Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Sorry, lost track of what year is what.
The amount of tier points ("Q-points") in your account on the 31 dec determines your next year status. So in your case you will have >50 Qpoints when 2013 ends and thus have burgundy during 2014.

Your membership card online (as shown in your profile) will then say "Expiry: 31 dec 2014". The extension to feb is only made on the physical card.

Your q-points will instantly be set to zero on 1st jan. Even if you add q-points on the 1st enough to raise your tier, you will still be evaluated as of 31 dec and your status online will be reset accordingly. So the "extension" is a bit strange as it is only made on the physical card.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
Well, it takes time to send out the cards. I guess that's why the physical card is valid until February.

I usually travel over Xmas and New Year, so it's nice my card is also valid for the return flight.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by kataka
Well, it takes time to send out the cards. I guess that's why the physical card is valid until February.

I usually travel over Xmas and New Year, so it's nice my card is also valid for the return flight.
It is useless if the card has a valid date until Feb. As stated several times your status will reset on 1 Jan, so if you didn't requal for status then a card that shows bad to Feb is useless.

Anyways I hope the OP realizes Burgundy is worthless, unless you have a family. Then you can start receiving miles for your kids fights. Funny as most airlines you can earn full miles value for your kids flights without requirement to earn status with the FF. However, QR requires you to earn status so you can earn 50% of the miles earn for your Childs fight. What a joke.

Anything below silver is a waste IMHO and should be credited to another FFP if you can and don't expect to qual for silver.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:18 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes, you are reset at 1 jan, so the extension is odd, as I said above. But it is for real - Qatar rep has stated on FT that they will acknowledge the card until feb even if your factual status have been downgraded.
I assume, without actual knowledge, that the extension is only for the "offline" perks, like lounge and extra luggage, and not for the miles multipliers and other "online" perks.

Maybe you should let people decide for themselves if a status is valuable or not. For me burgundy was perfect. Got burgundy on my first flight and was able to use the extra luggage on the return.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Yes, you are reset at 1 jan, so the extension is odd, as I said above. But it is for real - Qatar rep has stated on FT that they will acknowledge the card until feb even if your factual status have been downgraded.
I assume, without actual knowledge, that the extension is only for the "offline" perks, like lounge and extra luggage, and not for the miles multipliers and other "online" perks.

Maybe you should let people decide for themselves if a status is valuable or not. For me burgundy was perfect. Got burgundy on my first flight and was able to use the extra luggage on the return.
This is not true as I flew in Feb after losing gold and was turned away from the gold lounge because my boarding pass showed I was silver and this is what the lounge lizards went by. Paid $40 and gained access to the gold lounge anyways. So 150 a qpoints is worth $40 and that was when I decided QR status was worthless. But if course value is up to your $

I would expect this to apply to extra luggage as you are granted these perks only based on what the system shows your status is at time of check in and not a card.

Last edited by kmcbrid2; Jun 2, 2013 at 10:49 am
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:11 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
This is not true as I flew in Feb after losing gold and was turned away from the gold lounge because my boarding pass showed I was silver ...
OK, very interesting and sad news. It goes against what Alex stated, but I guess he was wrong, or the rules changed. I guess then the "Valid until feb" is only printed so stop everyone from calling and asking for the new card.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:44 am

Programs: QR platinum, HH diamond, Hyatt GP diamond, UA Premier Gold
I would not be surprised if there's a difference in how it works in Doha, where the lounge has online access to the membership registry, and how it works in the other 105 or whatever it is now airports.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by f97johan
I would not be surprised if there's a difference in how it works in Doha, where the lounge has online access to the membership registry, and how it works in the other 105 or whatever it is now airports.
It is no different. I was turned back at the Lounge in phuket becuase my boarding pass did not include my status on it. I had to walk all the way back to ticketing counter for them to print off new boarding pass with my elite status. Showing the lounge my card didn't matter as all lounges are outsourced by QR. I believe even the gold (oryx) lounge is also outsourced and open to other airlines, credit cards and to anyone willing to pay $40.

I'm not sure the gold lounge has online access to the membership registry. I think the computers are only used to log who will be charged for each guest entering the lounge; CC company, airline, or QR.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver, Carlson Gold, QR Burgundy
Originally Posted by aboerr
acaron,
if you earned your burgundy level in 2013, just get the upgrade now, of course it is valid all of 2014.
It's valid the current year you earn it, and the next year.
That's great! I did earn it in 2013. So, I can expect to keep it through all of 2014? I just want the extra baggage allowance.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:07 am

i think the additional miles is helpful and silver for me is good enough for short stopover. I hope the new airport has a better silver lounge.

it is very hard to get miles on CX, SQ and LH, (AA requires AA trips and from Singapore, its hard) and their economy service is worse than QR and QR has very competitive fares. from SIngapore, i think QR gives the best option of FF program even though there is room for improvement. Hopefully, when they join OW, and the membership level remains, then we can look forward to better lounge access!
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:07 am

Cash uprade possible on QR flights?
We do our honey moon trip to Malaysia via Doha and would be nice to experience C-Class.
Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: QR platinum, HH diamond, Hyatt GP diamond, UA Premier Gold
One thing that I've been wondering ever since I first landed in Doha -- what is actually the satellite transfer terminal? Where is it? Who uses it?

I know there's a small-ish square glass building over by E, is that it?

I've never seen any actual reference to it other than the route map in the busses and in the information movie shown before landing at DOH.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by f97johan
One thing that I've been wondering ever since I first landed in Doha -- what is actually the satellite transfer terminal? Where is it? Who uses it?

I know there's a small-ish square glass building over by E, is that it?

I've never seen any actual reference to it other than the route map in the busses and in the information movie shown before landing at DOH.
The Al thani's and other government officials, that should answer the other questions
Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:24 am

see only these on their website
http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...es&mid=7&sid=1

ANA
Established in 1952, All Nippon Airways (ANA) is a leading Japanese provider ...View more
ASIANA
Every journey begins with the first step. Asiana, took that first step in 198...View more
GOL
GOL Linhas Aéreas Inteligentes S.A. (Bovespa: GOLL4 and NYSE: GOL), the large...View More
MEA
Middle East Airlines, the national airline of Lebanon, is one of the leading ...View more
US AIRWAYS
US Airways, along with US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express, operates ne...View more
VIRGIN ATLANTIC
It’s a big, wonderful world, and Virgin Atlantic is proud to fly to 33 of its...View more
Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:25 am

Qatar - United ended when ?

Anyone knows when Qatar /United partnership ended. My return leg on Qatar in Nov 2012 has not been credited .

Any chance I can get these miles?

Regards,
Raghu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.