Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:



To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha


Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Old May 2, 2017, 2:29 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Edi
Posts: 2,203
There's a reason it's free
Calum is offline  
Old May 2, 2017, 3:51 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
I just got my stay confirmed too Whoot!
For the successful folks, had you booked online or by phone (or does it appear to matter)? How available were the hotels for economy passengers, and was there a list?
oneworldmonger is offline  
Old May 2, 2017, 4:16 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: UK
Programs: AA
Posts: 209
This deal has come round at a good time as I am looking at flights from UK to BKK via DOH. I have had a quick look at the choice of hotels for economy passengers which tbh is a good selection and most offer free transfers and 24 hour check-in/out.

So my query is any recommendations of a hotel closest to he city centre/tourist attractions/markets etc from this list. We will be travelling during Ramadan would this have a big impact on enjoyment on a short one or two night stopover?

Thanks
steviewire is offline  
Old May 2, 2017, 4:16 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,944
I have just done two dummy bookings LHR-BKK in J 1-17 September
Multi city booking LHR-DOH-BKK-LHR was GBP 2990
Return booking DOH-BKK-LHR was GBP 2057!

The multi city booking was OVER GBP 900 more expensive and the only difference was a 24 hour delay in onward travel DOH-BKK!

The terms and conditions on https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...s/PLUSQATARTNC state
"Offer is valid for flights booked with Qatar Airways on qatarairways.com with Multi-city ticket booking."
So those who have already obtained a 'free' stopover may find that, unless it was a multi city booking, the stopover was cancelled because it did not meet the conditions set. It would be typical of QR to do so and not tell you until you arrived in DOH!

The press release http://www.qatarairways.com/be/en/pr...ease_plusqatar states "Free luxury hotel stays complement existing free transit visa to create a holiday-within-a-holiday for transiting passengers" but has different conditions to the free visa conditions!

No one in QR knows what they are doing and mistakes and rule changes are going to occur so be prepared!
remdk is offline  
Old May 2, 2017, 4:20 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: UK
Programs: AA
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by oneworldmonger
For the successful folks, had you booked online or by phone (or does it appear to matter)? How available were the hotels for economy passengers, and was there a list?
see this list of hotels here
steviewire is offline  
Old May 2, 2017, 11:05 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Doha, Qatar
Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Posts: 1,059
Originally Posted by oneworldmonger
For the successful folks, had you booked online or by phone (or does it appear to matter)? How available were the hotels for economy passengers, and was there a list?
I booked online, through the link posted earlier. My flight is muc-doh-cai in J class. I also booked the flight several months ago. I have a confirmation email that my hotel booking is confirmed. As I am in no huge rush (flight is in August) I will wait a week and then contact the hotel directly to reconfirmed my reserved room. If I get no joy, I guess that I can just head back to the Al Safwa Lounge and try to get one of the sleeper rooms. Anyways, fun at the moment
SullyofDoha is offline  
Old May 3, 2017, 12:22 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by steviewire
This deal has come round at a good time as I am looking at flights from UK to BKK via DOH. I have had a quick look at the choice of hotels for economy passengers which tbh is a good selection and most offer free transfers and 24 hour check-in/out.

So my query is any recommendations of a hotel closest to he city centre/tourist attractions/markets etc from this list. We will be travelling during Ramadan would this have a big impact on enjoyment on a short one or two night stopover?

Thanks
As its Ramadan nowhere will be serving alcohol anyway so it wont matter too much which hotel you choose. Although saying that, from looking at the 4 start list, I only know of two of those hotels which server alcohol. The Radisson is one of those and I think it also has more bars/restaurants than any other Doha hotel.
Expect very little to be happening daytime during Ramadan. Malls will be open (apart from eateries) Everything comes to life from the evening until the early hours.
Whilst the Radisson is probably the biggest hotel from that list, the Horizon Manor may not be the nicest or have a nice surrounding area, but from there you can walk to the Souq, Museum Islamic Arts and the Corniche.
Ben_W is offline  
Old May 3, 2017, 12:39 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Belgium
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by remdk
I have just done two dummy bookings LHR-BKK in J 1-17 September
Multi city booking LHR-DOH-BKK-LHR was GBP 2990
Return booking DOH-BKK-LHR was GBP 2057!

