Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
How far in advance can you apply for the free Qatar visa? The airlines aid only 7 days in advance. That does not seem correct? What is your experience?
Old May 15, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
How far in advance can you apply for the free Qatar visa? The airlines aid only 7 days in advance. That does not seem correct? What is your experience?
TonyBurr http://www.qatarairways.com/dk/en/qa...nsit-visa.page says "Entry to the State of Qatar with approved visa must be within 30 days from the date of issuance of visa" which sets the limit to between 7 and 30 days.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold
I'm curious if I can book a +Qatar stopover without applying for a transit visa through Qatar Airways. I was told that I am ineligible for the free visa because my trip originates from CAI and I'm trying to do my stopover on the return leg and the call agent told me that I am not eligible for the +Qatar offer since I cannot apply for the transit visa but I seem to be able to book the free hotel.

I'm quite curious as to what happens if I apply for a tourist visa online and turn up at the hotel with the reservation.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by SQ88
I'm curious if I can book a +Qatar stopover without applying for a transit visa through Qatar Airways. I was told that I am ineligible for the free visa because my trip originates from CAI and I'm trying to do my stopover on the return leg and the call agent told me that I am not eligible for the +Qatar offer since I cannot apply for the transit visa but I seem to be able to book the free hotel.

I'm quite curious as to what happens if I apply for a tourist visa online and turn up at the hotel with the reservation.
SQ88 welcome to the QR forum.

You have met the problem I warned about in post 20 of this thread. The differences in rules between the 96 hour free visa and the stopover offer from QR with the Immigration departments rules being the stricter.
However there is a possibly a solution.

If you look at https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...en/contact-us/ under the visa section you will see "All nationalities can apply for online tourist and transit visas." These two visa types appear to be the only acceptable visa types for the stopover offer. So you will need to apply for a Tourist visa. Look at https://www.moi.gov.qa/site/english/.../29/22651.html to see if you can meet the requirements. Note that there is a USD69, or more, fee for this visa type.

You also raise another problem: You do not qualify for the +Qatar offer for some reason or another, most probably visa problems, but still meet up at the hotel with your reservation. Who pays? I am fairly certain that QR will not so who is left to pay? The same with possible cancellation/no show fees!
Old May 16, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by SQ88

I was told that I am ineligible for the free visa because my trip originates from CAI
SQ88 - I am . Can you please expand on the link between an ex-CAI itinerary and being ineligible for the free visa?
Old May 16, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
SQ88 - I am . Can you please expand on the link between an ex-CAI itinerary and being ineligible for the free visa?
I think the restriction is that the transit visa is only available on the outbound journey if Originating from CAI .SQ88 wanted a visa for the return journey. I have certainly had 2 transit visas used on the outbound journey from CAI (Not used +Qatar offer as of yet)
Old May 16, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by crombiestone
I think the restriction is that the transit visa is only available on the outbound journey if Originating from CAI .SQ88 wanted a visa for the return journey. I have certainly had 2 transit visas used on the outbound journey from CAI (Not used +Qatar offer as of yet)
Phil the Flyer crombiestone remembered correctly. http://www.qatarairways.com/dk/en/qa...nsit-visa.page says
"Passengers holding return tickets and originating their journey from the following countries (Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Saudi Arabia, South Sudan, Sudan, and the United Arab Emirates) will be only eligible for one stopover on the outbound journey. Stopovers on one-way journeys originating from these countries are not permitted."
Old May 16, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
I selected the Sharq. The pictures of the grounds and pool are beautiful. In addition, it is about an 8 minute drive from the airport with No city traffic. Talk about Doha bliss! ^
Thanks! Slight twist: because of a change of date, I can now choose the Sharq or the Marsa Malaz Kempinski at the Pearl. Is either of the two a better choice than the other?? Thanks again!
Old May 16, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Thanks! Slight twist: because of a change of date, I can now choose the Sharq or the Marsa Malaz Kempinski at the Pearl. Is either of the two a better choice than the other?? Thanks again!
It depends what you are looking for in your stopover.
If you have never been to Doha and have some time on your hands, a 40 minute drive along the corniche road to the Kempinski might be interesting for you. Also, the Pearl is interesting to see too! As for myself, I arrive from MUC at 5pmish and my flight to CAI is not until 2.30pmish the following day. I don't have much need to head into town as I live in Doha most of the years don't have to go through the haste of tourist or transit visas. I plan to grab dinner in the arrivals lounge and then just head back to the Al Safwa lounge the next morning for a breakfast of eggs benny and champagne

