Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Long Layover in DOH

Oh wise QR FT sages:

This is my first post here at the QR Board.

I booked a QR "I" Fare DMM-DOH-ATL with a 9+ hour layover in DOH (leaving DOH on June 11.

There was a later flight from DMM-DOH but no "I" availability, and thus I am not qualified for the STPC.

What are my options to mitigate this long layover, short of hanging out in the QR Lounge for 9+ hours ?

I note that there is an Airport Hotel on the "secure" side of the airport. Short of paying for a nights stay, does anyone know if there is a gym/pool at this Hotel or on the "secure" side of the airport ? I have used the DXB Hotel Gym-Pool for a fee and it really makes the time go by fast and is very refreshing.

Your keen posts and insights are most greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
STPC and Ramadan Questions:
We will be staying at Oryx Rotana on a PAID STPC later this month during Ramadan. Not a problem. In fact, interesting.
Looks like we will qualify for a meal voucher but no idea the amount. Any insight?
Also, it looks like the hotel has several reservable Iftar menus and locations. Will we be able to get into the restaurants without a reservation?
We would be happy to pay the balance if the set meals are higher but just wondering if the meal voucher will come close to covering the special meals.

I suppose I should also ask if, as a westerner, we would be welcome at these meals

I added this post to the Ramadan thread as well but not sure where it really belongs as it crosses several topic areas
Thanks,
AJ
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My father and I are on an I fare from ORD-DOH-SYD. Arrival at DOH is at 1700, departure to PER is at 0225. From what I can tell we might be lucky enough to qualify for STPC. Stupid question: I assume to find out if this is true I should call the North American reservations number of QR?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
My father and I are on an I fare from ORD-DOH-SYD. Arrival at DOH is at 1700, departure to PER is at 0225. From what I can tell we might be lucky enough to qualify for STPC. Stupid question: I assume to find out if this is true I should call the North American reservations number of QR?
Do ring - as per WIKI will be valid as in excess of 8 hours and less that 24 hours as long as no other shorter connection was available and ticket (?sector) meets a minimum spend of 400 USD I believe (?excl. taxes and fees).

I booked - and recently flew - BHX-DOH-JNB in J (arr 1735 in DOH and dep 0230 to JNB) via the QR US call centre and rang them up a week before flying to confirm the STPC. My Flights App (recommended and gratis) informed thereafter that booking updated with STPC number.

Passport details requested after reservation code given (as had not entered these online). No credit card details requested (although I offered this as had read on this forum that usually required).

On arrival head to the Transfer Desk.

If travelling J/F one can then wait in the arrivals lounge. I have also read here of others in J simply heading directly to the Arrivals Lounge and the lounge reception staff processing all on their behalf.

Voucher (food allowance incl. only if layover in excess of 11 hours) then given and passport returned which allows one to enter Qatar on a visa and be transferred to hotel. J (and presumably F) stay at the Oryx Rotana.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: QR Gold, Skyteam Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
[ does anyone know if there is a gym/pool at this Hotel or on the "secure" side of the airport ? I have used the DXB Hotel Gym-Pool for a fee and it really makes the time go by fast and is very refreshing.

Your keen posts and insights are most greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Yes..the Doha airport hotel on the air side has a wonderful pool and a gym. Just have a look at my comprehensive Doha airport review on my youtube channel
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
I've booked an J award JFK-DOH-AUH through AA. We have an almost 9-hr layover, but I can't tell on the AA booking what fare class the J award books into. Does anyone know if these will qualify for free STPC?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
I've booked an J award JFK-DOH-AUH through AA. We have an almost 9-hr layover, but I can't tell on the AA booking what fare class the J award books into. Does anyone know if these will qualify for free STPC?
No, award tickets are not eligible. If wanting to do it you can call QR and pay.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:48 am

clr4t8koff according to the Wiki on this thread and QRs website http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page you do not qualify because
1) STPC is not permitted to/from AUH
2) There is a shorter connection under 8 hours available
3) Free STPC is not given on award tickets and paid STPC is only available to QR issued tickets in certain extreme cases.

Why would QR provide you with free STPC when you are travelling on an award ticket of a competitor?

If you want free STPC ask your ticket issuer - AA!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by remdk
clr4t8koff according to the Wiki on this thread and QRs website http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page you do not qualify because
1) STPC is not permitted to/from AUH
2) There is a shorter connection under 8 hours available
3) Free STPC is not given on award tickets and paid STPC is only available to QR issued tickets in certain extreme cases.

Why would QR provide you with free STPC when you are travelling on an award ticket of a competitor?

If you want free STPC ask your ticket issuer - AA!
I meant to type MLE as our destination, not AUH. I thought QR might provide the room since the tickets are booked on QR in J.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:55 am

clr4t8koff in spite of the change of destination there are still two reasons for your not qualifying for STPC

1) there is a shorter connection the same day (1 hour 35 mins)
2) reward tickets, of any class do not qualify for STPC.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
I have an 18hour connection - did it deliberately to see Doha.

Will it be more economical for me to arrange my own hotel, visa or to book a self-paid STPC to QR?

Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by tycosiao
I have an 18hour connection - did it deliberately to see Doha.

Will it be more economical for me to arrange my own hotel, visa or to book a self-paid STPC to QR?

Thanks
A bit of a open ended question. What standard of hotel do you require ?
Yes you can do it cheaper by yourself if you wish - look at TA for hotel pricing and ratings. You then also have to factor in the airport transfer which you have to organise/pay for.

The paid STPC is a package.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Originally Posted by in2it54
A bit of a open ended question. What standard of hotel do you require ?
Yes you can do it cheaper by yourself if you wish - look at TA for hotel pricing and ratings. You then also have to factor in the airport transfer which you have to organise/pay for.

The paid STPC is a package.
I was looking at the IC doha city.

What hotel does the paid STPC provide?

Im traveling in I if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Recent experience with a paid STPC, just back from round trip to JRO through Qatar:
Booked Business (U code) with AA FF (yep, AA not Qatar).
Asked AA for the Qatar reservation number
Called Q customer service with the Q number and no problem booking the paid STPC.
Layovers were well more than the minimum needed.
Hotel was the Rotana. Nice for a night.

Side note - love the Doha airport but found it weird that the Business class buses (when needed) run after the economy. We took the economy bus so we didn't have to wait around in the airport. Much nicer to wait on the plane with a glass in hand :-)
AJ
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by aj411
Recent experience with a paid STPC, just back from round trip to JRO through Qatar:
Booked Business (U code) with AA FF (yep, AA not Qatar).
Asked AA for the Qatar reservation number
Called Q customer service with the Q number and no problem booking the paid STPC.
Layovers were well more than the minimum needed.
Hotel was the Rotana. Nice for a night.

Side note - love the Doha airport but found it weird that the Business class buses (when needed) run after the economy. We took the economy bus so we didn't have to wait around in the airport. Much nicer to wait on the plane with a glass in hand :-)
AJ
Was your base fare more than $400?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.