Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by impeymac
Thanks for that.

Seems odd you can maintain status with an airline without ever going near them, to me at least, but if them's the rules... Having said that QR are notorious for going their own way. And when I say QR I actually mean their CEO.
In theory it may seem odd, but in reality the number of people using FF programme this way is very very low.

What QR may do, is to have fewer fare classes eligible for earning on OW flights, and let OW flights have lower rate of qpoints earning than on QR flights. That is pretty typical for most OW programmes. This way, there is a two fold loyalty mechanism - even if there are multiple OW airlines serving the route you are looking at, you are more likely to choose your home carrier, since that will pay better in miles.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Paulchili
What is the timetable for checking/redeeming award availability with QR?
I know that BA and QF FFs can redeem awards in their programs at T-350 while AA FFs only at T-330.
TIA
Does anybody have an answer to this?
TIA
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jagxj6man
Actually the Business class on QR 777-ER300 as as good a some first class cabins.
Thanks for your comment. I'm looking at this in light of an AONE4 in the not too distant future (if you're not yet familiar with this term, you will be when QR joins OW!) so getting proper F is a real interest.

cheers,

Henry
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by henry999
Thanks for your comment. I'm looking at this in light of an AONE4 in the not too distant future (if you're not yet familiar with this term, you will be when QR joins OW!) so getting proper F is a real interest.

cheers,

Henry
FYI- QR only fly's three classes of service on 4 of its routes; DOH-London, DOH-CDG, one other european destination and to Mumbai I think.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Thanks for that.

Seems odd you can maintain status with an airline without ever going near them, to me at least, but if them's the rules... Having said that QR are notorious for going their own way. And when I say QR I actually mean their CEO.
But that's how it works in an alliance.

Alliances were created as a first attempt to circumvent ownership/merger restrictions, in a sort of attempt to mimic the creation of a single "virtual" airline. Oneworld members generally have to acknowledge, and reward, any fliers from their partner airlines as if they were (sort of) like their own.

When an airline with which you hold status is part of an alliance, all other airlines in the alliance recognise your status when flying with them (Of course, the "perks" may not be identical to what you receive from your native airline, but there is a minimum-standard which applies alliance wide). It would therefore be perverse *not* to enable you to maintain status when flying with alliance partners.

Some airlines place absolutely no restrictions - you may rarely fly, or have never even flown, on that particular airline, but you can still gain status [and reward miles] by flying on that airline's alliance and other partner airlines. (bmi was such an example in Star Alliance, it was hugely popular for its incredibly generous frequent flyer programme and it had many FFP members all around the world who rarely, if ever, flew with bmi. My first Qatar flights were actually booked to my bmi Diamond Club account - QR/BM had a FF partnership back then. Award miles only, not status)

Airlines are free to set their own riders on this. And the "generosity" can vary depending on which airline you fly with. Within oneworld, for instance, BA has a requirement that at least 4 flights must be made each year on BA flights (but in reality, any flight booked and flown under a BA flight code - whether operated by BA or not - counts) in addition to the Tier Point requirements for Gold, etc. While BA and Qantas were in a joint business, BA status holders got bonus Avios on Qantas flights- this no longer happens.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Yes, I now know that's how an alliance works, thanks to the previous answers last week!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:00 am

Now that QR are accepting BA frequent flyer numbers, how does one add it to an existing flight in manage my booking?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:08 am

Thanks for that.

For reference, BA require you to fly 4 sectors a year with them, and they do enforce it.

Cathay (to my knowledge) don't require you to fly with them, but you'd be mad to choose their competitors over them.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Seems odd you can maintain status with an airline without ever going near them,
Actually, you can maintain OW Sapphire status without even getting on an aircraft.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 3:30 pm

I'm hoping to be able to redeem some Avios on a MUC-DOH-MCT-DOH-MUC family trip (2 adults, 1 child, 1 baby).

Q1: MUC-DOH looks like it's now all 787, so Y or J, hoping for 3 seats in business. Do we know how many redemption seats QR currently open up per flight? Do we know how many redemption seats QR are likely to open up to OW partners (BA in my case) from October onwards?

Q2: DOH-MCT looks like it's only F or Y. F might seem extravagant for such a short flight, but without it we won't get the premium terminal at DOH, and for a family I think that might be a big plus. Comments?

Q3: The outbound connection gives us 1h10min at DOH. Is this a bit tight?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Originally Posted by shorthauldad

Q2: DOH-MCT looks like it's only F or Y. F might seem extravagant for such a short flight, but without it we won't get the premium terminal at DOH, and for a family I think that might be a big plus. Comments?
All QR flights in the Gulf region are F at the front of the plane, no J.

It isnt really all that extravagant, usually an Airbus 320/321. If you book your trip J class, your short hop from DOH-MCT will get you an F class seat.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by tomnativenewyorker
It isnt really all that extravagant, usually an Airbus 320/321. If you book your trip J class, your short hop from DOH-MCT will get you an F class seat.
That would be true if I was paying cash, but since this is a miles redemption I'll have to pay triple the miles (BA Avios) to get DOH-MUC in F rather than Y (13500 rather than 4500, one-way).

I'm not sure paying 13500 miles (each way, x3 pax) for a 1h flight makes a lot of sense for the flight itself, but to get access to the premium terminal ...?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
I'm not sure paying 13500 miles (each way, x3 pax) for a 1h flight makes a lot of sense for the flight itself, but to get access to the premium terminal ...?
You should ask whether it's worth to avoid the general transit terminal. The answer can very well be yes!

But apart from the joke, can't you book thruin J and get the next available cabin (intra-GCC F) which is practically J? I mean it's the same A320/1s that fly to most of Europe - selling Y and J.
Is this Avios redemption restriction?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: OWS, *A G

Q3: The outbound connection gives us 1h10min at DOH. Is this a bit tight?
This is easily doable, MCT at DOH is 30 min I believe. I have heard of cases when a car was waiting for the passenger to be transferred directly to the connecting flight.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:45 am

Qmiles Privelege Club account inactive

Hi!

my privelege club account has not been activated even after sending emails thrice to Membersvc@​qmiles.com along with the membership form and my passport copy.I have even logged in and updated my profile.The last email I got from them says due to incomplete details in your application, your Privilege Club account is currently incomplete.I m flying to Hongkong from dubai Via doha first class and dont wanna miss those Qmiles. Please let me know what should I do ?I even called the qatar airways Qmiles privelege club helpline in dubai but there was no answer.My privelege club member nos is xxxxxxxxx

thanks
aziz moezali

Last edited by Zol; Sep 19, 2013 at 12:19 pm Reason: Personal details

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.