The multi city booking was OVER GBP 900 more expensive and the only difference was a 24 hour delay in onward travel DOH-BKK!

The terms and conditions on https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...s/PLUSQATARTNC state
"Offer is valid for flights booked with Qatar Airways on qatarairways.com with Multi-city ticket booking."
So those who have already obtained a 'free' stopover may find that, unless it was a multi city booking, the stopover was cancelled because it did not meet the conditions set. It would be typical of QR to do so and not tell you until you arrived in DOH!

The press release http://www.qatarairways.com/be/en/pr...ease_plusqatar states "Free luxury hotel stays complement existing free transit visa to create a holiday-within-a-holiday for transiting passengers" but has different conditions to the free visa conditions!

No one in QR knows what they are doing and mistakes and rule changes are going to occur so be prepared!
What are the criteria for a multi city booking? I it only the way of booking and how can you recognize on a ticket if you used that way of booking?
Is this a multi city booking?

BRU - DOH - HND
NRT - DOH - BRU
manes is offline  
Old May 3, 2017, 3:39 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: UK
Programs: AA
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by Ben_W
As its Ramadan nowhere will be serving alcohol anyway so it wont matter too much which hotel you choose. Although saying that, from looking at the 4 start list, I only know of two of those hotels which server alcohol. The Radisson is one of those and I think it also has more bars/restaurants than any other Doha hotel.
Expect very little to be happening daytime during Ramadan. Malls will be open (apart from eateries) Everything comes to life from the evening until the early hours.
Whilst the Radisson is probably the biggest hotel from that list, the Horizon Manor may not be the nicest or have a nice surrounding area, but from there you can walk to the Souq, Museum Islamic Arts and the Corniche.
^^
Thanks Ben, can take or leave alcohol but can have a couple on the incoming flight if I fancy.

I think you are right about the Horizon there . I would initially have gone for Radison Blue but is a fair way from the attractions. Only being there for a short time I think it is better being central. The Swiss Belle hotel is also fairly central.
I have done a dummy search and my route is only Ł10 more per person with a hotel stop compared to direct transfer.
steviewire is offline  
Old May 3, 2017, 3:51 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: London
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by remdk
I have just done two dummy bookings LHR-BKK in J 1-17 September
Multi city booking LHR-DOH-BKK-LHR was GBP 2990
Return booking DOH-BKK-LHR was GBP 2057!

The multi city booking was OVER GBP 900 more expensive and the only difference was a 24 hour delay in onward travel DOH-BKK!

The terms and conditions on https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...s/PLUSQATARTNC state
"Offer is valid for flights booked with Qatar Airways on qatarairways.com with Multi-city ticket booking."
So those who have already obtained a 'free' stopover may find that, unless it was a multi city booking, the stopover was cancelled because it did not meet the conditions set. It would be typical of QR to do so and not tell you until you arrived in DOH!

The press release http://www.qatarairways.com/be/en/pr...ease_plusqatar states "Free luxury hotel stays complement existing free transit visa to create a holiday-within-a-holiday for transiting passengers" but has different conditions to the free visa conditions!

No one in QR knows what they are doing and mistakes and rule changes are going to occur so be prepared!
Just booked VCE-DOH-BKK KBV-DOH-ARN for Ł996 with a 19hrs stopover in DOH. Easy to get to VCE and ARN from LON...
Giorgiok86 is offline  
Old May 3, 2017, 5:33 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,944
What are the criteria for a multi city booking? I it only the way of booking and how can you recognize on a ticket if you used that way of booking?
Is this a multi city booking?

