Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
A first for me, and something I hadnt realised.

Have just flown into DOH and went to AS but was refused paid entry as I'm on an 001 issued ticket.

Apparently only 157 tickets can pay for access so I'm ensconced in the AM Instead.

M
I paid for access on a 125 ticket last week so not sure about that rule.

aks120
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I'm wondering if 125 stock is different, because a few people have said the same.

Weird.

M
aks120 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:49 am

Programs: OWE, *G
I was denied paid access on a 125 ticket a few months ago. They had called ahead from the reception to book a sleeping room and just as I was about to pay a manager came by, looked at the boarding passes and the computer screen and said no, not possible. Was sent to AM.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
I do not know QR exact rule, but both legs are considered longhaul. AS and AM are departure lounges, so I assume that you won't get access because your longhaul departure from DOH is in Y, besides the overnight layover. But I could be wrong.

ANyway I strongly advise you to try to change your DOH-MLE to either J or a shorter layover. After 6 hours of flying F, a 9h layover (even with lounge) followed by a 5h flight in Y will be a HUGE letdown.
I really appreciate everyone's advice here. At the moment, I don't have any other options for booking awards tickets at the moment. Y was the only thing available.

I will take a look at Onyx for resting. I'm concerned about my own general luck when it comes to leaving the airport, so going into Qatar makes me nervous. I kind of just wanted to experience both lounges, AS on the way in and AM on the way out. I supposed I can always still do that on my J flight back by paying for AS access.

I guess we'll just see what happens and I'll book a hotel just in case.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by Andrew35K
I was denied paid access on a 125 ticket a few months ago. They had called ahead from the reception to book a sleeping room and just as I was about to pay a manager came by, looked at the boarding passes and the computer screen and said no, not possible. Was sent to AM.
Were you flying in Y or J? I think if you are in Y you can only pay for AM. If you are in J you can pay for AS.

Regards

aks120
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by aks120
Were you flying in Y or J? I think if you are in Y you can only pay for AM. If you are in J you can pay for AS.

Regards

aks120
Cash ticket in business. Maybe rules have changed since, or maybe it depends on the person manning the reception.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Is the sticky even current? QR seems to do a lot of strange things lately with their access to Al Safwa.

Last week my buddy who is BA Emerald sent me a picture from Al Safwa and definitely didn't fly First Class and neither did he pay. Have they started to give access to Emeralds now?
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:08 am

Hi, we're flying DOH-BKK, cash ticket bought in J, upgraded to F using avios. Will we get access to Al Safwa? Both on 157 tickets & OWS if that makes any difference. Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by McLash
Hi, we're flying DOH-BKK, cash ticket bought in J, upgraded to F using avios. Will we get access to Al Safwa? Both on 157 tickets & OWS if that makes any difference. Thanks!
As far as I know you get access for the ticket you’ve purchased, and not for what you’ve upgraded too. Meaning that you should have AM access but not AS. Not 100% sure if that’s the case these days though.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Is the sticky even current? QR seems to do a lot of strange things lately with their access to Al Safwa.

Last week my buddy who is BA Emerald sent me a picture from Al Safwa and definitely didn't fly First Class and neither did he pay. Have they started to give access to Emeralds now?
Could be the very rare occurence that overflow from AM has been directed to AS. Otherwise no, only First or QRPC Platinum (when flying business) have free access - otherwise it’s paid.
skywalkerLAX and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by agjil
I'm flying DXB-DOH-JFK soon, and my DXB-DOH flight is coded as first class while my DOH-JFK flight says business class.
In this case, can I use the AS lounge during my layover in DOH as I'm coming from a fist class flight connecting to business class?
I have the same tickets booked in Oct and I would like to know this as well.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 1:08 pm

As far as I know you get access for the ticket you’ve purchased, and not for what you’ve upgraded too. Meaning that you should have AM access but not AS. Not 100% sure if that’s the case these days though.
Thanks. So the question then is, is it worth the additional cost? we have a 2h50 connection time in Doha.. doesn't seem like it's worth it? Would need to get through a few bottles of Grande Dame pretty sharpish to make it worth the cost.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by pigx5
I have the same tickets booked in Oct and I would like to know this as well.
Provided that you’re flying with a Oneworld airline, then yes. With the new rules you would have access to AS when transiting from F to J, even if it’s just the short 1 hour hop from DXB.
pigx5 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by McLash
Thanks. So the question then is, is it worth the additional cost? we have a 2h50 connection time in Doha.. doesn't seem like it's worth it? Would need to get through a few bottles of Grande Dame pretty sharpish to make it worth the cost.
So with walking there and to your gate, queuing at reception, you’ll get around 2 hours in the lounge. The value is premium alcohol, better a la carte, and of course not as packed as AM. The value… how many bottles of LDG can you drink in 2 hours?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:31 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Provided that you’re flying with a Oneworld airline, then yes. With the new rules you would have access to AS when transiting from F to J, even if it’s just the short 1 hour hop from DXB.
What are "the new rules"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.