Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Rydad1
I am arriving back to Doha from Cairo on Egyptair at 620pm.

My flight from Doha-New York departs at 810pm.

Will I have enough time to catch my QR flight once I land at DOH or should I try to take the 11pm QR flight instead?
Is this on a single ticket. If yes, 1 hour 50 mins is plenty of time and if there is a delay QR will accommodate you on the next available flight. DOH airport was built as a transit hub and connections are easy. If you need to exit the airport and check back in, 1h50 is cutting things a little too fine.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:56 am

I have very little knowledge of the QR scheme and wasn't able to find an answer to this question (I'm sure it's out there somewhere, I just failed to find it).

Are you able to book flights for other people with your QMiles without you flying yourself?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Garudamiles, Krisflyer and Qmiles
Originally Posted by NavSTL
Sorry for the silly question, but I've been having a hard time finding this info from official sources: can one transit DOH with pork products in one's possession if not actually passing through customs? Normally I would just assume that without a border crossing, no sweat (especially since DOH has alcohol sales airside), but I've noticed when it comes to overnight transfers there is some accommodation made for alcoholic beverages that does not exist for pork. I ask because I have a 4-hour connection coming back from Spain (not passing through immigration), and would not want to be hauling jamon iberico if the Qatari authorities will have beef (heh). Thanks in advance!
I had the same question because of some famous dutch smoked pork sausages i want to bring with me and I found out on the officlal website of Hamad International Airport that if you are just transferring at doha airport, it doesn't say that pork is prohibited (last column on the security customs page. It does say it's prohibited if you're entering or leaving
(departure and arrival column) Qatar and passing thru the customs area. I would gladly post the link here, but since I haven't reached the 5 posts yet, I can't post it haha
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by mlqsko
I agree. Need to travel on one of these dates and noticed the same. Complete blackout.

just found! They might have seen it and fixed it
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Another question re connections:
I have a QR flight from ARN to DOH and then on to SIN in July departing 17.40 from ARN. I have a flight from LHR to ARN due to arrive 14.55, which hopefully should give me enough time to get to QR lounge pre-departure. However, I notice on the T&Cs for QR that they say " in the event you do not show up for any flight without advising us in advance with minimum three hours prior to flight departure, your return or onward reservations will automatically get canceled by the system and will be subject to the applicable penalties and fees."
Will my 2hr 45min gap between arrival from LHR and departure ARN trigger the reservation cancellation by QR or should I notify them (if so how)?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by higham44
Another question re connections:
I have a QR flight from ARN to DOH and then on to SIN in July departing 17.40 from ARN. I have a flight from LHR to ARN due to arrive 14.55, which hopefully should give me enough time to get to QR lounge pre-departure. However, I notice on the T&Cs for QR that they say " in the event you do not show up for any flight without advising us in advance with minimum three hours prior to flight departure, your return or onward reservations will automatically get canceled by the system and will be subject to the applicable penalties and fees."
Will my 2hr 45min gap between arrival from LHR and departure ARN trigger the reservation cancellation by QR or should I notify them (if so how)?
It is not when you arrive at the airport, it is in case you are a no show, and don't inform QR a minimum of 3 hours in advance. So if you can't make the connection you need to let QR know 3 hours in advance. The time you leave London will be a clear indication of that.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is not when you arrive at the airport, it is in case you are a no show, and don't inform QR a minimum of 3 hours in advance. So if you can't make the connection you need to let QR know 3 hours in advance. The time you leave London will be a clear indication of that.
My BA flight is on a separate ticket to that of QR flight (taking advantage of the sale price). I guess I need to notify QR of that - via phone? Would QR online check-in prior to departure from UK help? I'm likely to be travelling hand luggage only.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
My BA flight is on a separate ticket to that of QR flight (taking advantage of the sale price). I guess I need to notify QR of that - via phone? Would QR online check-in prior to departure from UK help? I'm likely to be travelling hand luggage only.
You don't need to do anything, unless your flight is late and you are going to miss the connection. If you arrive in normal time, and catch the flight no need to do anything. If you are traveling HBO, just check in online and show up at the gate in time for boarding.

PS QR does not have their own lounge in Arlanda, the use the Swedavia, airport operated, lounge.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:06 am

Thanks for your help. Is it an easy transfer from BA arrival terminal to QR terminal? I guess that the lounge is functional rather than worth spending much time in?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for your help. Is it an easy transfer from BA arrival terminal to QR terminal? I guess that the lounge is functional rather than worth spending much time in?
​​​​​
BA is in T5, QR is in T2. There is about a 20min walk from one to the other through T4 and T3.

I m also getting the same QR departure from ARN but have selected the BA flight arriving just before midday as my appetite for risk is lower. I will probably have to loiter in the public side of the airport for about an hour or so after getting though immigration, baggage claim and customs. If there is any significant delay on the later flight your options to recover from the delay are very limited.
​​​
​​​​It does sound like the lounge is more functional than aspirational.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA arrives at T2 QR leaves from T5. There are two options.

One, you can go through passport control and arrivals, walk 10 to 15 minutes and then go through security in T5. If you decide to check luggage you would need to do this anyway.

Two, there are interterminal busses from T2 to T5. They operate on a call basis, it can take a bit for them to appear. If you are on a UK passport or other EU passport it might be quicker, or same time to walk. If you go the the Scandinavian Airlines forum and look for the Arlanda connection thread, there are details about the busses.
plunet likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by danam
I have very little knowledge of the QR scheme and wasn't able to find an answer to this question (I'm sure it's out there somewhere, I just failed to find it).

Are you able to book flights for other people with your QMiles without you flying yourself?
Yes, but only for standard (1x Qmiles) awards not 2x.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Rydad1
I am arriving back to Doha from Cairo on Egyptair at 620pm.
I would be very surprised that Egyptair would fly from CAI to DOH as the blockcade is still active.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt4
I would be very surprised that Egyptair would fly from CAI to DOH as the blockcade is still active.
They do, usually with a stop in KWI. Seemingly Qatar never added a revenge blockade on aircraft from the other side.
(I checked, as I was as surprised as you were)

And it is still possible to transfer money between Qatar and at least UAE/Bahrain.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: Amex Plat
What is the best way to spend QMiles for class upgrades on, for example, CX routes? Do I have to book CX flight /upgrade using QR site, or I try to upgrade with Qmiles directly on CX site, or I need to transfer/convert QMiles into CX Marco Polo first?
The question goes to other OneWorld partner upgrades using Qmiles. I did tried to search, but it is a bit confusing, plus may be there are more efficient ways?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.