Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:01 am

Are there any known bugs with the Android app? I'm asking because while doing a multi city booking I noticed the total price it is displayed up top is not correct at all and is very different from the total it is presented after you move to the confirmation screen. Can't post screenshots right now but I'll give you an example:

LHR-BKK, 27/12 - 596,21 GBP
SIN-ARN, 03/03 - 155,90 GBP

On the second flight screen, it shows flight one total value correctly up top. When you select the flight and fare you want for flight two, it displays the total price as 590,11 GBP. Then you move to the confirmation screen and it shows the correct total value, 752,11 GBP. And it is not related to fare or taxes because the fare is 415 GBP and taxes 337,11 GBP.

Edit: And just after posting this I found the reason: it's the Carrier Imposed International Surcharge (YQAC) that apparently it is not being displayed in the total price in the previous screen... makes no sense.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond
Remdk, can you help me with a baggage query please. We are returning from HKG, landing in DOH at 23:05, we have taken advantage of the free stopover and are back to London at 13:00 the following day (better a hotel than an overnight in a lounge!). What happens with our checked bags? Will they be checked all the way to LHR or will be have to collect them in DOH as we don't fly until the next day? We've been through DOH a couple of times but this will be the first time with a stop over. Thank you as always.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by skicowboys
Remdk, can you help me with a baggage query please. We are returning from HKG, landing in DOH at 23:05, we have taken advantage of the free stopover and are back to London at 13:00 the following day (better a hotel than an overnight in a lounge!). What happens with our checked bags? Will they be checked all the way to LHR or will be have to collect them in DOH as we don't fly until the next day? We've been through DOH a couple of times but this will be the first time with a stop over. Thank you as always.
It's less a question of the next calendar day, and more a question of the length of the stopover/connection. You have about a 14 hour connection. Your bags will be checked through from HKG to LHR. It's extremely unlikely that you'll have the option to short check to DOH; so make sure that you have everything you'll need in a carryon.
Richard Bell likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AA, Qatar, Delta, KLM
Trying to use Qatar Miles before it expires...

Hello All,

I'm so glad there is a flame-free thread cos I've been reading and reading but seem to have more questions than answers.

My, well my Dad's, situation is this :

1) Has 14,678 Qatar Miles,
2) Has AAdvantage number but previous miles had expired, ergo 0.
3) Recently has flown 4 different AA flights, but he hasn't requested credit yet
4) Will be flying back on 11/25 and accumulating Qatar miles of ~3000

He needs a 1 way flight MCO to JFK on 11/25 and wants to use his Qatar miles as 10K of them expire soon(I don't understand why....why are some miles expiring?). I looked at the chart and QR requires 15000 for a non-stop flight since its between 500-1K miles. What are his options?

I can see that he can buy 1000 miles for $35 and then "Request a flight". Does that mean its not guaranteed? Does he have even have a chance? I read few posts about an award flight being cancelled....is this the norm?

Could we request credit for his recent AA miles as QR miles instead on the AA site? I think I saw a post alluding to that. How long does it take to be credited?

Are some of my questions better suited for the AA thread?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
NewToMilesPr you should just forget about getting an AA award ticket with QR as QR partner award availability is usually super low.

Qmiles are valid only 3 years. It doesn’t work like with AA miles which life is extended each time you get more miles.

If you have soon to expire Qmiles, the best way to use them is to convert them into AccorHotels points : 4500 Qmiles for 1000 AccorHotels points which represent a value of 20 EUR.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4
NewToMilesPr you should just forget about getting an AA award ticket with QR as QR partner award availability is usually super low.

Qmiles are valid only 3 years. It doesn’t work like with AA miles which life is extended each time you get more miles.

If you have soon to expire Qmiles, the best way to use them is to convert them into AccorHotels points : 4500 Qmiles for 1000 AccorHotels points which represent a value of 20 EUR.

