Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I had booked my flights on the website. I had to call the airlines for a question about the Plus and they told me that it could only be accepted if booked on the website, not with them directly. At least that is what they said.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by remdk
SQ88 welcome to the QR forum.

You have met the problem I warned about in post 20 of this thread. The differences in rules between the 96 hour free visa and the stopover offer from QR with the Immigration departments rules being the stricter.
However there is a possibly a solution.

If you look at https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...en/contact-us/ under the visa section you will see "All nationalities can apply for online tourist and transit visas." These two visa types appear to be the only acceptable visa types for the stopover offer. So you will need to apply for a Tourist visa. Look at https://www.moi.gov.qa/site/english/.../29/22651.html to see if you can meet the requirements. Note that there is a USD69, or more, fee for this visa type.

You also raise another problem: You do not qualify for the +Qatar offer for some reason or another, most probably visa problems, but still meet up at the hotel with your reservation. Who pays? I am fairly certain that QR will not so who is left to pay? The same with possible cancellation/no show fees!
Thanks for the response remdk! I would like to clarify my though.

Is it true that not qualifying for a free transit visa would also disqualify me from the +Qatar offer? I.e. Is the +Qatar offer tied to the free transit visa eligibility? I did not see that in the T&C.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:45 am

Phil the Flyer crombiestone remembered correctly. http://www.qatarairways.com/dk/en/qa...nsit-visa.page says
"Passengers holding return tickets and originating their journey from the following countries (Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Saudi Arabia, South Sudan, Sudan, and the United Arab Emirates) will be only eligible for one stopover on the outbound journey. Stopovers on one-way journeys originating from these countries are not permitted."
You're absolutely right!
Old May 18, 2017, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ben_W
The Marsa is only about a year old. I had a stay cation there one night and its a great place to stay. The standard rooms are very big. You can walk to and around the Pearl from there, but it will be hot to do so in the day. However, it can be done as there are many places to go inside and cool down. The Sharq is a much older hotel but has more of an Arabic feel to it in terms of decoration. Its also closer to places like the Souq, Corniche etc (again can only really do during the evenings). Personally I would choose the Marsa, but then I see your complications with the outbound/inbound choice! Marsa has better restaurants and bars but both hotels are licensed.
thanks again! Argh, I can really see the advantages of both! I also don't think anyone got an answer to the question someone else asked upthread on early check in? Could one get away with booking the one night luxury package of arriving at 5am on day one and leave at 7am on day 2? Or arrive at 1am and leave at 2am? Or does the stay have to be <24h? (My fare has no fee for a stopover so I could do that to have a slightly more relaxing trip...)
Old May 18, 2017, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by SQ88
Thanks for the response remdk! I would like to clarify my though.

Is it true that not qualifying for a free transit visa would also disqualify me from the +Qatar offer? I.e. Is the +Qatar offer tied to the free transit visa eligibility? I did not see that in the T&C.
SQ88 if you look at the visa section of https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...en/contact-us/ it seems to say that both types of online visas (Transit and Tourist) are acceptable. I think that there are fewer restrictions with a Tourist visa.

I think that you need to e-mail the +qatar helpline at [email protected] and ask to get a definite answer.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:52 am

SQ88 if you look at the visa section of https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...en/contact-us/ it seems to say that both types of online visas (Transit and Tourist) are acceptable. I think that there are fewer restrictions with a Tourist visa.

I think that you need to e-mail the +qatar helpline at [email protected] and ask to get a definite answer.
Thanks for the clarification! I sent them an email a few days back regarding another query and they never got back to me. My stay is in 2 week's time and I'll definitely report back on whether I got the room.

