Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:56 pm

Melia Doha?

Hi I am in R class with just over 9 hours transit. I have had my transit accommodation confirmed as the Melia Doha. Has anyone been allocated this recently and recount experience?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC gold
Called QR UK, waited for a bit and got STPC for my R class both way.
(PSA-DOH-HND) ~13hrs and ~19hrs.
WOW this will be my first time on Qatar and also for such a long transit.
Hopefully this will be smooth and pleasant.

Do I need to prepare some Qatari Rial for my transit? Credit card good enough?(For example only plan to stay in the provided hotel and if there is availability for the free local tour)
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:49 am

meowycrystal welcome to the QR forum. Many of your questions, including those as yet unasked, have already been answered. You can find many of those answers by using the dashboard. The Wikis are kept up to date so they are very reliable sources of information.

Unless you go to the markets, souks etc. I very much doubt that you will need more than your Credit card.

With regard to the Free City Tour look at timings etc. on http://www.qatarairways.com/dk/en/of...city-tour.page. Note especially the opening times for tour check-in. The first and last tours of the day are very popular and quickly become full.

Above all relax and enjoy the journey. You are in good hands.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC gold
remdk, thank you for your warm welcome I look really forward to be on QR.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:35 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
I probably know the answer to this, but trying to get some clarification. I've read the Wiki thoroughly and most of the 15 pages of this thread but could not find what I'm looking for. regarding VI. "Different Scenarios"

I'm flying CMB-DOH-BOS on the promotional (R class) Business fare in November. The only connection that is "immediate" leaves CMB at 0325A, as the DOH-BOS leg is an 0800A departure, and it's only once per day.

I can't physically leave CMB at 325A, since I won't be there yet. all other CMB-DOH departures later that day would meet the 8:00 layover requirement, as I wait overnight for the DOH-BOS flight the next day.

So- is QR looking at ANY combination of inbound / connecting flights, and if even ONE combination exists, they would deny the STPC? Or are they starting from the 1st leg that you DO book (ie, CMB-DOH) and seeing when the first available connection flight is from that time forward? I am not delaying the 2nd leg- I'm taking the first DOH-BOS out that operates.

There's no shenanigans here, infact I didn't even realize QR had this program until I booked the ticket and started perusing the QR board. I will probably just go into the city anyways and cab back to the airport and enjoy the lounge. But I thought I would try and get further clarification before I call them. thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
I probably know the answer to this, but trying to get some clarification. I've read the Wiki thoroughly and most of the 15 pages of this thread but could not find what I'm looking for. regarding VI. "Different Scenarios"

I'm flying CMB-DOH-BOS on the promotional (R class) Business fare in November. The only connection that is "immediate" leaves CMB at 0325A, as the DOH-BOS leg is an 0800A departure, and it's only once per day.

I can't physically leave CMB at 325A, since I won't be there yet. all other CMB-DOH departures later that day would meet the 8:00 layover requirement, as I wait overnight for the DOH-BOS flight the next day.

So- is QR looking at ANY combination of inbound / connecting flights, and if even ONE combination exists, they would deny the STPC? Or are they starting from the 1st leg that you DO book (ie, CMB-DOH) and seeing when the first available connection flight is from that time forward? I am not delaying the 2nd leg- I'm taking the first DOH-BOS out that operates.

There's no shenanigans here, infact I didn't even realize QR had this program until I booked the ticket and started perusing the QR board. I will probably just go into the city anyways and cab back to the airport and enjoy the lounge. But I thought I would try and get further clarification before I call them. thanks!
Correct, any combination. So if there is one (even if it's not the itinerary you have booked) that wouldn't be valid for STPC then you're out of luck.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Jerseylily
Hi I am in R class with just over 9 hours transit. I have had my transit accommodation confirmed as the Melia Doha. Has anyone been allocated this recently and recount experience?
I stayed quite some time in this hotel earlier this year. Very comfy and nice rooms, I loved it.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:18 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonours Gold.
Hi all, I have just contacts Qatar and they confirmed I am eligible for the STPC on a business R ticket.

