Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Does any one have information about Etihad STPC for Business Class ticket in AUH?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC
I'd suggest looking on the Etihad board for starters... Quick search threw the below up. See if you can find anymore.

STPC for transit in AUH on a J-class Award ticket

(sorry - above link is for a reward ticket, not paid)

Last edited by mrvincent; Dec 13, 2016 at 4:03 pm
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:30 pm

RolfD welcome to the QR forum. I hope that the dashboard made it easy for you to find this thread.

I am afraid that you will not get many qualified answers here because it is difficult enough keeping track of QRs STPC without worrying about other airlines.
You may get lucky but I suspect that most replies will refer you to the Etihad forum www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest-692/. That is the address of the forum.
The link mrvincent gives links directly to a Etihad STPC page.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by mrvincent
I'd suggest looking on the Etihad board for starters... Quick search threw the below up. See if you can find anymore.

STPC for transit in AUH on a J-class Award ticket

(sorry - above link is for a reward ticket, not paid)
Thank you for the information
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by remdk
RolfD welcome to the QR forum. I hope that the dashboard made it easy for you to find this thread.

I am afraid that you will not get many qualified answers here because it is difficult enough keeping track of QRs STPC without worrying about other airlines.
You may get lucky but I suspect that most replies will refer you to the Etihad forum www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest-692/. That is the address of the forum.
The link mrvincent gives links directly to a Etihad STPC page.
Thank you for the information
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:52 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi all,

Just to share my first experience with this last week. Due to schedule change, my SIN-OSL connection qualified me for STPC (just 30 mins above the requirement).
- while checking in @ SIN, they gave me a Blue ticket folder instead of the normal Purple one for Premium pax. Told me just follow arrivals with no further instruction - which was wrong!
- you have to go to the transfer desk and even when you are there to the one for hotel arrangements

- they only had 1 counter for J/F class, and the whole process was slow. Luckily I waved down another agent who helped me later to process (the other guy was still with the same pax when I was finished)

- after you have this "yellow" form, you can proceed to the Premium Arrivals lounge for Immigration.

- depending on the officer, this can be fast or slow. Waited close to 20 mins before being processed (and that is after moving to a more efficient officer).

- after exiting arrivals, you have to meet your hotel rep. I had to wait 10 mins for the next shuttle. (was given the Orxy Rotana - close to the old airport).

- arrival at the hotel, still took another 15-20 mins before getting my key. (strangely I was more or less "forced" by one of the hotel staff to give him my passport/form even when I insisted to line up myself. Anyway, after that my room was assigned and politely told him that I can get to my room myself

I understand now why they have this minimal time for STPC. I don't understand why they can't make the process easier (sans the lazy/inefficient immigration officer). They could improve by
- already giving this yellow form at the check-in station
- hotels already have the info and keys ready for these guests

The whole process took close to 1h 30m, and this is for a Premium passenger, can't imagine this for Y passenger.
It is however much better than lounging it out in the lounge even for the 4-5 hours spent in a hotel room.

Cheers!
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:26 am

nldogbert thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I am sorry that you met so many hindrances on your way.

With regard to SIN I think they omitted 'until reaching the transfer desks' to their advice 'Follow arrivals' as described on the Wiki on arrival at doh (disembarking). You should actually already have this information on the STPC confirmation.

A link to your posting together with a link to one by Johnnieboy with almost the opposite experience, have been added to the Wiki on I have stpc what do I do?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:55 pm

90 minutes does sound longer than usual.

It is definitely a bit confusing the first time, and would be much easier/quicker if you are allocated the airport hotel. But that is often fully booked and doesn't seem to be used that often for STPC.

Every time I have called to book a STPC, I have then received an email confirmation which does detail the process of having to report to the hotels desk in the transfer area, and then clear immigration for a city hotel. I appreciate that this can be easily overlooked after a long flight however. Being given less complete details at outstations won't help.

And of course, queues may be longer at certain times anyway, and be slower depending on the circumstances of whomever is in the queue in front of you.

If the Oryx Rotana desk in the car park opposite Arrivals is open, you may be able to check in and get your room key there, so avoiding another wait at hotel reception. I think this service may only operate at certain times. The free Oryx Rotana transfer bus leaves every 20 minutes, so a short wait is probably to be expected. There are of course taxis that can be paid for if you don't fancy waiting for the bus. You could also choose to wait in the landside premium arrivals lounge.

