FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

Marsy Oct 20, 13 9:06 pm


Originally Posted by kaysquare (Post 21640268)
Yikes! No Amex from Citibank please! DBS issued an Amex card only to come up with the Visa version not too long later.

No other benefits I see from getting this card over the Visa PremierMiles one.

And I so dooo hooopppee for an SPG co brand card.

SPG card ftw!

LuisHK Oct 20, 13 9:21 pm

Looking across the boarder I can see Citi Malaysia is offering both Visa and Amex versions, Then again, they do things differently depending on your location.


Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 21640285)
There is NO PERFECT card anyway. Choose the card that suits you most.

For me, these are important:

1. Earns miles for every S$1 spent, not every S$5 spent. Better if take the cents part into calculation before rounding off the miles.

2. All merchants accepts the card like SP Services, VBOX, Subway, McDonald's, Popeyes, hence VISA/MasterCard is preferred.

3. No need to create huge blocks of miles to transfer. In blocks of 1000 miles is still acceptable. Blocks of 10000 & 20000 miles is NOT.

4. If gives 5% rebates for EZ-Link and Grocery at Cold Storage & Giant + FREE Limo ride for charging >S$1500 a month, it's a bonus!

5. At least 2 frequent flyer programs to transfer.

=> ANZ Travel Cards suits me best!!

Citi PremierMiles VISA I use at AXS machines for insurance premiums payment and overseas transactions. Citi Rewards, Clear and Platinum for their 5x and 10x bonus points at the various merchants like department stores, NTUC supermarkets, Sheng Siong, Starbucks. The miles go to Delta Skymiles, KrisFlyer or Asia Miles.

For the new Citi PM AMEX, just apply for another FREE Priority Pass card!! Don't intend to use.

I'm not sure about your spending patterns, but splitting miles earning over so many cards will hurt when you have to pay the conversion fees I reckon?

ANZ sounds like a really good deal, new 2000 miles is easy to get, renewal bonus is even a better deal than Citi.

How ironic, as a user for Citi PM Visa for years, their new product had triggered me to consider moving to their competitor:eek:


Originally Posted by Marsy (Post 21640338)
SPG card ftw!

Even if they come out with SPG co-brand Amex, it also depends on the terms of offer!
SG Credit cards are known to be very unrewarding. :(

vsepr Oct 20, 13 9:25 pm


Originally Posted by luv_flying (Post 21636490)
Pros and cons. ANZ many times award bonus miles manually and I have to take special effort to monitor the bill. Citi PM on the other hand is much easier given they have online banking and it makes redemption very easy. Let's hope they don't kill the visa signature.

It is quite weird that recently they just up the miles conversion rate for Asia miles but decided take it down for another card? By the way, can I check how do you confirm that Citi miles cannot be combined? If can combine, it means it is quite good to own this card, don't you agree?

http://www.citibank.com.sg/global_do...c_rwds_tnc.pdf

From point 3.7: If a cardmember has more than 1 card, Citi Dollars earned on all card accounts may be aggregated for purposes of redemption of Rewards.

If you have both the AMEX and VISA Citi PM, you can argue with the Citiphone officer using point 3.7, because they are the same rewards type, hence Citi Miles should be able to combine and transfer to FFPs by asking them to transfer to 1 card first.

vsepr Oct 20, 13 9:29 pm


Originally Posted by LuisHK (Post 21640398)
Looking across the boarder I can see Citi Malaysia is offering both Visa and Amex versions, Then again, they do things differently depending on your location.



I'm not sure about your spending patterns, but splitting miles earning over so many cards will hurt when you have to pay the conversion fees I reckon?

ANZ sounds like a really good deal, new 2000 miles is easy to get, renewal bonus is even a better deal than Citi.

How ironic, as a user for Citi PM Visa for years, their new product had triggered me to consider moving to their competitor:eek:



Even if they come out with SPG co-brand Amex, it also depends on the terms of offer!
SG Credit cards are known to be very unrewarding. :(

Yes. I pay the $25 conversion fee at least 3 times. 1 for ANZ Travel Card, 1 for Citi PM VISA and other for CitiDollars card (Clear, Rewards, Platinum). I will ask the Citiphone officer to transfer the CitiDollars to from the other 2 cards to 1 card first, after that make the transfer.

Usually I only make 1 or maximum 2 transfers, hence pay maximum S$50 a year. So its still manageable.

Think of it this way: I use the 5% rebates earned from the ANZ Travel Card through EZ-Link and Grocery to offset the S$25 transfer fee. End up I do not need to pay the S$25 admin fee from my pocket!!

Every month I earn about S$7 rebate from EZ-Link and S$15 from Grocery. In 1 year, I earn about S$264 cash rebates. Hence making 1 or 2 transfers a year is really not a problem.

vsepr Oct 20, 13 9:46 pm


Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 21607534)
It only makes sense if you redeem for high-value tickets (eg business/first class). It's pretty much a definite loss if it's used for Y.

Absolutely correct!! It's really not worth the effort to accumulate so much miles to redeem Economy Class tickets, unless its a 1 way ticket on 2 or more airlines!! Especially when you have to pay the HIGH Fuel surcharge!!!

