Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Not in my experience. When I checked in, they told me when the shuttles leave, and just asked me to be in the lobby 10 minutes before scheduled departure.
In my case, they would insist on "booking" us on the shuttle leaving 3 hours before the flight which was frankly ridiculous, especially as J pax travelling with only hand luggage!
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Whenever I've stayed at Oryx Rotana, the front desk just asked me what time I would like to leave for the airport, and provided transport at that time. Maybe it depends on how busy they are?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks for all of your input. But is the hotel itself, and the rooms QR provides very nice?

How much time should I assume I'll spend getting to and from the hotel, between the shuttle and driving there? An hour each way? If so, I've lost 2 hours.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Thanks for all of your input. But is the hotel itself, and the rooms QR provides very nice?

How much time should I assume I'll spend getting to and from the hotel, between the shuttle and driving there? An hour each way? If so, I've lost 2 hours.
there are several threads reviewing the hotel (and I think some posts upthread here if I remember?) it’s quite nice yes, and it’s about 20 minutes drive each way though you then factor in time at the STPC counter, wait etc. Obviously the transit hotel saves you a lot of time as mentioned by others, but it costs dearly too.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by MarkP24

Although driving is 15-20 min each way, you will loose more than 2 hour in total if in Economy:
Hotel desk: 5-10 min
Immigration: 5-20 min (depending on time)
Hotel shuttle wait: 0-30 min
Drive to hotel : 15-20 min

In general, hotel will recommend you to leave hotel 2 hours before your flight. I found it good recommendation considering I spent around 1 hour in immigration queue once during morning rush hours.

These times are based on my experiences of several STPCs while flying in Economy.
​​​​​​
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lento
Although driving is 15-20 min each way, you will loose more than 2 hour in total if in Economy:
Hotel desk: 5-10 min
Immigration: 5-20 min (depending on time)
Hotel shuttle wait: 0-30 min
Drive to hotel : 15-20 min

In general, hotel will recommend you to leave hotel 2 hours before your flight. I found it good recommendation considering I spent around 1 hour in immigration queue once during morning rush hours.

These times are based on my experiences of several STPCs while flying in Economy.
​​​​​​
Thanks!

I appreciate the detailed times.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Wedding planner :)

I've been charged with making some honeymoon flight arrangements. Nine hours is the shortest possible connection in business-class on a QR ticket, so they certainly qualify for hotel accommodation. However there is a later flight out of Doha which would give them a more relaxing 20 hours as a wedding night....

A line in the Wiki suggests that would be OK, but then there's a bit of back-tracking about it.

My name will be mud if the happy couple have to doss down in the lounge for 20 hours.

Is there any thread wisdom on whether the shortest connection needs to be taken, even if even the shortest possible is over the limit?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've been charged with making some honeymoon flight arrangements. Nine hours is the shortest possible connection in business-class on a QR ticket, so they certainly qualify for hotel accommodation. However there is a later flight out of Doha which would give them a more relaxing 20 hours as a wedding night....

A line in the Wiki suggests that would be OK, but then there's a bit of back-tracking about it.

My name will be mud if the happy couple have to doss down in the lounge for 20 hours.

Is there any thread wisdom on whether the shortest connection needs to be taken, even if even the shortest possible is over the limit?
You should go for +Qatar (or Discover Qatar, as they call it now), instead of STPC. The 20-hour connection, unlike the shorter one, is above the minimum transit time needed to book the offer. Find details here, but in short, for $28 you get a 24-hour stay in a 5-star hotel in Doha (double check if a specific hotel offers 24-hour stay, or a more traditional approach where you have to leave your room around midday) and you get to pick which one among a few great ones. With business class tickets, immigration and check in will be a breeze. Also, depending on the arrival time, I would suggest the arrival lounge as well.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by meelosh
You should go for +Qatar (or Discover Qatar, as they call it now), instead of STPC. The 20-hour connection, unlike the shorter one, is above the minimum transit time needed to book the offer. Find details here, but in short, for $28 you get a 24-hour stay in a 5-star hotel in Doha (double check if a specific hotel offers 24-hour stay, or a more traditional approach where you have to leave your room around midday) and you get to pick which one among a few great ones. With business class tickets, immigration and check in will be a breeze. Also, depending on the arrival time, I would suggest the arrival lounge as well.

Sure, I'm intimately familiar with +Qatar: and I had considered it.