Regarding the blue boarding pass wallet, this is the usual colour for Doha arrivals rather than transfers, irrespective of class of travel. If you need to clear immigration for your hotel, this is technically correct.

On balance I think it's a great service, and beats an overnight wait in the lounges, even if leaving the airport does cut into your sleep time on the minimum 8 hour transfer.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Just briefly to share my (first) experience with STPC last night. We were allocated the Movenpick Hotel Towers and Suites (West Bay).

Upon arriving in DOH (the private bus just for J pax was much appreciated) we went to the Transit accommodation desk, I handed them the email confirmation and after 5mins, the guy told us to leave the passports and the outbound boarding
passes with him and to wait for him at the business arrivals lounge downstairs (ie without clearing immogration) until he 'processes our visas'. I was told this was going to take 20mins and indeed 20mins it was. TBH, I thought that this step could have been avoided given that I was on the phone for 15+mins with a Qatar airways employee the first time I requested STPC and I had then already provided all passport information. I believe that was needed for the visa processing in the first place so I was a bit disappointed that I had to wait another 20mins...

Anyway, when the QR employee came to us with our passports and the hotel voucher, we cleared immigration directly from the lounge. Outside there were some airport employees who kindly spotted us, had a look at the voucher and did some digging re the transfer to our hotel. As I was told, the hotel we were given does airport shuttle only and we had to wait 30mins until the next one...not that lucky again. We waited there and until the 30mins passed, the guy came to us, took us to a van with another passenger and off to the hotel (about 20mins ride from DOH). The hotel room itself was very nice, suite style with living room and 2 bathrooms. The check in at the hotel was also pretty quick.

The hotel arranged for transfer back to DOH at 5am and kindly called us at 430am by means of alarm clock.

The most shocking part (beyond QR's control to some extent) was the transfer back to DOH at 5am. That was in a white van/mini bus with close to 30 passengers and with the suitcases piles on top of the seats. Even some people had to sit in foldable chairs in the middle aisle of the van - this reminded me of 'Chinabus' which I had used years ago for cheap rides from Penn state to NYC. This was defininitely not a premium experience!

All in all, despite the hassle, we managed to get a 'decent' four hour sleep and a couple of extra stamps in the passport. Next time though, If STPC, I will try to engineer thr stopover better as we had only 8h and 15mins, which was not ideal to start with.

Hope this helps
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Please can I ask, how much the STPC would cost if purchased on the telephone to the UK office in GBP? Is it simply 150 USD converted to GBP? Thanks
Old Dec 23, 2016, 1:10 pm

Jonathan Ppang yes but to QRs internal exchange rate.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
So I've got a flight itinerary CMB-DOH-CAI-DOH-CMB. My flight gets into CAI at 1645 and I take the turnaround flight back to DOH at 1910 and then have an 11:05 hr transit before my flight to CMB. QR have said I can't have an STPC as there is an earlier flight departing CAI at 1300 which connects to a CMB flight and therefore I'm not eligible for STPC. They admit that they can see I don't get into CAI till 1645 but they say I have the option to get into CAI earlier for the turnaround so therefore STPC doesn't apply. That doesn't sound right. Should I challenge this?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:30 pm

The basic rule of thumb is that if there is a sub-8 hour connection on the day that you are travelling, you don't get stpc.

So whilst they can see that you wouldn't be in CAI to catch the earlier flight, I think their reasoning would be that isn't really their issue, as you could also only be arriving just before the flight out by another airline, or road or rail.

So I think challenging it might not get you too far. As an alternative though, you could arrange your own stopover using the free Doha transit visa and booking your own hotel. This is often no more expensive than the paid stpc.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
As an alternative though, you could arrange your own stopover using the free Doha transit visa and booking your own hotel. This is often no more expensive than the paid stpc.
The free transit visa would not apply as flights to/from Egypt (and other Middle East locations) are excluded from the programme. The OP could do a DIY stopover but would need to pony up for a visa.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:02 am

plunet The regulations state that single journey tickets originating from those countries do not qualify. Return tickets originationg from those countries only qualify for the out bound journey.
Since CMB-DOH-CAI-DOH-CMB does not originate from those countries that rule plays no role here. http://www.qatarairways.com/dk/en/qa...nsit-visa.page

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.