BRU - DOH - HND
NRT - DOH - BRU
manes since this is a Sake fare reservation made during the last sale it is almost certainly a 'return' booking BRU-TYO.
However that is only my guess. Only you know if you used 'Return' or 'Multi city' for the booking. As far as I can see there is no way, except possibly the transit time in DOH, you can see on the ticket if it is one or the other. But your reservation has the information in the database hidden from your view!

A stopover in QR terms is that you break your journey, collect your luggage and leave the airport only to check-in again when you resume your journey. You are in transit if you just change plane after a shorter or longer wait. Both you and your luggage will be checked through to your final destination. That you can actually leave the airport while in transit in DOH has nothing to do with a stopover.

A multi city reservation is actually a number of separate journeys. In my LHR-BKK return example there are three journeys.
LHR-DOH and stopover
DOH-BKK and stopover
BKK-LHR with a transit to change aircraft.

For you you have BRU-DOH (with a transit) and
NRT-BRU (with a transit)

I hope this helps. If not ask again!
remdk is offline  
Old May 3, 2017, 5:47 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,944
Giorgiok86 you have a 19 hour TRANSIT in DOH not a stopover. Yo will have your onward boarding pass and your luggage will be checked in to BKK.

Did you book VCE-DOH-BKK KBV-DOH-ARN or
VCE-DOH DOH-BKK KBV-DOH-ARN?
With the second you have a 'Stopover' in DOH not just a 'Transit'.

You may find http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28260567-post26.html helpful in explaining the difference.
remdk is offline  
Old May 3, 2017, 6:02 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,944
steviewire thank you for your efforts. Did you actually book the flights with a stopover rather than a transit?

Did you book xxx-yyy and yyy-xxx as before? If so you have a transit and the small difference is due to exchange rate fluctuations
OR
did you book xxx-DOH DOH-yyy and yyy-xxx? It is here that you book a stopover rather than a transit. Since xxx-DOH and DOH-yyy are separate journeys then the cost will rise. Flights to or from DOH are much more expensive than fights via DOH!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28260567-post26.html may help explaining the problem.
remdk is offline  
Old May 3, 2017, 6:22 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: UK
Programs: AA
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by remdk
steviewire thank you for your efforts. Did you actually book the flights with a stopover rather than a transit?

Did you book xxx-yyy and yyy-xxx as before? If so you have a transit and the small difference is due to exchange rate fluctuations
OR
did you book xxx-DOH DOH-yyy and yyy-xxx? It is here that you book a stopover rather than a transit. Since xxx-DOH and DOH-yyy are separate journeys then the cost will rise. Flights to or from DOH are much more expensive than fights via DOH!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28260567-post26.html may help explaining the problem.
Thanks remdk. I tried to follow the instructions given in links earlier in the post. Using the multi-trip search I went Man-Doh Doh-Bkk Bkk-Man. The price coming out for two in econ was Ł839 (using mastercard code) whereas Man-Bkk-Man was Ł812 for two with masercard.

I haven't booked yet but want to today to make use of the mastercard offer. What I did notice when I did a dummy hotel booking for my one night stopover the price was $0 which I suppose is correct but I hadn't even booked a flight at that point
steviewire is offline  
Old May 3, 2017, 6:31 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: London
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by remdk
Giorgiok86 you have a 19 hour TRANSIT in DOH not a stopover. Yo will have your onward boarding pass and your luggage will be checked in to BKK.

Did you book VCE-DOH-BKK KBV-DOH-ARN or
VCE-DOH DOH-BKK KBV-DOH-ARN?
With the second you have a 'Stopover' in DOH not just a 'Transit'.

You may find http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28260567-post26.html helpful in explaining the difference.
Sorry my mistake in explaining this.
I booked the second option and it has a stopover.
VCE-DOH
DOH-BKK
KBV-DOH-ARN
It was only Ł16 more than the first option and definitely worth it in my opinion.
Thanks again for this.
Giorgiok86 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.