He said to expect an email to confirm it, and that I will find out the accommodation name upon arrival in Doha at the Qatar hotel desk?

Is that as expected? Or would I expect to find out the accommodation before I arrive via the email?

Secondly, can anyone confirm the value of the meal entitlement? I can't seem to find reference to it.

Finally, I am confused about the meal voucher. I read that if the value of your meal exceeds the value of the voucher then you have to pay in full? Or am I mistaken and you just pay the extra over cost?

Last edited by thepinkponce; Sep 27, 2016 at 6:30 am
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:35 am

In my experience, the email usually says which hotel you are in. But you still have to go to the transit accommodation desk on arrival to collect the voucher, so I suppose the hotel could change...

I had an stpc recently but can't remember how much the meal voucher was for (250 riyals rings a bell). I was at Oryx Rotana and didn't use the full amount, but I think you just charge everything to your room and settle up with the voucher and any extra when you check out. Other hotels may vary...

I don't know whether the voucher amount may vary depending on the length of your stopover, but remember you will only get a meal voucher if your transit is longer than a certain time (11 hours I think?)

Last edited by Johnnieboy; Sep 27, 2016 at 1:01 pm
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
When I had a STPC the meal vouchers were very generous - I seem to recall I was given 3 vouchers (it was nearly 24 hours stopover due to a missed connection). I didn't use 1 of the vouchers as I went straight to sleep, but the others were sufficient to cover the full restaurant breakfast and lunch/dinner buffet in the hotel (Movenpick). I ended up having a great unplanned stopover and was really happy I'd been delayed
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:50 pm

Weird answer from Qatar

Hello,
I am travelling from Belgrade to Maputo with an 11hr 55 min stopover in Doha. Long story short, on my trip to Belgrade I used miles to upgrade to business class, on the return to Maputo I received an e-mail and paid to be upgraded (was in N, now in I-class). I tried calling Qatar Airways in order to check if I was eligible for (paid or free) STPC. They said they would put in a request. I called back today and the lady seemed confused, saying I would lose my business class upgrade if I chose to pay for my STPC. Anyone with experience?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:55 pm

I've had the missed connection one before (also at the rotana) and was given a voucher for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don't remember it having a fixed monetary value. Yes, it seemed very generous, although I didn't eat all three meals and struggled to use up the fixed value one recently too.

Perhaps missed departure is treated differently from a long transfer stpc. Anyone know?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by hildebh
Hello,
I am travelling from Belgrade to Maputo with an 11hr 55 min stopover in Doha. Long story short, on my trip to Belgrade I used miles to upgrade to business class, on the return to Maputo I received an e-mail and paid to be upgraded (was in N, now in I-class). I tried calling Qatar Airways in order to check if I was eligible for (paid or free) STPC. They said they would put in a request. I called back today and the lady seemed confused, saying I would lose my business class upgrade if I chose to pay for my STPC. Anyone with experience?
I should imagine that if your original economy fare was in a qualifying fare bucket and over the minimum cost threshold, you should get the economy stpc package. Might be worth calling again and asking on the basis of your paid for ticket.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Hi guys, I have a BKK-DOH-LAX flight coming up.

There are 4 flights available. 1 flight @ 2am that reaches DOH in time to get a connecting flight at 8am. The 3 other flights at 9am, 9pm & 10pm don't make it to DOH in time to make that connecting flight.
There is only ONE flight that departs DOH-LAX (at 8am)

If I've read correctly, I don't qualify for STPC/free hotel as there is that 2am flight available that can make the connecting flight?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC
I've tried to find a post in this thread but couldn't... I'm sure there's something somewhere (specific, I know) that says it doesn't matter about your long-haul inbound connection (you could take any BKK-DOH flight), rather it is all to do with when the next connecting flight is from when you land.

This would mean any BKK-DOH would work for STPC. However, I can't find the post confirms this!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.