I wouldn't be too bummed if I was denied the room because my stopover is only 14 hours long and I can explore Doha since I have a visa.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
thanks again! Argh, I can really see the advantages of both! I also don't think anyone got an answer to the question someone else asked upthread on early check in? Could one get away with booking the one night luxury package of arriving at 5am on day one and leave at 7am on day 2? Or arrive at 1am and leave at 2am? Or does the stay have to be <24h? (My fare has no fee for a stopover so I could do that to have a slightly more relaxing trip...)
orbitmic according to https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...s/PLUSQATARTNC the check-in times for a hotel are the standard published times for that hotel.
Under 'For Hotel booking' it says "Early check in/ Late check out subject to room availability and cannot be guaranteed." and "Hotel reserves the right to charge the customer for any additional hours, Discover Qatar will not be responsible for the rates charged. We advise you book +Qatar Ultimate offer if your stay exceeds 24 hours."

Under the hotels section of https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...en/contact-us/ it says
"What time is check out at my hotel?
Check out time varies at each hotel, but you'll usually need to leave your room by mid-morning or mid-day on the last day of your holiday."

So it appears that you may be able to arrange an early check-in but probably at a cost!
Old May 18, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
orbitmic according to https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...s/PLUSQATARTNC the check-in times for a hotel are the standard published times for that hotel.
Under 'For Hotel booking' it says "Early check in/ Late check out subject to room availability and cannot be guaranteed." and "Hotel reserves the right to charge the customer for any additional hours, Discover Qatar will not be responsible for the rates charged. We advise you book +Qatar Ultimate offer if your stay exceeds 24 hours."

Under the hotels section of https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...en/contact-us/ it says
"What time is check out at my hotel?
Check out time varies at each hotel, but you'll usually need to leave your room by mid-morning or mid-day on the last day of your holiday."

So it appears that you may be able to arrange an early check-in but probably at a cost!
Thanks a lot, I hadn't seen that! That's very useful!
Old May 18, 2017, 11:33 am

So just to update, I've decided for the stopover on the return at the Sharq. I realise the Marsa looks more luxurious and the rooms absurdly big, but I like the sound of the more Arabic style of the Sharq, its proximity to the airport, and the beach that looks pretty. As I have status with Marriott, I am also hoping that the hotel will be a little bit more willing to indulge my early check in (as I am due an early check out too) whilst I am a nobody for Kempinski. I ended up booking a 27 hour stopover though that will of course mean less than 24 hour at the hotel even in the best of cases.

I hope that's a good choice!
Old May 21, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Do They Add New Hotels ?

I am looking to book a two night stay in Doha on my trip with the +Qatar Ultimate. I am looking for five star hotels, but they are only listing four star on my dates. I know once you book the hotel you cannot change it. My trip is late June. Do they ever add more hotels at a later date . closer to the visit?
Old May 21, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AA
TonyBurr, I noticed the same when I was looking to book the two night offer for the last weekend of June so booked the following weekend on our return to Doha. Maybe there is a big event on during the weekend you are searching for.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
You are probably looking around the time of the Eid Holiday. Occupancy could be a bit limited...
Old May 21, 2017, 12:28 pm

TonyBurr you do not give any dates for your stay so I can only guess as to the reason.
There are a number of blackout dates for this offer. The known dates are:-
Eid Al Fitr in Qatar 26-28 June so the QR blackout dates will be 21 June-2 July and Eid Al Adha in Qatar 1-3 September so the QR blackout dates will be 27 August-8 September.

During this time the hotels in Doha are full to overflowing which is why there are these blackout dates.

However as crombiestone points out in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28296927-post69.html some hotels are still willing to accept these bookings but there could be some risk attached. Please read the post.

Another possible reason for no five star hotels could be that you are travelling in Y and do not qualify for five star hotels, just four star!
Old May 21, 2017, 12:35 pm

steviewire as SullyofDoha points out you are travelling during the Eid Al Fitr blackout when hotels are very busy. You should look at my previous post on this thread for a fuller explanation.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA
steviewire as SullyofDoha points out you are travelling during the Eid Al Fitr blackout when hotels are very busy. You should look at my previous post on this thread for a fuller explanation.
Remdk thanks for explaining, I think I had read on the other thread about this.

Regarding booking a 5* hotel in the ultimate offer whilst travelling in Y. The search returned both 4 & 5* properties for my return dates and I was able to book a 5* hotel.

Hopefully everything works out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.