Many people still insists on redeeming round trip Economy Class tickets on 1 single airline when there are so many cheap airfare promotions. After deducting the HIGH Fuel surcharge you need to pay and S$25 transfer fee, end up you only save a few hundred dollars!!

lcpteck Oct 20, 13 10:04 pm


Originally Posted by kaysquare (Post 21640268)
And I so dooo hooopppee for an SPG co brand card.

Hear hear! Japan is the first Asian country to get it. Let's pray it comes to Singapore. /pray

lcpteck Oct 20, 13 10:06 pm


Originally Posted by Marsy (Post 21640338)
SPG card ftw!

Hear hear again! :D

lcpteck Oct 20, 13 10:08 pm


Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 21640496)
Absolutely correct!! It's really not worth the effort to accumulate so much miles to redeem Economy Class tickets, unless its a 1 way ticket on 2 or more airlines!! Especially when you have to pay the HIGH Fuel surcharge!!!

Many people still insists on redeeming round trip Economy Class tickets on 1 single airline when there are so many cheap airfare promotions. After deducting the HIGH Fuel surcharge you need to pay and S$25 transfer fee, end up you only save a few hundred dollars!!

It could be they do not have enough mileage to get the higher class flares. So instead of letting the miles expire, they redeemed the economy fares. Just my guess.

lcpteck Oct 20, 13 10:12 pm


Originally Posted by Marsy (Post 21637117)
Thanks!

So that's only bonus for S$5000. Not really much.

Yeah that's very little for S$5k spending.

vsepr Oct 20, 13 10:34 pm

BIG DISCOVERY!!!

For EVA Air's Infinity MileageLands now that the miles & points can be transferred from Citibank cards, for itineraries within Asia, like SIN-Korea/Japan, you only need 50,000 miles in Business Class!!! Strictly for EVA Air flights only!!! If involves Star Alliance carriers, it will be the same as KrisFlyer, 80,000 miles!!

WOW!! I can fly on EVA Air Hello Kitty flights & Royal Laurel class flights at 30,000 miles discount!!

http://www.evaair.com/Images/enus/ev...tcm35-4200.pdf

Refer to page 32 & 33!!

lcpteck Oct 21, 13 1:48 am


Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 21640690)
BIG DISCOVERY!!!

For EVA Air's Infinity MileageLands now that the miles & points can be transferred from Citibank cards, for itineraries within Asia, like SIN-Korea/Japan, you only need 50,000 miles in Business Class!!! Strictly for EVA Air flights only!!! If involves Star Alliance carriers, it will be the same as KrisFlyer, 80,000 miles!!

WOW!! I can fly on EVA Air Hello Kitty flights & Royal Laurel class flights at 30,000 miles discount!!

http://www.evaair.com/Images/enus/ev...tcm35-4200.pdf

Refer to page 32 & 33!!

Sorry, I don't see anything about Singapore Citibank Cards in page 32 & 33 or any page at all. Can you check again?

LuisHK Oct 21, 13 1:57 am


Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 21641205)
Sorry, I don't see anything about Singapore Citibank Cards in page 32 & 33 or any page at all. Can you check again?

I think the document is about the amount of miles required for the ticket. As for whether is a 1:1 exchange we have to check Citi web or call.

vsepr Oct 21, 13 2:09 am


Originally Posted by LuisHK (Post 21641231)
I think the document is about the amount of miles required for the ticket. As for whether is a 1:1 exchange we have to check Citi web or call.

Please visit page 14 of the Citi Rewards catalogue:
http://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/credi...alogue2013.pdf

Well, I called Citibank. They said the internet banking has not set up the rewards system for the new FFPs and Hotel programs.

Asia Miles is still available for all cards, whether its Citidollars or Citi Miles card, VISA or AMEX. They missed Asia Miles out in the list in the website!!

Nothing is confirmed until they set up the internet banking rewards system.

LuisHK Oct 21, 13 3:22 am


Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 21641253)
Please visit page 14 of the Citi Rewards catalogue:
http://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/credi...alogue2013.pdf
Nothing is confirmed until they set up the internet banking rewards system.

Exactly, i made 2 separate calls and both agents told me that they are still offering Citi PM Visa as a product - and asia miles will still be available.

Good news for me but as you said, nothing is confirmed till it's written on the site.

vsepr Oct 21, 13 4:04 am


Originally Posted by LuisHK (Post 21641414)
Exactly, i made 2 separate calls and both agents told me that they are still offering Citi PM Visa as a product - and asia miles will still be available.

Good news for me but as you said, nothing is confirmed till it's written on the site.

Yup, nothing is confirmed.

Personally, I think Asia Miles is still available, BUT, Cit PM VISA is not. Because the links in the Citibank website only shows Citi PM AMEX.
Credit cards => miles => Citi PM AMEX

But if you look under "The most rewarding Credit cards in town! Choose from the category of Credit cards", you still can see Citi PM VISA under miles. But if you click the VISA one and "learn more", it directs you to the AMEX one.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:31 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.