But one problem in implementing the programme here is the nuptial pair are having a +Qatar break on the way back - and as you'll be aware, it's an "either out or back" programme. I know that for two travelling together there are ways round this, but altogether the extra stop would increase the cost, the administrative burden, and it starts getting messy. It's not my trip, and not my money: i want to avoid mess, burden and breaching the budget i've been set.

At the end of the day, they'll be looked after on a 9-hour connection: I just thought it would be nicer for them if that were extended to a 20-hour stay.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:12 am

Qatar just changed our Feb 2020 Return Flights from CPT reducing Doha layover to 7hrs 45mins (from 8hrs 30mins)---arriving 00.25 leaving 08.10--so STPC Voucher we already have seems invalid-----------but OP told us on phone they would still honour as Voucher 'on file'----does this make sense?---------uncertain abt such long lounge layover much prefer real bed----any advice?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Sure, I'm intimately familiar with +Qatar: and I had considered it.

But one problem in implementing the programme here is the nuptial pair are having a +Qatar break on the way back - and as you'll be aware, it's an "either out or back" programme. I know that for two travelling together there are ways round this, but altogether the extra stop would increase the cost, the administrative burden, and it starts getting messy. It's not my trip, and not my money: i want to avoid mess, burden and breaching the budget i've been set.

At the end of the day, they'll be looked after on a 9-hour connection: I just thought it would be nicer for them if that were extended to a 20-hour stay.
I am not following you. There are two people transiting DOH both ways on a round-trip. They can book +Qatar each way, using the ticket number of one of them one way, and the ticket number of the other one the other way. But, 9-hours or 20-hours, either way they are stopping in DOH, so what is the "extra stop [that] would increase the cost, the administrative burden, and it starts getting messy?" I apologize for missing something in your post, but I thought your question was to book a 9-hour versus a 20-hour stop.

They might qualify for STPC on the 20-hour, since even the shortest possible connection qualifies, but why take the risk rather than spend the $29 and forgo the food voucher?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oops! duplicate

Last edited by IAN-UK; Aug 10, 2019 at 3:15 am
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
I am not following you. There are two people transiting DOH both ways on a round-trip. They can book +Qatar each way, using the ticket number of one of them one way, and the ticket number of the other one the other way. But, 9-hours or 20-hours, either way they are stopping in DOH, so what is the "extra stop [that] would increase the cost, the administrative burden, and it starts getting messy?" I apologize for missing something in your post, but I thought your question was to book a 9-hour versus a 20-hour stop.

They might qualify for STPC on the 20-hour, since even the shortest possible connection qualifies, but why take the risk rather than spend the $29 and forgo the food voucher?

Lordy me! But this is getting tiresome .

I'm not sure why you present the alternative solution again. I understand perfectly the workings of two-way, two-ticket stop-overs. I explained that while certainly practicable that solution is, in this particular scenario, untenable.

The initial question was simple.
I gather from your final sentence that you believe there is no certain answer, which is, in a way, a useful response.
Many thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:00 pm

I have been conversing, via Twitter, with Qatar Airways for about a week reference 3 upcoming trips I have, all in paid J.

All 3 trips have layovers, both going and returning of more than 8 hours, with the longest being about 14 hours next May.

I had inquired about a hotel for the 14+ hour layover only as with the other 2 flights I wanted to try out the AS lounge and also let my wife experience the AM lounge.

Qatar emailed me today with 6 STPC reservations (2 each for 3 trips), for two rooms each night at the Oryx Rotana (not sure why they put my wife and me in single rooms as we're on the same PNR).

The questions is, what if I don't show up at the Transfer Counter and just head to the AS lounge? I don't want to stiff them, but I don't want to use the hotel, except for the 14+ hour layover. Also, on the STPC I do want to use is there any way to get them to consolidate the 2 single rooms into one king/queen room?

Many thanks

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; Aug 16, 2019 at 2:46 pm
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
The questions is, what if I don't show up at the Transfer Counter and just head to the AS lounge? I don't want to stiff them, but I don't want to use the hotel, except for the 14+ hour layover. Also, on the STPC I do want to use is there any way to get them to consolidate the 2 single rooms into one king/queen room?
You could email them back and ask them to cancel the rooms for the stays you don't want them. Even if you just didn't show I doubt there would be a problem because I don't think QR pays until a guest stays at the Oryx.

Regarding the two rooms, I would reply and and ask them to consolidate into one room. I had the opposite problem: there were two of us on the same PNR and we wanted separate rooms but they booked one room. I called and they fixed it.
RetiredATLATC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.