Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

The Escape Lounge is a small-medium lounge in Terminal 1 airside, across from Gate 9, between Gates 8 and 8A.

Complimentary access for American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members as part of the American Express Global Lounge CollectionSM. Also to departing International Business class or higher passengers such as British Airways.

Access for walk up clients is $45.00; booking in advance via Escape Lounges is $40.00. This is not a Priority Pass or airline lounge.

Amenities include a selection of complimentary alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and snacks, as well as

• Ultra-Fast internet provision, separate from the main airport Wi-Fi
• Easy, free of charge, access to the web
• Print, scan and copy
• Cellphone / tablet charging points abd poser points

(No showers; lavatories across the concourse)

Link to Escape Lounges page on OAK lounge

Link to OAK Airport lounge page
Print Wikipost

Escape Lounge OAK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delt Dia, UA Plat, Mar/SPG Gold, National EE,
I fly out of OAK a good amount and enjoy it. Use my Amex. I, like many others, attempt to get there as close as I can to the departure so normally I don't spend more than 20-25 minutes there. I haven't been there before a big international flight. Just some overall thoughts

* Love how you can take out bottles of water (sparkling and still) out of the there. Come in handy when you get to a hotel and it's $10 for a 12 oz bottle of water or just any time really. Wish more places would do that.

*Food options significantly better than a regular airport lounge. Not as good as a Centurion but still way better. Only issue is those hot black pots they have that usually have omelettes, sandwiches, etc. can be very hard to take off without burning your fingers. Have no clue how they have that set up.

*Normally can sit wherever and it is rather peaceful.

*Getting service can be an issue at the bar. Lots of times the person checking in people is also the bartender.

Overall, I would say it is a really good place particularly compared to other lounges around the country.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by theblogger87
I fly out of OAK a good amount and enjoy it. Use my Amex. I, like many others, attempt to get there as close as I can to the departure so normally I don't spend more than 20-25 minutes there. I haven't been there before a big international flight. Just some overall thoughts

* Love how you can take out bottles of water (sparkling and still) out of the there. Come in handy when you get to a hotel and it's $10 for a 12 oz bottle of water or just any time really. Wish more places would do that.

*Food options significantly better than a regular airport lounge. Not as good as a Centurion but still way better. Only issue is those hot black pots they have that usually have omelettes, sandwiches, etc. can be very hard to take off without burning your fingers. Have no clue how they have that set up.

*Normally can sit wherever and it is rather peaceful.

*Getting service can be an issue at the bar. Lots of times the person checking in people is also the bartender.

Overall, I would say it is a really good place particularly compared to other lounges around the country.

Sounds like they may be getting a bit better. When I was there last July, I had a fairly ho-hum experience mainly with the available food and the staff.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: Delt Dia, UA Plat, Mar/SPG Gold, National EE,
It can be understaffed. Almost always when I go in the bartender is also the person at the front. But food wise, it is worlds better than your average Delta/United club.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:12 am

They were understaffed for a while after but they're doing a little better now. The staff that is there is generally excellent, very friendly and helpful.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
My experience there back in December was similar to theblogger87's. It's a really nice lounge. Only downside is its limited capacity. Probably not pleasant to be there before one of the flights to Europe.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This small, casual lounge is better than “any port in a storm”, offers a reasonable variety of hot and cold foods and beverages and is a refuge from the dark, dank gates pier. It is accessible to some AMEX cardholders as well as to departing Business class (or higher, if available) on airlines such as British Airways.

We access it as “American Express Platinum Card® Members as part of the American Express Global Lounge CollectionSM” - but it’s not an airline nor Priority Pass lounge, so if you don’t have complimentary access it’s $45 atbthe door or $40 advance booking via Escape Lounges (link).

I’ve added a Wikipost for this lounge.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 18, 2018 at 11:59 am
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
...a refuge from the dark, dank gates pier.
Totally agree. OAK Terminal 1 was designed in 1962, well before security screening and at a time when air travel was a rarity for those not affluent. There probably wasn't much thought given to what spending time in the terminal would be like for passengers before their flights. However we got here, Terminal 1 is depressing -- not the place to spend an hour or more. The Escape Lounge is as its name suggests, something of a refuge in an otherwise bleak bus station of a terminal.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
Totally agree. OAK Terminal 1 was designed in 1962, well before security screening and at a time when air travel was a rarity for those not affluent. There probably wasn't much thought given to what spending time in the terminal would be like for passengers before their flights. However we got here, Terminal 1 is depressing -- not the place to spend an hour or more. The Escape Lounge is as its name suggests, something of a refuge in an otherwise bleak bus station of a terminal.
I've continued to see groupons pop up for the lounge from time to time. Just getting a cup of coffee in that terminal in the place with the green sign during peak times ... you can have 2 rounds of mimosas along with a cup of coffee as well as your breakfast or lunch, in the lounge, in the time it would take to wait in line and get your beverage.

When I had extra time, once upon a time, I'd have a PDB in the Tower Lounge, then head downstairs for a quick security line before boarding.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
For those who (like me) don't do AMEX I saw a Groupon offer for $28 or $55/2 persons. A couple of restrictions: You cannot enter the lounge during peak hours (12 noon-7pm) and the promotional value expires within 120 days.

May buy one to use before an early am Alaska flight (Escape purportedly opens at 5am) though I am not sure I can really get $27 value at that hour (or any hour). Though I usually spend $10 on a breakfast burrito and $3 at Starbucks.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
For those who (like me) don't do AMEX I saw a Groupon offer for $28 or $55/2 persons. A couple of restrictions: You cannot enter the lounge during peak hours (12 noon-7pm) and the promotional value expires within 120 days.

May buy one to use before an early am Alaska flight (Escape purportedly opens at 5am) though I am not sure I can really get $27 value at that hour (or any hour). Though I usually spend $10 on a breakfast burrito and $3 at Starbucks.
I wouldn't pay $27 for it but the AM lines for Starbucks can get pretty long, so you should consider how you value your time if you're going to plan to do Starbucks
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:28 am

Forgot Platinum Amex

Hi- I forgot my Platinum amex at home and am traveling out of OAK later today. I called my wife and have the card #.

Anyone have any luck accessing this Escape lounge with just the Card # or having the agent call Platinum concierge to verify you to let you in??
thanks in advance.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kewina
Hi- I forgot my Platinum amex at home and am traveling out of OAK later today. I called my wife and have the card #.

Anyone have any luck accessing this Escape lounge with just the Card # or having the agent call Platinum concierge to verify you to let you in??
thanks in advance.
I've had them recognize me and not check. I'm sure they'll find a way to let you in if you explain the situation politely.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kewina

thanks in advance.
I think there's a good chance you'll get in with your card number. It's fairly common that a magnetic strip or chip fails to register. I think the device used for swiping also has a numbers key pad. It might be that the agent is supposed to input the number only if the swipe fails, but with a smile and some charm, you might be able to convince the agent to input the number even though you don't have the card with you.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:41 pm

New complimentary beers are Carlsburg, Sierra Pale Ale, and Drake's 1500. Quality selections, although it'd be nice to get a little variety instead of two pales
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:49 pm

Slightly excessive glowing review from TPG https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/escape-lounge-oakland/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.