Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Originally Posted by helosc
Very nice price.
Yes, Jyden inside of me was quite pleased
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: EBD
Originally Posted by jumbooze
Hi,
Cancelling ticket = Cash back or 0 cash?
I've read read reports in this thread that ppl get their UTo cash back after the flight date if they cancel the ticket before UTo goes through, can someone confirm or deny this?
I have a ticket that I won't use and I'd prefer not flush the OT cash down with it, was hoping to salvage the taxes and the UTo cash minus the fee.
Tia.
Cash back. I called OT and verified this just a couple of weeks ago.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:50 pm

Price changes

Hi,
I used OT for the first time today to upgrade my flight from OSL to LHR. Outbound flights is on Friday in the evening, inbound on Tuesday.
I'm upgrading 3 days before flight. Outbound: 37€, inbound 75€. I thought that 75 is a bit much(return ticket set me back abt 120€) so I only chose the first option. Once I did that I checked the price of the inbound upgrade, now it was 83€. Few minutes ago I got an email saying the upgrade cleared. And the inbound upgrade increased another 8€. Anyone came across that before? Is that the norm?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by flygirl1026
Hi,
I used OT for the first time today to upgrade my flight from OSL to LHR. Outbound flights is on Friday in the evening, inbound on Tuesday.
I'm upgrading 3 days before flight. Outbound: 37€, inbound 75€. I thought that 75 is a bit much(return ticket set me back abt 120€) so I only chose the first option. Once I did that I checked the price of the inbound upgrade, now it was 83€. Few minutes ago I got an email saying the upgrade cleared. And the inbound upgrade increased another 8€. Anyone came across that before? Is that the norm?
I have been monitoring some flights that I want to upgrade for a while now and the prices are different everytime I look.
Mostly they have been going up.
I have gotten the best prices when I request an upgrade straight after booking the ticket.
37€ is a very good price.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: A3 *G
I've upgraded with OT twice on Scandinavia - LHR flights but never on the return. The price outbound from LHR is ALWAYS significantly more expensive than in the other direction, at least 30 Euro more but usually around 50 Euro and yet surely the capacity/demand must be about the same. I've always assumed it's due to the extra costs involved for SAS - basically they can give you lounge access and fast-track for free in CPH/ARN/OSL but have to pay LH (or one of the others) at LHR. I'm not sure it goes the same way with other outstations, but the lounges in T2 are very nice - maybe the operators charge more there - I guess there's no way of knowing.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Could be that on the inbound they are forced to pick up the increased taxes levied at LHR for higher classes.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:21 am

An observation on Optiontowns pricing system that might be slightly interesting:

I am looking to upgrade two people travelling on the same flight but on different PNRs. Tickets bought same day.
I am travelling on a normal Go ticket and my son on a youth ticket.
I get quoted 54 € and my son gets quoted 43 €.

I first looked for my booking, then for my son's and then for mine again to check that it wasn't just a case of the price suddenly changing.

So either Optiontown is randomly giving different prices for different people or maybe they are cheaper for youth tickets.

(As an aside Optiontown has now changed their qoutes for TLV to reflect the fact that it is considered a European destination, not long-distance and that SAS doesn't have business class on these flights.)
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
An observation on Optiontowns pricing system that might be slightly interesting:

I am looking to upgrade two people travelling on the same flight but on different PNRs. Tickets bought same day.
I am travelling on a normal Go ticket and my son on a youth ticket.
I get quoted 54 € and my son gets quoted 43 €.

I first looked for my booking, then for my son's and then for mine again to check that it wasn't just a case of the price suddenly changing.

So either Optiontown is randomly giving different prices for different people or maybe they are cheaper for youth tickets.

(As an aside Optiontown has now changed their qoutes for TLV to reflect the fact that it is considered a European destination, not long-distance and that SAS doesn't have business class on these flights.)
Maybe it's depending on the booking class?(I honestly don't know the science behind it). Did you check which booking class your regular GO ticket is in?
Youth is always in V.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by MrCharming
Maybe it's depending on the booking class?(I honestly don't know the science behind it). Did you check which booking class your regular GO ticket is in?
Youth is always in V.
No, I didn't check my booking class - I always forget to do so at the time of booking. But so far my trips have always booked into one of the low-earning booking classes.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: EBD
Are SK flights on non-SK ticket stock eligible for upgrade? Just managed to purchase the upgrade option for a 257-ticket (OS). Flight is both marketed and operated by SK.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:26 am

My flights CPH-TXL-CPH and CPH-Stuttgart-CPH are now 67€ per way on Optiontown.
This latest jump in price happened after I requested some upgrades on other flights yesterday.
I think I better stay away from Optiontown for a little while and then see if the prices should drop.
The only reason I am even considering upgrading these flights is that I am considering trying to reach Gold (on points).
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Douglas
Are SK flights on non-SK ticket stock eligible for upgrade? Just managed to purchase the upgrade option for a 257-ticket (OS). Flight is both marketed and operated by SK.
Should not according to the rules... as the ticket is in OS's control.

Anyway, if OT cleared then you should be good. I had several LH bookings on SK metal which did not even offer the option while OS/SK mix always offered and even cleared for one trip (CPH-FRA-GRZ-VIE-CPH, first leg on SK, rest on OS, all on 257-ticket). I guess OS either doesn't care or has an agreement with OT.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: MP Silver / DM /SkyMiles
My flights CPH-TXL-CPH and CPH-Stuttgart-CPH are now 67€ per way on Optiontown.
This latest jump in price happened after I requested some upgrades on other flights yesterday.
I think I better stay away from Optiontown for a little while and then see if the prices should drop.
The only reason I am even considering upgrading these flights is that I am considering trying to reach Gold (on points).
My flight from CPH-TXL has an Optiontown upgrade for 53 USD. Not worth it to me, I think. For my wife's and my flight from TXL-CPH (one way) later in July, the price for SAS Plus was only about 45 USD more than SAS Go, so I booked it--primarily in case we have an extra suitcase to bring some gifts to our Copenhagen friends (I'm SA Silver only). I gather on such short trips the in-flight amenities are nonexistent, so it's really only worth it for points or the extra bag.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:32 am

First attempt with OT. My wife and I is travelling CPH-IAD-LAS-ORD-CPH in October, and it it would be nice to get an upgrade to Plus for a very reasonable 150 € each. Upgrades not available for ORD-CPH, but I have upgraded using points in the past, so I hope this still works. Fingers crossed.

Another question; how can I tell if our flight on Oct 7 to IAD is in one of the refurbished cabins?

Second question; assume we get OT upgrades to Plus well before the check-in. Will it be possible to have a points upgrade to Business at the check-in or at the gate when we already have had OT-upgrades?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by andersostling
First attempt with OT. My wife and I is travelling CPH-IAD-LAS-ORD-CPH in October, and it it would be nice to get an upgrade to Plus for a very reasonable 150 € each. Upgrades not available for ORD-CPH, but I have upgraded using points in the past, so I hope this still works. Fingers crossed.
Probably scheduled on the A340 without the PE cabin (LN-RKP).

Another question; how can I tell if our flight on Oct 7 to IAD is in one of the refurbished cabins?
Unlikley, I think. The first retrofitted A340 should serve NRT according to rumours.

Second question; assume we get OT upgrades to Plus well before the check-in. Will it be possible to have a points upgrade to Business at the check-in or at the gate when we already have had OT-upgrades?
Yes, not a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.