Hi Matt4, Thanks for the reply.
So the Qmiles are essentially worthless? No other option but AccorHotels? My Dad doesn't stay in hotels, but with family in the US. I'll look into though <sigh>

Is it true that after flying Qatar, he could request to get AA miles credit for the miles instead of Qmiles? He Just fills out the request form as normal on AA site with the Qatar flight info and gives them his AAdvantage number ? Since he's flying back on Qatar, I hope that's an option...no need to keep banking Qmiles IMO.

One last thing..is there a way to check/monitor the QR partner award availability? Could I inquire from AA? Also a lot of posts & threads imply that Qatar can cancel your award booking, what is that?

Thanks again

Last edited by NewToMilesPr; Nov 11, 2018 at 3:39 pm
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Qmiles are good for QR flight upgrades and QR award flights (but availability is often low).

You should be able to credit QR flights to AA after the flight but I don’t know how it works with AA. It’s more simple to give your AA number at check-in to automatically credit the flight on your AA account.

AFAIK there’s no way to check partner award flights availability with QR other than posting a request and waiting days for a (99% of the case) negative answer. Even if you can find AA award availability on any other OneWorld airline it doesn’t mean you’ll get availability with QR. QR seams to have a super low award inventory access on other OneWorld airlines or just super lazy customers service agents that found it faster to answer no rather than to spend 1 minute checking for availability...

I never heard about award booking canceled by QR for no reason. Where did you read that ?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond
Dr HFH. Thank you very much

Last edited by skicowboys; Nov 12, 2018 at 9:12 am Reason: missed a bit
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:01 am

Qmiles are good for QR flight upgrades and QR award flights (but availability is often low).

You should be able to credit QR flights to AA after the flight but I don’t know how it works with AA. It’s more simple to give your AA number at check-in to automatically credit the flight on your AA account.

AFAIK there’s no way to check partner award flights availability with QR other than posting a request and waiting days for a (99% of the case) negative answer. Even if you can find AA award availability on any other OneWorld airline it doesn’t mean you’ll get availability with QR. QR seams to have a super low award inventory access on other OneWorld airlines or just super lazy customers service agents that found it faster to answer no rather than to spend 1 minute checking for availability...

I never heard about award booking canceled by QR for no reason. Where did you read that ?
Thanks again Matt4. Due to the time crunch, it looks like my Dad should pay for this trip and hopefully he can use the Qmiles early next year before it expires.

>> I never heard about award booking canceled by QR for no reason. Where did you read that ?
There's a thread about the 5th below this one, but I did miss the "flight cancelled" part. I talked to QR earlier today and yes, they don't cancel....only AA can and its only when AA cancels the flight.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:33 am

So my Dad is leaning towards taking a chance and booking AA with Qmiles, I can see on the site that I can buy 1000 miles for $35. Does anyone know if it will post immediately?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:40 am

Yes, Qmiles will post immediately. However, as it has been pointed out before, it will be very challenging to get QR PC to find AA availability on the flights you want to book. It will be much easier to book the flight with AA miles, or get directly a cash ticket. (BA Avios could also work if there is award space available, and if you or your dad have any Avios).
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Mister P.
Yes, Qmiles will post immediately. However, as it has been pointed out before, it will be very challenging to get QR PC to find AA availability on the flights you want to book. It will be much easier to book the flight with AA miles, or get directly a cash ticket. (BA Avios could also work if there is award space available, and if you or your dad have any Avios).
Thank you for the reply. Dad is determined to give it a try since the prices for a 1 way ticket is starting at $350+ right now. We purchased the QMiles (1000 for $35) and sent in a request. Our back up plan is that he would have to reschedule his flight and even that would come in under the $350+ 1-way ticket.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
I still get confused by which economy fares are upgrade able. Are economy saver fares in O & N potentially upgrade-able with miles?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
I still get confused by which economy fares are upgrade able. Are economy saver fares in O & N potentially upgrade-able with miles?
Yes, if booked in Econ Saver

It's the Promo fares (and G/group) you need to watch out for.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by purple1addict

Yes, if booked in Econ Saver

It's the Promo fares (and G/group) you need to watch out for.
Thanks. I thought so but wasn't 100% sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.