Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: QR Platinum; A3 Gold
Called QR today and confirmed that there is indeed a new rule of USD400.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: TK E+, AS Gold
Originally Posted by hiroaki27
Called QR today and confirmed that there is indeed a new rule of USD400.
Wow, good to know. Thanks for the confirmation.

Originally Posted by lovefly88
Thanks for the reply. I was seeing anywhere from $28 to $100. We have a 9 hour layover from approx 5:30pm - 2:30 am. I went to the corniche in Abu Dhabi last year and was so glad I left the airport during my 13 hour layover. Would you say it's worth it to get out?
Yes, Doha is pretty small and the entire area around the Museum of Islamic Art/Souq Waqif/Corniche is very walkable and lively at night. Temps will also be much cooler in the evenings. The lounges for Y pax are terrible, so getting out and having dinner in the city is definitely recommended.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
I've searched the thread and haven't seen an answer to quite this question.
We have tickets that are eligible for a paid stopover hotel/visa. Called, they confirmed and they took some basic travel info and confirmed passport numbers and names.
Said next step is that we'd get an email from QA with number to call for payment.
The email wasn't immediate which is fine but wondering how long it would typically take to get that email.
Not traveling for a while but don't want to wait too long if something didn't get entered correctly/

Thanks,
AJ
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by aj411
I've searched the thread and haven't seen an answer to quite this question.
We have tickets that are eligible for a paid stopover hotel/visa. Called, they confirmed and they took some basic travel info and confirmed passport numbers and names.
Said next step is that we'd get an email from QA with number to call for payment.
The email wasn't immediate which is fine but wondering how long it would typically take to get that email.
Not traveling for a while but don't want to wait too long if something didn't get entered correctly/

Thanks,
AJ
Happened to me too.
I just called back a few days later, said i didnt receive email, they sent it then.

But its not necessary to get the email - you can just go the the transfer desk when you arrive, before going to immigration, go to the transfer desks, they can sort you out a hotel there.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
A little off topic but dont want to start a new thread;

We have 7 hrs in DOH travelling back from SIN to OSL in June in I class.

2355-0650

i know we dont qualify for free STPC can we pay for one/ Is it worth booking a cheap hotel for a few hours outside or will it be too much of a pain and we should just use the business lounge?

many Tx
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by simonsmith
A little off topic but dont want to start a new thread;

We have 7 hrs in DOH travelling back from SIN to OSL in June in I class.

2355-0650

i know we dont qualify for free STPC can we pay for one/ Is it worth booking a cheap hotel for a few hours outside or will it be too much of a pain and we should just use the business lounge?

many Tx

If you wish to use a hotel outside the airport you will need to apply for a vistor visa which cost USD $69 per person. There is the option of the airport hotel, they advertise rooms starting at USD $233 but you may find a better deal contacting them directly on email [email protected]
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by LionRed
If you wish to use a hotel outside the airport you will need to apply for a vistor visa which cost USD $69 per person.
Unless it has changed since last week, a single entry visitor visa is QAR100, or about USD27.50
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:43 am
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
Forgive me if this has already been answered; I've looked back through the last few pages.

Does the business promo R fare qualify for STPC? I'd imagine it's probably below I in the hierarchy. I'm looking at Birmingham - Sydney - both ways have horrendous c.20 hour layovers. The STPC would make that bearable.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by 27R
Forgive me if this has already been answered; I've looked back through the last few pages.

Does the business promo R fare qualify for STPC? I'd imagine it's probably below I in the hierarchy. I'm looking at Birmingham - Sydney - both ways have horrendous c.20 hour layovers. The STPC would make that bearable.
I have just received free STPC for my return leg LAX to JNB and I am booked in R class.

My connection is also not the shortest available, but shortest is more than 8 hours.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Happened to me too.
I just called back a few days later, said i didnt receive email, they sent it then.

But its not necessary to get the email - you can just go the the transfer desk when you arrive, before going to immigration, go to the transfer desks, they can sort you out a hotel there.
Just to confirm, they've agreed I am eligible but the agent was unclear of the process at the airport - at one point he said I went through transfers and then he said arrivals. Reading this post I think you are saying I go through arrivals and do not clear security as a transfer - can anyone give me guidance?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
Just to confirm, they've agreed I am eligible but the agent was unclear of the process at the airport - at one point he said I went through transfers and then he said arrivals. Reading this post I think you are saying I go through arrivals and do not clear security as a transfer - can anyone give me guidance?
Just before the security for transfers there a bank of info desks that you go to for STPC (even if you already have an email? As this is where we were given our official STPC documentation, despite being confirmed by email well before, so assume that this is always required).

We were then directed to the business class arrivals to go through immigration and to then be collected and taken to the hotel.

On a side note... This is where QR really fell down. We queued for 45 mins (one person on at passport control in the J arrivals lounge) and then waited around for another hour to get a bus to the hotel. No-one really knew what was going on. Seems strange since they should have a good idea of volumes coming through both immigration (Qatar govt responsibility) or STPC in general (QR's fault).
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Originally Posted by mrvincent
Just before the security for transfers there a bank of info desks that you go to for STPC (even if you already have an email? As this is where we were given our official STPC documentation, despite being confirmed by email well before, so assume that this is always required).

We were then directed to the business class arrivals to go through immigration and to then be collected and taken to the hotel.

On a side note... This is where QR really fell down. We queued for 45 mins (one person on at passport control in the J arrivals lounge) and then waited around for another hour to get a bus to the hotel. No-one really knew what was going on. Seems strange since they should have a good idea of volumes coming through both immigration (Qatar govt responsibility) or STPC in general (QR's fault).

Thanks a lot, Ive now got the email. I fear I will be at a peak time so will be prepared
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
followup on email confirmation

well it took over a week but I finally have a receipt/confirmation of our paid stopover hotel/visa package. [I knew it had been charged on card but feel better now that we have the email.

There are specific directions on the email of the process to go through at the airport for the Oryx Rotana hotel (where we are booked).

Separate random thought, no guarantees, but something to try for those with an AA miles ticket:
it might be worth getting the QR booking number and using that when you contact QR rather than the AA booking number.

AJ
Old May 3, 2016, 7:03 am

can i check if 8 hours is considered as eligible for stopover package?

how to i top up for the STPC for O class?
Old May 3, 2016, 8:19 am

tboons since connection times are stated by QR as 'UNDER 8 HOURS' and 'BETWEEN 8 AND 24 HOURS' then 8.00 hours should be permitted as per http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page.

Booking class O as well as award redemptions do not qualify for free STPC but they MAY qualify for Paid STPC. You need to talk to your local QR office about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.