Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I called in for a trip for April 2020 MLE-DOH-IAD - the rep confirmed I was due a hotel and took passport info. A few hours later I received and email confirming a hotel against my booking with no other information. I presume I'll receive a confirmation of what hotel closer to travel?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR
Hi Flyertalkers,

I've booked myself a one-way mixed class (J+F) revenue fare from TUN to AMM, with a connection of 17 hours. There is only one option available with connection less than 8 hours, which is operated by RJ, and only operates J class.

I have called QRPC twice on this matter and both of the agents confirmed as long as a QR code flight exists as a shorter connection, there will not be STPC. Any of you have similar experiences that can corroborate or refute this?

Many thanks, have a great day.

HMA
We are in a similar situation and I would appreciate some help from the forum. We arrive DOH from LHR at 0045 and our onward flight to ADL departs at 2000. Have been told by my TA that Qatar have said that we don’t qualify for the STPC as we could get an earlier flight from LHR to connect to the ADL flight same day. Maybe that’s correct but it does reduce the attractiveness of the offer and wasn’t my original understanding. Has something changed?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dorsetboy
We are in a similar situation and I would appreciate some help from the forum. We arrive DOH from LHR at 0045 and our onward flight to ADL departs at 2000. Have been told by my TA that Qatar have said that we don’t qualify for the STPC as we could get an earlier flight from LHR to connect to the ADL flight same day. Maybe that’s correct but it does reduce the attractiveness of the offer and wasn’t my original understanding. Has something changed?
No, those appear to be the rules, cited above and in the wiki. But it's seriously not that big a deal. Book a US$23 hotel overnight with the Qatar+ stopover program and ubering back and forth from the airport is inexpensive and easy. I am an expert, I did this all of once. :-)
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:23 am

But the point is they are not allowing me to book the qatar + stopover programme
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
But the point is they are not allowing me to book the qatar + stopover programme
Because you're not eligible per the rules.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:18 am

They're 2 different programmes.

Note that for the stopover promo (which is NOT the STPC) there is a minimum transit time for it to be available to you.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by flashware
They're 2 different programmes.

Note that for the stopover promo (which is NOT the STPC) there is a minimum transit time for it to be available to you.
Ok thanks for that. Hadn’t realised there were two programs. I shall look into it to get a better understanding if I am eligible. My guess is that I am not given Qatar didn’t offer it?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Ok thanks for that. Hadn’t realised there were two programs. I shall look into it to get a better understanding if I am eligible. My guess is that I am not given Qatar didn’t offer it?
In my experience you need to ask for STPC (the free accomodation) to find out if you're eligible. In that one they pay for it but you get whatever hotel they offer (Oryx Rotana usually for J and D passengers) and it's subject to strict rules explained in this thread.

Everyone is eligible for the Qatar+ program. If you log on to your Qatar Airways account and look at your reservation there is likely a button that allows you to explore options and book. Easy, inexpensive and you get a choice of hotels. I stayed in the Tivoli Souq Waqif, because I wanted to walk around and do a little sightseeing and go to the Museum of Islamic Art. Or they have a selection of business type hotels.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:20 pm

20 hour stopover and city tour

I will have a 20-hour stopover (arrive 6am, depart next day at 2am) on Dec 18 in Doha with business ticket booked through AA miles. QR rep told me I'll need to pay $150 for the stopover hotel but without knowing which hotel until they book it.

I plan to do the city tour which lasts about 4 hours but will depart and return to the airport. Also I need to use the hotel to rest before my 2am flight. My questions are:

- Should I go with the QR stopover hotel or book on my own for day use (however the hours being odd so not sure if hotel allows early check in)?
- Should I skip the city tour offered by QR and explore the city on my own?
- Which hotels do they typically book for business ticket?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:24 pm

I'm also having issue with QR website to manage the booking. There's a popup window asking for my email, country, and phone number, but after put in the information it always gives the error message below. Is it because the ticket was booked through AA?
  • We are unable to process your request. Please try again later.(IBE_99)
  • The same frequent flyer number has been entered more than once. Please validate your entries and try again. (1302)
  • Sorry, We are unable to update your contact details.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by geewhy
I will have a 20-hour stopover (arrive 6am, depart next day at 2am) on Dec 18 in Doha with business ticket booked through AA miles. QR rep told me I'll need to pay $150 for the stopover hotel but without knowing which hotel until they book it.

I plan to do the city tour which lasts about 4 hours but will depart and return to the airport. Also I need to use the hotel to rest before my 2am flight. My questions are:

- Should I go with the QR stopover hotel or book on my own for day use (however the hours being odd so not sure if hotel allows early check in)?
- Should I skip the city tour offered by QR and explore the city on my own?
- Which hotels do they typically book for business ticket?
Both the STPC and the +Qatar programs require a QR ticket, as far as I am aware, so on an AA ticket you wouldn't be eligible for either program, which may be why they are quoting you $150. I suggest checking prices on hotels, you might be able to book what you like for under $150. For example, Hilton has a sale going on now, and for an arbitrary day I picked in January, the Doubletree Al Sadd is available at $86, the Doubletree Old Town for $97, the The Pearl Residences for $125 and the Hilton Doha for $133. The Pearl Residences is usually quite a bit more than that.

I did the QR-booked city hour and was able to be picked up from and dropped off at our hotel. You might see if you could have the tour pick you up from the airport and drop you at the hotel.

If you are eligible for the STPC, usually the Oryx Rotana is booked for business class passengers. It's a decent hotel only about ten minutes from the airport.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 2:37 am

QR rejected my STPC request twice on the phone, reason: booking class N is not qualified, you need at least S.
Anyone has similar experiences lately?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:39 am

Is there a way to do a stopover in DOH when booking using AA miles? I'm planning on booking BOS-DOH-ZNZ and would love to spend 1 or 2 days in DOH without having to spend more then the 75k AA for Qsuites one way. I don't care if I have to pay for hotels in DOH, but so far best I can tell I'd have to pay for 2 separate segments.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by robr
Is there a way to do a stopover in DOH when booking using AA miles? I'm planning on booking BOS-DOH-ZNZ and would love to spend 1 or 2 days in DOH without having to spend more then the 75k AA for Qsuites one way. I don't care if I have to pay for hotels in DOH, but so far best I can tell I'd have to pay for 2 separate segments.
AA awards allow for up to 24 hours of transit for an international itinerary. No way around that via them or QR.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I called in for a trip for April 2020 MLE-DOH-IAD - the rep confirmed I was due a hotel and took passport info. A few hours later I received and email confirming a hotel against my booking with no other information. I presume I'll receive a confirmation of what hotel closer to travel?
I got the same.... been that way for a month.... now a week out from the trip.
Assume I find the hotel at the transit accomodation desk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.