Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

The Escape Lounge is a small-medium lounge in Terminal 1 airside, across from Gate 9, between Gates 8 and 8A.

Complimentary access for American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members as part of the American Express Global Lounge CollectionSM. Also to departing International Business class or higher passengers such as British Airways.

Access for walk up clients is $45.00; booking in advance via Escape Lounges is $40.00. This is not a Priority Pass or airline lounge.

Amenities include a selection of complimentary alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and snacks, as well as

• Ultra-Fast internet provision, separate from the main airport Wi-Fi
• Easy, free of charge, access to the web
• Print, scan and copy
• Cellphone / tablet charging points abd poser points

(No showers; lavatories across the concourse)

Link to Escape Lounges page on OAK lounge

Link to OAK Airport lounge page
Print Wikipost

Escape Lounge OAK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by climbingbear
For Amex Plat holders, is there a need to make a reservation through the Escape website before a visit?

I am getting to the airport early this Friday (like 5:30am) so crowding shouldn’t be an issue. I see from the wiki one gets a discount for reserving in advance, but I assume I and my two guests will be covered by the Amex Plat lounge benefit.
Nope, you'll be fine. Show your card and the boarding passes and you're in. I love that lounge.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:24 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Interesting thing I've noticed, as someone who usually gets access to this lounge via the Groupon passes. The entry-time restrictions that used to be in place for Groupon entry (no entry noon-7pm M-F), has now been removed. Which I'm guessing has to do with the loss of all the long haul flights to Europe from OAK. I'm happy if that means there's less crowding in the lounge, but hope that there's still enough traffic to maintain its presence.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by ryw
Interesting thing I've noticed, as someone who usually gets access to this lounge via the Groupon passes. The entry-time restrictions that used to be in place for Groupon entry (no entry noon-7pm M-F), has now been removed. Which I'm guessing has to do with the loss of all the long haul flights to Europe from OAK. I'm happy if that means there's less crowding in the lounge, but hope that there's still enough traffic to maintain its presence.
No doubt as Norwegian has completely exited from OAK. Hopefully the Escape lounges will consider adding PP when the Amex deal expires.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by Boraxo
No doubt as Norwegian has completely exited from OAK. Hopefully the Escape lounges will consider adding PP when the Amex deal expires.
1) PP wouldnt let them because PP came to view Escape as a competitor during the MSP trial (Escape beat PP on the OAK lounge award, BDL lounge award and more)
2) Escape doesnt want PP because during the MSP PP trial their lounge got trashed
3) AXP has an exclusive for a long time
Old Dec 21, 2019, 6:14 pm

Question is whether Escape OAK makes any money with only Amex and a little bit of retail sales. Seems like they will need some kind of replacement for all of the lost Norwegian traffic.
Boraxo and medellinfein like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:27 pm

Now that Norweigan is gone....

... how is the lounge in the evening ~6pm?

Never been before, and it looks small --- is it pretty loud? e.g., does one hear front desk noise irrespective because of layout?

TIA
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by medellinfein
... how is the lounge in the evening ~6pm?

Never been before, and it looks small --- is it pretty loud? e.g., does one hear front desk noise irrespective because of layout?

TIA
https://www.groupon.com/deals/escape...tional-airport

I don't see an hour restriction on the Groupon anymore (unless I missed it somewhere). There used to be a peak hour (i.e., when the int'l flights would depart) restriction.
medellinfein likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I don't see an hour restriction on the Groupon anymore (unless I missed it somewhere). There used to be a peak hour (i.e., when the int'l flights would depart) restriction.
I agree, so i would assume that it is not as crowded (and further hope that the PM food spread has improved).

How about noise-wise? It seems to be one single room, so do you hear the front-desk chatter irrespective of where you are sitting in the lounge?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no front desk chatter as that area by the door is somewhat separate from most of the seating area. However the lounge is quite loud when it is filled, with TVs, people, kids, etc. No different from a crowded United Club.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:44 pm

Reopening?

Anyone have any idea when (if?) this lounge will reopen? Traffic is starting to pick up against OAK.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by excinit
Anyone have any idea when (if?) this lounge will reopen? Traffic is starting to pick up against OAK.
While that is true, the likely cash cow for the lounge (front cabin Norwegian and British passengers, paid for by the airline) aren't coming back. I hope it opens sooner rather than later, but the airport once again is turning into what, 80% WN out of T2 with a few T1 flights?
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
All the food at this lounge location comes in from somewhere else in the terminal where they roll it in on carts and bring it in the front door. This may be why it's closed, for safety etc.

Other Escape Lounges where they may have the kitchen inside, appear to be open such as this one: https://www.escapelounges.com/us/ontario-terminal-4.htm
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mediahound
All the food at this lounge location comes in from somewhere else in the terminal where they roll it in on carts and bring it in the front door. This may be why it's closed, for safety etc.

Other Escape Lounges where they may have the kitchen inside, appear to be open such as this one: https://www.escapelounges.com/us/ontario-terminal-4.htm
"Our currently open Escape Lounges are at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX), Palm Beach International Airport (PBI) and Ontario International Airport Terminal 4 (ONT)."
That's only three of the 12 U.S. lounges that are currently open. I hope OAK opens soon -- it's a terrific little lounge.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With everyone vaccinated (who wanted one) this is no longer an issue. Let’s not pretend it’s safety anymore - it’s now simply economics. And that could be addressed by opening to Priority Pass and/or moving to a more central space.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
While that is true, the likely cash cow for the lounge (front cabin Norwegian and British passengers, paid for by the airline) aren't coming back. I hope it opens sooner rather than later, but the airport once again is turning into what, 80% WN out of T2 with a few T1 flights?
That's a big hit for them to lose the Norwegian flights, but I wonder how profitable that was for them. Seems like Norwegian probably wouldn't have been willing to pay that much for its premium passengers to have access to the lounge. BA probably was willing to pay top dollar, but they never had much of a presence at OAK.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.