FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   Escape Lounge OAK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1736569-escape-lounge-oak.html)

worldwidedreamer Jan 5, 2016 12:10 am

Escape Lounge OAK

Looks like Oakland will finally land a lounge this summer. Like the recently opened lounge in MSP it will be pay-per-use. I hope that it joins Priority Pass or American Express Platinum like its sister lounges in Europe and the Airspace lounges in the US.

dhuey Jan 5, 2016 11:48 am

Interesting. I wonder where they will put it. I figure it will almost certainly be airside, but beyond that it's hard to say where it will be. Regardless, the airport is small enough that it will be a short walk wherever you are airside.

worldwidedreamer Jan 6, 2016 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 25966356)
Interesting. I wonder where they will put it.

There is a very cool space available in the former control tower. It is in the non-Southwest terminal near security. I'll try to dig through old pictures tonight to share here.

Eastbay1K Jan 6, 2016 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 25974404)
There is a very cool space available in the former control tower. It is in the non-Southwest terminal near security. I'll try to dig through old pictures tonight to share here.

If you mean the old tower lounge, I used to go up there for a pre-flight drink ca. the 1990s. However, the square footage in the article is a lot larger than that tower lounge was.

rjque Jan 7, 2016 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 25975782)
If you mean the old tower lounge, I used to go up there for a pre-flight drink ca. the 1990s. However, the square footage in the article is a lot larger than that tower lounge was.

I loved that bar. Such an amazing location.

Eastbay1K Jan 7, 2016 8:40 am

Originally Posted by rjque (Post 25976342)
I loved that bar. Such an amazing location.

And the loss of it eventually caused your move to Chicago. ;)

I certainly hope this is Priority Pass affiliated. If not, I'll likely just end up continuing to either camp out with a beverage at the T1 Starbucks or the T2 Vino Volo.

rjque Jan 7, 2016 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 25977956)
And the loss of it eventually caused your move to Chicago. ;)

Nah, I moved here for the weather.

ucdtim17 Jan 17, 2016 4:02 pm

Old tower is no more so it won't be in there unfortunately. Maybe that empty space near gate 8/8A/bar? Although it's really needed in T2 - it's often at max capacity with no seating in any bar/restaurant area. They lose out on business because of that.

dhuey Jan 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 (Post 26034114)
Old tower is no more so it won't be in there unfortunately. Maybe that empty space near gate 8/8A/bar? Although it's really needed in T2 - it's often at max capacity with no seating in any bar/restaurant area. They lose out on business because of that.

As long as it's airside, it will work anywhere given the small size of OAK's terminals and their close proximity to each other.

ucdtim17 Mar 4, 2016 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 (Post 26034114)

Answering my own question, it will be near gate 8 in Terminal 1

Troopers May 5, 2016 1:44 pm

Opening in June per website.

http://www.escapelounges.com/

Kacee May 5, 2016 11:57 pm

$45 ($40 in advance) and other side of the terminal from the WN gates . . . I'm having a hard time seeing how they're going to make this work.

Plus, I think most OAK flyers time their arrival at the airport as close to departure as possible.

Troopers May 6, 2016 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 26584150)
. . . I'm having a hard time seeing how they're going to make this work.

Concur...hoping it opens up to PP.

Eastbay1K May 6, 2016 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 26584150)
$45 ($40 in advance) and other side of the terminal from the WN gates . . . I'm having a hard time seeing how they're going to make this work.

Plus, I think most OAK flyers time their arrival at the airport as close to departure as possible.

I also don't think there are any int'l carriers that would otherwise provide lounge access to premium pax.

dhuey May 6, 2016 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Troopers (Post 26585127)
Concur...hoping it opens up to PP.

I think they'll have to have PP affiliation. Otherwise I don't see how they could pull in sufficient numbers.