Last edited by SullyofDoha; May 16, 2017 at 11:34 am
Old May 16, 2017, 11:19 am

orbitmic How did you manage to change hotels? the T and C's https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...s/PLUSQATARTNC clearly say "Bookings confirmed are non-amendable, non-cancellable and non-transferable.". Was your booking still unconfirmed or what?
Old May 16, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by remdk
orbitmic How did you manage to change hotels? the T and C's https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...s/PLUSQATARTNC clearly say "Bookings confirmed are non-amendable, non-cancellable and non-transferable.". Was your booking still unconfirmed or what?
Hi remdk, I haven't booked the hotel yet! After I originally wrote, work issues made me fear there might be a change of date which indeed took place, and I'm still due to book flight and stopover hotel (for which I assume that the availability showing on the discoverqatar website is accurate?)
Old May 16, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
It depends what you are looking for in your stopover.
If you have never been to Doha and have some time on your hands, a 40 minute drive along the corniche road to the Kempinski might be interesting for you. Also, the Pearl is interesting to see too! As for myself, I arrive from MUC at 5pmish and my flight to CAI is not until 2.30pmish the following day. I don't have much need to head into town as I live in Doha most of the years don't have to go through the haste of tourist or transit visas. I plan to grab dinner in the arrivals lounge and then just head back to the Al Safwa lounge the next morning for a breakfast of eggs benny and champagne
Thanks a lot, that's very helpful! I have indeed never been to Doha. Because of the July heat, I think I want a place where I'll be able to relax, maybe enjoy the pool/beach in the early morning or late evening. Would it actually be pleasant to walk round the Pearl given the mid summer heat?

One advantage of the Sharq is that if I choose it, I could take my stopover on the return, in which case I'd have more time (23 hours, from morning to morning). If I want the Marsa, I'd have to do it on the outbound, with a slightly shorter stopover (20 hours from evening to evening). One advantage of the Marsa is that when I do the mock booking, it shows a Pearl view room which sounds nice? Is one of the two hotels any better than the other? Any more 'special' (as opposed to bog standard international design that you could find anywhere and not just in the Gulf?) For instance has the Sharq a more 'Arabic' feel and architecture at all?
Old May 16, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Thanks a lot, that's very helpful! I have indeed never been to Doha. Because of the July heat, I think I want a place where I'll be able to relax, maybe enjoy the pool/beach in the early morning or late evening. Would it actually be pleasant to walk round the Pearl given the mid summer heat?

One advantage of the Sharq is that if I choose it, I could take my stopover on the return, in which case I'd have more time (23 hours, from morning to morning). If I want the Marsa, I'd have to do it on the outbound, with a slightly shorter stopover (20 hours from evening to evening). One advantage of the Marsa is that when I do the mock booking, it shows a Pearl view room which sounds nice? Is one of the two hotels any better than the other? Any more 'special' (as opposed to bog standard international design that you could find anywhere and not just in the Gulf?) For instance has the Sharq a more 'Arabic' feel and architecture at all?
In the summer months, You will have NO JOY walking ANYWHERE outside Doha. Plan for inside things like the museum of Islamic art and/or a couple of the big shopping malls. Traffic will not be bad because many expats and locals will be out of the country from about June 22 until Sept 5. Usually, the humidity can hover at +80% with a temperature of +50c. It makes Singapore weather seem pleasant
As for the Sharq,it definitely has an Arabic feel to it. Also, the pool looks to be gorgeous. My best advice is for you to check out the comments and pictures on tripadvisor to give you an idea as to which hotel you find most appealing and caters to you travel needs.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:05 pm

The Marsa is only about a year old. I had a stay cation there one night and its a great place to stay. The standard rooms are very big. You can walk to and around the Pearl from there, but it will be hot to do so in the day. However, it can be done as there are many places to go inside and cool down. The Sharq is a much older hotel but has more of an Arabic feel to it in terms of decoration. Its also closer to places like the Souq, Corniche etc (again can only really do during the evenings). Personally I would choose the Marsa, but then I see your complications with the outbound/inbound choice! Marsa has better restaurants and bars but both hotels are licensed.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know if Qatar+ ONLY applies to tickets booked direct on qatarairways.com, or can also apply to travel agent bookings? I know the website says only direct but hoping not.

I'm buying a ticket with ISIC discount, so need to buy via "STA Travel" as don't think QR sell those direct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.