Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K

I have numerous international QF flights coming up for Singapore and USA (Seattle) and I really do not want to go. QF has cancelled three of those flights and re-routed me via other cities. I just wish QF would do what other airlines have done and allow those with existing bookings to postpone our trips to a later date.

For me:
United has allowed me to change routings and dates for no fee.
Finnair has allowed me to change my city routings and postpone flights to November for no fee or fare difference
Alaska Airlines has been very good and allowed complete refunds
Even Air Asia issued me with a complete refund (BKK-PVG flight).

Qantas - existing fare rules apply. Do you think Qantas will be kind and allow passengers to refund or postpone especially since the WHO has now declared this a pandemic? It would seem that the policy of Qantas does not align with the WHO recommendation to minimalize movement.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: QF
Surly they will have to.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
@davistev , they have published a policy that is in relation to their own cancelled/reschedule flights. You should be able to get refunds on those of your bookings that have been affected.

https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...ronavirus.html

Where possible, customers will be reaccommodated to an alternative Qantas and/or partner airline option.

Where there has been an aircraft change which includes a change of cabin (e.g. First class not offered on the new aircraft type), customers will be reaccommodated to the highest available cabin on the same flight and offered a partial refund.

Customers who are not satisfied with the reaccommodated flights, please refer to Qantas Schedule Change Policy for alternative options.
https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...qantas-tickets
Process for Qantas Tickets (081)

Reaccommodating your Customer

Follow this policy if the Qantas schedule change causes a misconnection or is unacceptable for your customer.

The steps below need to be applied in the following order:
  1. Qantas (QF) flights can be rebooked to an alternative QF flight or connecting QF flights.
    Example: MEL QF LAX changed to MEL QF SYD QF LAX
  2. If the QF schedule change causes a misconnection, the connecting flight on another airline can be rebooked to an alternative connecting flight on the same airline
  3. If the connecting flight is not available on the original airline you can rebook to an alternative connecting flight operated by a oneworld airline as per the oneworld airline table below
  4. If none of the above steps are acceptable, you can reroute your customer in accordance with the ticketed fare rules and route map.
    Example: SYD QF DFW changed to SYD QF LAX AA DFW

If your customer does not want to hold their ticket in credit for future travel, you can request a refund of the Qantas (081) ticket when the schedule change is unacceptable.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 12, 2020 at 6:41 pm
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by serfty
@davistev , they have published a policy that is in relation to their own cancelled/reschedule flights. You should be able to get refunds on those of your bookings that have been affected.

https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...ronavirus.html

https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...qantas-tickets
Does this effectively mean that a schedule change can be used as a way of refunding flights which Qantas currently won’t refund due to coronavirus issues? We have an upcoming return to Australia that can’t be used, but which isn’t currently being offered a refund. There was, however, an email came through recently of a minor schedule change.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by go_around
Does this effectively mean that a schedule change can be used as a way of refunding flights which Qantas currently won’t refund due to coronavirus issues? We have an upcoming return to Australia that can’t be used, but which isn’t currently being offered a refund. There was, however, an email came through recently of a minor schedule change.
There has not been any information given as to what is an acceptable schedule change would look like to get a refund.

In my case, I just do not want to go on three trips to Singapaore and the USA next month. My flights have been rerouted but mostly I would get to my destination within a few hours of my orignal flights. Therefore - go pound sand - no refunds for me.

The policy that allows changes for all bookings after March 10th is purely for marketing to raise revenue. Customers who booked prior have no such rights - why?

However, I would love to be able to postpone my trips to October or November. As it stands now, Qantas has no provision for existing bookings made before March 10 to be postponed for 6 months due to the coronavirus. Qantas will reduce frequencies and consolidate flights but will not give passengers the option of travelling later when everything has calmed down a bit unless you pay the fare change and fare difference fees. The Australian government today issued a directive to Australians to avoid all non-urgent international travel.

If Qantas does not change their policy of "ticket rules apply", then I am sure I am not the only one who will lose their money to this airline. I am asking that Qantas change their policy to recognise that this is an extraordinary event (WHO Pandemic declaration and Australian Government recommendation to halt all non-urgent overseas travel) and allow people to postpone their flights till later in the year without penalty like other airlines have done.

Last edited by davistev; Mar 13, 2020 at 2:13 pm
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:13 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by davistev
......The policy that allows changes for all bookings after March 10th is purely for marketing to raise revenue. Customers who booked prior have no such rights - why?

However, I would love to be able to postpone my trips to October or November. As it stands now, Qantas has no provision for existing bookings made before March 10 to be postponed for 6 months due to the coronavirus. Qantas will reduce frequencies and consolidate flights but will not give passengers the option of travelling later when everything has calmed down a bit unless you pay the fare change and fare difference fees. The Australian government today issued a directive to Australians to avoid all non-urgent international travel.........
Using the term “booking” are you referring to the date of the creation of the reservation / PNR or are you referring to the date of the nominated flight?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

"Booking" as in when the tickets were purchased.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Philippine Airlines has just announced a one time free rebooking for all existing bookings regardless of when the tickets were booked. C'mon Qantas - do the right thing and allow your passengers to Rebook without penalties.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
In my case, I just do not want to go on three trips to Singapaore and the USA next month. My flights have been rerouted but mostly I would get to my destination within a few hours of my orignal flights. Therefore - go pound sand - no refunds for me.
It depends on what you define as a "significant change". Qantas define it as "a change that significantly impacts you and your travel plans".

This can be anything for the Passenger: change of aircraft type, change of routing etc. Maybe a "pub test" could be applicable.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/book-a-...-carriage.html
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Philippine Airlines has just announced a one time free rebooking for all existing bookings regardless of when the tickets were booked. C'mon Qantas - do the right thing and allow your passengers to Rebook without penalties.
I would suggest that you raise this with Qantas - this isn't a interface for contacting Qantas

If it is still operating the services, then it is not too surprising that it is not allowing free changes - if a flight is cancelled, then check conditions of carriage / legal provisions as to whether there is an entitlement to a refund
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: Qantas WP, United Platinum
I’m personally not in a great situation. Bought sale tickets for my family of 4 back in Dec for SFO to SYD on March 25th.

Im aware of the sale conditions, but damn, the cancellation fee essentially is more than what I paid for the tickets. 😐

Let’s hope Q comes to the party. Sadly going to have to miss my Dads 80th bday party.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I have tickets from NZ to SYD on Qantas, via MEL... now that NZ has a full stop travel ban (essentially by requiring everyone arriving to the country and ENTERING the country to self quarantine for 14 days) I wonder if I can get a full refund. I mean, my flight isn't for two weeks and we're not going anyway, but I really want a refund and not a credit.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I have tickets from NZ to SYD on Qantas, via MEL... now that NZ has a full stop travel ban (essentially by requiring everyone arriving to the country and ENTERING the country to self quarantine for 14 days) I wonder if I can get a full refund. I mean, my flight isn't for two weeks and we're not going anyway, but I really want a refund and not a credit.
NZ-MEL-SYD has no restrictions (currently)
When did you buy the tickets? Cash? You can only ask QF (but hard to phone). FT cannot reply for QF
Would expect more NZ<---->Aust flights to be cancelled/changed in the coming days/week. Demand will drop a lot, If rescheduled you should/may be able to get a full cash refund
How were you getting to NZ? When?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:46 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
These are the NZ Government rules for self isolation. They are not as restrictive as I expected.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/...self-isolation

Last edited by og; Mar 14, 2020 at 5:53 pm
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: QF
Agreed i think credit isnt fair on the passenger that paid cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.