOB make money from this card. Is it really profitable to them if they give out 4 miles/$ for all transactions?

Technically if I do a $900 top-up to a prepaid card or spend $900 at the online Apple store it should be the same to them, right?

percysmith Nov 8, 2013 2:52 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21748572)
All my transactions are either online or via Paywave when using this card. I am sure almost everyone here uses it in exactly the same way, with no signed transactions done with this card. Question is how does UOB make money from this card. Is it really profitable to them if they give out 4 miles/$ for all transactions?

Technically if I do a $900 top-up to a prepaid card or spend $900 at the online Apple store it should be the same to them, right?

Same as our CCB eye http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=8779 but we're only getting half the miles you guys are getting (HK$3/mile --> S$2 per S$). Our HK$3/mile cuts out on 31 December 2013. Guess they're hoping we continue to use the card thereafter.

aster Nov 8, 2013 9:13 pm

For those who use the ANZ Travel Visa, have you also become account-holders at the bank? Or are you just using their CC?

Can you check your end-on-month statement or current points balance online (I know you cannot check mid-month transactions)?

Clneosg Nov 8, 2013 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21744477)
Yes, unlike the DBS Woman's World MC, full points are added straight away once the transaction has been posted (approx. 2 days later).

Both cards not only have websites where you can log in and check balances/transactions/top-up/etc. but they also have their own iphone apps. For the web sites just go to:

http://www.imaginecard.com.sg/
https://prepaidmastercard.m1.com.sg/...1loginindex.do

The Imagine card has a more sophisticated web site, though once logged-in the interface is similar in design. The Imagine one works on all browsers and is trouble-free. It also creates a login for you (your email address) so you can access the site (and the app) using just this and your password. The M1 site is a bit dodgy. No luck with it in Firefox - your best bet is Chrome if you want to top-up online and all. Both the site and the iphone app require you to log in with the full card number each time (along with password and CVV number), so unlike the Imagine card you will have to whip out the card each time or cut&paste the card number from somewhere.

Here are a few tips to save you guys some time:

- Imagine card is more trouble-free when it comes to the site/app. I know I have mentioned this before, but it really does matter. :)
- When you register your M1 card, do so via the iphone app. I have personally been unable to go through the registration process with three different browsers (haven't tried IE as I use a Mac).
- When using the M1 card using Chrome, you must enable popups. When you try to topup and nothing happens, look towards the top-right corner of the screen to see info about a popup that has just been blocked. Even if you allow them in general the browser still seems to block them at this point (maybe because URLs change to external ones).
- Remember to spend at least $100 each month on the Imagine card to get your 5% rebate.

Personally I aim to make the Imagine card my main one and will only use the M1 card where Amex is not accepted or for some reason the card doesn't work (hasn't happened yet). Imagine card also looks a lot more professional, and has embossed numbers like a real CC. In fact it looks more "upscale" than all my current CCs even though it's a debit card. The M1 card has numbers that are printed, not embossed, so it's completely flat and doesn't look as savvy. ;)

Last but not least... ENJOY! ^ This really makes tracking your points a whole lot easier if you only have a few transactions each month to check up on (all top-ups) and not your everyday stuff. The top-ups are now the points-generating spend, not your normal transactions. Plus no more worrying about rounding down either. :-:

Imagine card 5% rebate is only till feb 2014 and limited to max of $5 rebate cap per month so what is the use??

aster Nov 8, 2013 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Clneosg (Post 21753678)
Imagine card 5% rebate is only till feb 2014 and limited to max of $5 rebate cap per month so what is the use??

The most important use of this card is topping it up and getting 4 miles/$ for doing so.

The rebate on top of these huge miles isn't that useful. It basically means the card is free as soon as you spend $100 on it because the rebate will reimburse you the card cost.

Aeran Nov 8, 2013 11:16 pm

Thanks Aster for all of the tips and advice! Got the M1 MasterCard last night and ordered the AMEX Imagine online. I echo Aster's opinion on the M1 website for topping up - it took quite a few times to get the top-up to work via Chrome (check for the pop-up in the top-right as he mentioned), and using FireFox or Safari was hopeless. Hope they improve the login system with just a username/password as well.

