Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by shimps1
During the Transit city tour, should I get some QAR if I want to buy anything at the Souq Waqif? What is the custom for tipping in Qatar, such as for the tour bus driver, etc?
Everywhere basically takes credit card. No tipping.

If you get off the return and want to spend some more time in the city, you will need cash for a taxi back to the airport. You can extend the time in the city, just let the guide know.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Qatar Privilege Club
Newbie here

I'm planning on flying from Heathrow to Sydney via Doha in December. I currently have 12800 QMiles and want to upgrade both legs to business class (currently at 59000 QMiles). I have a few questions regarding this.

1. The QMiles for upgrading LHR to DOH is 20,000 and from DOH to SYD is 37000 equaling 57000, hence is it possible to upgrade the legs separately thus making it 2000 QMiles cheaper.

2. In terms of obtaining the required QMiles the most probable way is through purchasing them, however I would like to know if there are any cards I can use to obtain the required amount (I'm an Australian living in the UK under a work visa)

Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:13 pm

I am not sure if this belongs in the AA forum, or the QR forum, but the most significant carrier is QR, so I will ask here.

On 2/5 my wife and I are flying

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 7, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I am not sure if this belongs in the AA forum, or the QR forum, but the most significant carrier is QR, so I will ask here.

On 2/5 my wife and I are flying DSM>ORD depart 12:41 arrive 14:02 on an economy award ticket on AA (operated by American Eagle). Then, on a separate award ticket booked through AA, we are flying ORD>DOH>SEZ departing 18:10.

If something were to happen that caused the DSM>ORD flight to be delayed, cancelled, etc, would there be any protection for us on the QR segment? I have heard mixed things here, but hoping QR will help since we are in J (granted, award) and both are OneWorld carriers.

I am trying to make my mind up on when the point of no-return is. DSM>ORD is about a 6 hr drive, and if there is weather or something in DSM I would prefer to just skip the first leg and drive to ORD rather than risk a delay/cancel and miss the connection.

Along with the connection worries, is there any chance of through checking baggage DSM>ORD>DOH>SEZ? Or will we need to collect in ORD, and re-check with QR there?
You are not protected, that's the whole point of single vs. separate tickets. QR may or may not extend help, but they have zero obligation to do so.

I believe AA stopped checking luggage through over separate tickets, so you would need to collect your luggage at ORD and re-check it.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Along with the connection worries, is there any chance of through checking baggage DSM>ORD>DOH>SEZ? Or will we need to collect in ORD, and re-check with QR there?
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I believe AA stopped checking luggage through over separate tickets, so you would need to collect your luggage at ORD and re-check it.
Not to mention go landside (out of the secured area) at T3, exit the terminal, take the Airport Transit System to T5, check-in and recheck your bags there, and go through security there. However, with four hours, you should have plenty of time. The only things I can see becoming problematic are snow (I never connect at ORD in the winter) and mechanical issues with your first flight.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Not to mention go landside (out of the secured area) at T3, exit the terminal, take the Airport Transit System to T5, check-in and recheck your bags there, and go through security there. However, with four hours, you should have plenty of time. The only things I can see becoming problematic are snow (I never connect at ORD in the winter) and mechanical issues with your first flight.

Yes I was aware for the T3>T5 issue. I figure 4 hours is plenty of time to handle that, barring like you said, weather or mechanical. I guess I will keep an eye on the incoming flight to DSM and if it departs origin on time I will probably roll the dice and try to make the connection. If it departs late we will probably start driving.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:48 am

Anybody know if you can use the Business Class check in area in DOH if flying on an upgraded Y - J ticket using Qmiles?

QR Gold, so can use the "Emerald/Sapphire/Ruby Priority" check in which I think is slower than standard economy line.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by jah718
Anybody know if you can use the Business Class check in area in DOH if flying on an upgraded Y - J ticket using Qmiles?

QR Gold, so can use the "Emerald/Sapphire/Ruby Priority" check in which I think is slower than standard economy line.
dont know the rule, but did this last week without questions asked! but as we all know QR, it may be different next time...

oh wait, didnt do checkin exactly as i already had my boardingpass for the departing flight issued the day before. was just a one night stopover at a city hotel.

but i used the business class checkin area to enter the airport and pass immigration, which was fairly empty early in the morning. no idea how this will be at other times of the day.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:05 pm

I have a 10 hr DOH layover. Will I be able to get my bags at all or will QR hold them until the connection? I'm fine with it if they do, just need to know how to pack.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:02 pm

I have a 10 hr DOH layover. Will I be able to get my bags at all or will QR hold them until the connection? I'm fine with it if they do, just need to know how to pack.
on my 17hrs layover last week i was warned at check in, that i WONT GET MY BAGS during transit!

in my situation they were checked through!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as you are on one ticket, you will not see your luggage until the final destination. Anything below 24 hours will be checked through.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: Qatar, United
As a solo pax, I upgraded to business class from an offer but it's not letting me select my seat. This is on the A350-1000 from DOH. All the window seats are greyed out and it won't let me select the middle double seats without another pax.

What are my options here? Will I have an opportunity to get a window seat at check-in or at the airport?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Slides2019
As a solo pax, I upgraded to business class from an offer but it's not letting me select my seat. This is on the A350-1000 from DOH. All the window seats are greyed out and it won't let me select the middle double seats without another pax.

What are my options here? Will I have an opportunity to get a window seat at check-in or at the airport?
Check your flight on Exoertflyer, then you can see what is picked and what is blocked.
Slides2019 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Qatar, United
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Check your flight on Exoertflyer, then you can see what is picked and what is blocked.
Thanks. If a see an open seat, how do I pick it?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:20 am

Qatar Airways: Ramadam and alcohol-free lounges

I am wondering if 2019 is going to see the same alcohol restrictions at Qatar lounges in Doha.

Last year, I have experienced a complete dry visit to Al Mourjan lounge in May.

Have you already heard any annoucement about that from Qatar Airways representatives?

And what about Qatar lounge in Paris CDG?

Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.