Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: MP Silver / DM /SkyMiles
Originally Posted by MrCharming
Can anyone confirm booking class for OT upgrades lately?

Did it fall into C or was it a temporary glitch from SAS side?
The updated itinerary receipt I got from SAS yesterday for my OT upgraded flight (IAD-CPH) changed from "T" class to "Z" class, so I assume that the booking class is working as it should (i.e., business class). On line it still says "Go Saver", but I think the "Z" class is what counts for miles, status, etc.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by mikepowie
The updated itinerary receipt I got from SAS yesterday for my OT upgraded flight (IAD-CPH) changed from "T" class to "Z" class, so I assume that the booking class is working as it should (i.e., business class). On line it still says "Go Saver", but I think the "Z" class is what counts for miles, status, etc.
Yes, it is now a Z class fare in nearly all regards. (i.E. still your orginal cancellation and rebooking restrictions apply, in case of irrops you might not be booked into business etc).

You will get miles and service according to Z class
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
And am I correct in assuming that Z class is the same as C class point earning wise ( that is 2000 points intra-europe )?

I sincerely hope so as I have requested a lot of optiontown opgrades for the next few months in order to earn gold status before my earning year ends in September. And I sort of need 2000 points per leg to make it work.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by helosc
And am I correct in assuming that Z class is the same as C class point earning wise ( that is 2000 points intra-europe )?

I sincerely hope so as I have requested a lot of optiontown opgrades for the next few months in order to earn gold status before my earning year ends in September. And I sort of need 2000 points per leg to make it work.
I suppose I shouldn't answer from a EB perspective. But from a United MP status, Z and C are identical (150% of miles for both status and points).
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:13 am

Z and C have different earnings at SAS on long haul but the same on short haul, you will get 2000 for flights between Scandinavia and the rest of Europe in Z/C.

https://www.flysas.com/en/eurobonus/...points-charts/

I guess that is the reason OT now upgrades IC into Z but European short haul into C. Anyway, that seems to be a rather new development since I had a OT intra-European upgrade before Christmas last year which booked me into A (1500 points).
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:20 am

Thank you Mikepowie and Fassy.

It actually makes sense (from a point earning perspective) to buy a Go ticket and upgrade via Optiontown instead of buying a Plus ticket as you can't choose which class the Plus ticket should book into. And the few Plus tickets I have bought booked into a 1500 point class.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by helosc
Thank you Mikepowie and Fassy.

It actually makes sense (from a point earning perspective) to buy a Go ticket and upgrade via Optiontown instead of buying a Plus ticket as you can't choose which class the Plus ticket should book into. And the few Plus tickets I have bought booked into a 1500 point class.
For Plus you actually can.

When you book a short haul ticket they give you the choice between SAS Go (U, K, L, T, O, V, G, E, M H, Q, W), SAS Plus (J, Y, S, B, P, A) and SAS Plus (usually only C even if Z and D belong here as well).

I have not yet found a way to purchase Z or D in Europe.

Anyway, you will know if you get 1500 or 2000 points but it is not that clear for the Go fare if it is a 500 or 1000 point fare. You need to expand the drop down on the right under "how many points do I earn" to get the booking class listed. For long-haul they directly show 4 different fare classes which correspond to the mileage earnings. To be honest, SK has one of the most transparent websites showing the real mileage unless you there are code share involved.

My biggest complain is that it is easily possible to buy a short haul ticket CPH-WAW for 1000€ in SAS Plus but they will be issued in Y, S or B. That is just a cheap rip off.

You cannot really compare buying a Go ticket + upgrade via OT to buying a Plus ticket in the first place. Sure, you most probably will earn less miles buying direct unless you shell out huge amount of money for Full Flex but you still have a fully refundable and quite flexible ticket. Unless you are 100% sure you will be on that flight, the cheaper Plus tickets can be quite useful.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by fassy
...........You cannot really compare buying a Go ticket + upgrade via OT to buying a Plus ticket in the first place. Sure, you most probably will earn less miles buying direct unless you shell out huge amount of money for Full Flex but you still have a fully refundable and quite flexible ticket. Unless you are 100% sure you will be on that flight, the cheaper Plus tickets can be quite useful.
No, I know I can't really compare the two. Plus tickets are very good value in terms of refundability and flexibility.

I was only thinking of the point earnings - a bit of tunnel vision at the moment as every point counts for me right now.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:00 am

What I thought was interesting was that my TXL-CPH trip was only ~40USD more expensive in Plus than Go when I bought about a month ago, and the OT upgrade for the CPH-TXL in bound flight two weeks earlier was in the 50USD range. For United MP, I think the bonus/status accrual is identical, so it's not an issue for me.

I realize the SAS Plus was a discounted Plus fare, but it's certainly not any more restrictive than the SAS Go + OT, and was cheaper (plus the certainty of being in Plus).

Heading out to the IAD shortly. Will post if I get upgraded from CPH-IAD in a few weeks.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The T&C got updated last Friday. I've updated the wiki accordingly. It definitely states BC Z & A for upgrades.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:22 am

Back from my IAD-CPH-TXL and CPH-IAD trips. A few details.

Indeed, the IAD-CPH flight is still the old 330. Boy, it's ready for an overhaul (especially in Go). Did get the OT upgrade (as posted) IAD-CPH for C. Had no problem with luggage as expected (3 pieces total between wife and me).

Had Plus (bought, not OT) from TXL-CPH Tuesday this week. As mentioned by Jespersm, the Lufthansa lounge at TXL is nice. My wife and I had breakfast there, essentially. Between that, the short check in line and the extra bag, that was way more than the price difference between Go and Plus ($45/person). They served Plus drinks of choice and asked if we wanted cashews, etc. Waiting for points to post, but think it will be posted as an "A" fare.

Not so lucky on the way back. No upgrade (Plus or Biz) from CPH-IAD yesterday. And not because Go wasn't full, because it was completely packed. First time it has not happened to at least Plus (apart from when the flight was cancelled) in about 10-15 tries (about 1-2 RT each year since 2011), so I guess I was due. Being two instead of one pax may have been part of the reason. Paying 240 DKK for two G&Ts and two Carlsbergs is not fun, nor was the food (been a while since I've been in Go on a TA flight on SAS, and it seems to have dropped since that last trip in 2010). At least I get my money back from OT...

Interestingly, I didn't pay for third bag on way back at CPH. Am SA Silver, but not Gold. I just clicked on "3" when the machine asked how many bags on the reservation (2 pax), and didn't ask for payment. When I went to the baggage drop off, the woman asked how many bags, when I said "3" she looked a tad surprised, but then didn't say anything and sent them along...not sure if the reason was: 1) system treats SA Silver the same as EB Silver, 2) maybe having Biz on the flight out grandfathered the rest of the itinerary or 3) she didn't bother to charge us.

Still would have preferred the upgrade. :P
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:52 am

330? I though there are all retrofitted and IAD is a 340 destination?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
SK925/926 has been operated by OY-KBM which is an A340 for the past week. All A330's have been retrofitted.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:34 am

Sorry. My mistake. The seat pockets safety manuals say "330" on them, which is why I probably thought 330--but yes, sorry the 340.

Regardless, the OY-KBM is looking more than little dingy at this point. I gather they'll all be finished by my next flight over there (spring 2016).
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
At this point OY-KBM is the final A340 to be upgraded after OY-KBA and LN-RKF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.