Had a question to those who have either card - how long does it take for a top-up transaction to appear on the card? I credited $500 into my M1 MasterCard online last night and it still hasn't posted (checked both site & app). However, the failed transaction (due to insufficient funds as the top-up hadn't credited) that I tried to perform 10 mins after topping up showed on the website/app's transaction history almost immediately. Just wondering how far in advance we should plan on topping up for those funds to be available - hopefully the AMEX is faster.

These cards will make spending infinitely less troublesome for those obsessed with always getting the max returns - I can't describe the disappointment when a $500+ dinner bill comes and they don't accept AMEX :P Fingers crossed UOB doesn't change its T&Cs!

Volasia Nov 9, 2013 1:01 am

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

In my experience, the m1 top-up is posted instantly.

Aeran Nov 9, 2013 1:24 am

Thanks Fly-Swiss for the information. I just tried topping up the M1 PMC with $80 more and it posted instantly, so I guess there typically isn't a lag. Great that it's immediate!

Guess I'll need to follow up with EZ-Link to figure out why my $500 top-up last night hasn't posted yet (I completed the SMS-OTP and got a successful transaction page / reference # / approval code / etc that time as well).

chrispstan Nov 9, 2013 1:40 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21753543)
For those who use the ANZ Travel Visa, have you also become account-holders at the bank? Or are you just using their CC?

Can you check your end-on-month statement or current points balance online (I know you cannot check mid-month transactions)?

ANZ is really third world when it comes to Internet banking. The only credit card information you can get online is your latest statement. The list of transactions and number of points/Travel$. Nothing else - no prior statements and definitely no transactions since last statement. So, no way of knowing if a transaction has been posted; if its forex, what the S$ amount is, etc.

If not for the fact that the ANZ credit cards give decent earn rates, I would have ditched them long ago ....

aster Nov 9, 2013 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Aeran (Post 21753806)
Thanks Aster for all of the tips and advice! Got the M1 MasterCard last night and ordered the AMEX Imagine online.

You can also get the Imagine card at Transit Link offices: http://www.transitlink.com.sg/PSdeta...x?ty=art&Id=24

At present the best place to pick up both cards is Somerset 313 as the M1 store there sells them (plus it's a less-busy outlet so you can usually just walk straight up and get one) and there is also a Transit Link office close to the MRT gates.

aster Nov 9, 2013 4:33 am

Originally Posted by chrispstan (Post 21754085)
ANZ is really third world when it comes to Internet banking. The only credit card information you can get online is your latest statement. The list of transactions and number of points/Travel$. Nothing else - no prior statements and definitely no transactions since last statement. So, no way of knowing if a transaction has been posted; if its forex, what the S$ amount is, etc.

If not for the fact that the ANZ credit cards give decent earn rates, I would have ditched them long ago ....

Thanks for the info. Can I still check my last statement online if I only have a CC but no bank account with them?

lcpteck Nov 9, 2013 9:06 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21754401)
Thanks for the info. Can I still check my last statement online if I only have a CC but no bank account with them?

I do not think so, unless they upgraded. Last time I checked, Internet banking is only for bank account holders, not CC holders.

lingua101 Nov 9, 2013 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21754399)
You can also get the Imagine card at Transit Link offices: http://www.transitlink.com.sg/PSdeta...x?ty=art&Id=24

At present the best place to pick up both cards is Somerset 313 as the M1 store there sells them (plus it's a less-busy outlet so you can usually just walk straight up and get one) and there is also a Transit Link office close to the MRT gates.

You mean get the image card from Transitlink office at Somerset MRT station or M1 shop?

aster Nov 9, 2013 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 21757230)
You mean get the image card from Transitlink office at Somerset MRT station or M1 shop?

Both at Somerset 313:

1. Imagine Amex at Transit Link office
2. M1 MC at the M1 shop